Hardware Wii Speak drivers for Windows

LuigiPT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've searched, I truly did, but couldn't find anything.

First of all, I don't need advise on buying another headset/microphone. I have the WiiSpeak already and would like to use.
Me and my friends are planning on recording us playing games LOCALLY and instead of all using mics while we're in the same room it would be fun if we could get the Wii Speak to record our voices. Dunno how messy it would get with the sound TV, but we wanted to try.

But for all that to happen, we first need to get the Wii Speak to work so... Is there any change that there is some drivers out there?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nope, the wii speak requires firmware to be uploaded to it by the games when they initialize it. So there's zero chance of finding some windows drivers that support it.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
drivers pushing firmware to devices on init is not a new thing in the pc world
there is no driver because nobody cared, not because of fw

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Of course it's not new, but the firmware is proprietary - it would be illegal to rip it out of a game and incorporate it into a driver.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
that’s not uncommon either
you don’t incorporate it but let the installer grab a copy
that way you don’t have to distribute it and are out of legal trouble

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tueidj said:
Of course it's not new, but the firmware is proprietary - it would be illegal to rip it out of a game and incorporate it into a driver.
Not if you only did it for yourself and didn't distribute it. But that rules out 99% of the visitors of this forum (myself included).

QUOTE(WiiBricker @ Jul 5 2011, 10:05 PM) How about an open source driver? If I recall correct, marcan made a driver for kinect.
The difference there was kinect didn't need a firmware sent to it to make it work, it has firmware on it. The driver there "just" needs to read input and send signals. Which can be done completely from scratch.

In this case, I thing you'd have to reverse engineer the firmware completely and then write your own alternative. Even then I don't know if it'd be possible.

LuigiPT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I guess the thing is, no luck, hem? Well, at least I tried, guess the Wii Speak is going to near the TV again.

Spiringmovie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably should have mentioned that it looks like the firmware is encrypted.
Since there are a select number of games that have the capability of using the Wii speak, maybe they're have their own decryption keys? Some digging in the code of the games could prove to be useful in trying to find it. And if we could only find part of it, there would have to be an equation that would give us a decryption key. Kind of how Seedminer works to root a 3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUpG6mG9x2Y