Hardware Wii TV Remote Control (NTSC-U ONLY)

NewGBAXL

Professional Helirin Pilot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii's Settings (JP) have a hidden menu for configuring Wii Remote TV remote control settings. That is, using your Wii Remote as a TV remote, having the simple functions of Power, Input, Volume +/-, and Channel +/-.

Enabling this on US, PAL, & KOR Wiis would require more extensive modification.

With some reverse engineering, I found the variables (i.e. wii.month) associated with TV remote control!
They are
  • wii.tvrc (this is the state of the program)
  • wii.tvrc_maker (the maker)
  • wii.tvrc_type (this is Japanese for model)
It is in JavaScript, which luckily I know enough about it to write some simple code and inject it into Settings.

How to Use
Install the theme using MyMenuify MOD.
Go to Wii Settings -> Calendar.

Change the date to the following to activate. (You can change the date back after you have activated)
Year controls the make of TV. Years 2000-2014 change the models from model 0-14.
Date controls the model of TV. Dates 1 to MAX+1 change the model from model 0 to MAX.
Month controls the state. Months 1 to 4 change the state to 1 to 4. 1 Starts, 2 Saves parameters, 3 "Nothing to do", 4 Saves deactivates and exits (Source: internal)

Now you may be like, "How do I know what the make & model is?" Luckily, this was also included internally. I did not choose which makes/models are which #s.

[#] [Make] [# models]
0 Off?
1 Panasonic 4
2 Sanyo 2
3 Sharp 3
4 Fujitsu 2
5 Sony 4
6 Toshiba 2
7 NEC 4
8 Pioneer 1
9 Hitachi 6
10 Funai 8
11 Victor 3
12 Mitsubishi 7
13 Aiwa 5
14 ??? ???

Fun fact: these same 13 TV makes and their respective models are included in tvrc_DB.arc (TV remote control database) in TV Companion Channel

This theme is only compatible with NTSC-U (North American) Wiis, but you are free to edit the .mym to work with other regions, just give me credit :)

If you have one of these TVs and have subsequently gotten it to work, please reply with your Make & Model of TV, and the "Date" that you used to set it up in the Calendar.

Attachments

• TV Remote Control.zip
    2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by NewGBAXL,

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool stuff! A couple of questions.
Enabling this on US, PAL, & KOR Wiis would require more extensive modification.
This theme is only compatible with NTSC-U (North American) Wiis, but you are free to edit the .mym to work with other regions, just give me credit
Just to clarify, this is for NTSC-U Wiis right? Despite being sourced from NTSC-J?

Year controls the make of TV. Years 2000-2014 change the models from model 0-14.
Date controls the model of TV. Dates 1 to MAX+1 change the model from model 0 to MAX.
I think you're saying that Year is for the brand, and Date is for the number within that brand, but it's a little ambiguous since you're using model for both.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii remotes don't even have an IR blaster/LED, only an IR camera. Assuming these variables are even fully hooked up and whatnot, the hardware is physically incapable of being used as a TV remote (an IR camera next to an IR blaster LED sounds like it'd be asking for trouble anyway).

NewGBAXL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii remotes don't even have an IR blaster/LED, only an IR camera. Assuming these variables are even fully hooked up and whatnot, the hardware is physically incapable of being used as a TV remote (an IR camera next to an IR blaster LED sounds like it'd be asking for trouble anyway).
The Wii remote sends a signal which is then transmitted from the sensor bar off walls, etc back to the TV.

Cool stuff! A couple of questions.

Just to clarify, this is for NTSC-U Wiis right? Despite being sourced from NTSC-J?

I think you're saying that Year is for the brand, and Date is for the number within that brand, but it's a little ambiguous since you're using model for both.
The code itself is worldwide, but the html required to use the official GUI is only found in NTSC-J

yeah that was a typo. I'll fix the make / model in the instructions, thanks

Last edited by NewGBAXL,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The Wii remote sends a signal which is then transmitted from the sensor bar off walls, etc back to the TV.
This doesn't make sense. The sensor bar doesn't transmit signals it just provides 2 light sources for the wiimote to orient itself. A sensor bar can literally be replaced by two strategically positioned candles.

I haven't tested this personally, I have my doubts, but anyway if it works, it's definitely not working as it has been described.

Reactions: KiiWii

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't make sense. The sensor bar doesn't transmit signals it just provides 2 light sources for the wiimote to orient itself. A sensor bar can literally be replaced by two strategically positioned candles.

I haven't tested this personally, I have my doubts, but anyway if it works, it's definitely not working as it has been described.
I seriously doubt it too, but the only reason I'm not calling it impossible is because technically, the sensor bar LEDs are PWM'd from 12V down to 6 or 7, meaning maybe it's possible to blink/otherwise control them in software.

However if there is truth to these variables, I'd still lean more towards them being a cut hardware feature or something.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

I will guess that the Wii MIGHT be able to modulate the sensor bar's power supply. Then again there are eight to twelve LED's inside the sensor bar, will they be perfectly in sync without interfering with each other? The Wii was made more than a decade ago, will it still compatible with modern TVs?

In short, I would not be bothered with such apps even if it was not a scam.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did release a Wiimote-looking universal remote control in Japan.

https://wiki.raregamingdump.ca/index.php/Club_Nintendo_Wii_Remote_TV_Controller

But that's totally different from using the Wii itself as a TV remote - the Sensor bar-as-IR blaster thing does sound implausible/farfetched. You'd probably have to point the sensor bar at your TV.

OP also hasn't fixed the instructions like he said he would.

NewGBAXL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have the official document as to how it works but I'll have to dig it out

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Even if it works, I don't see this being very practical... when playing a wii game you're going to be accidentally adjusting the volume or changing channels, etc

Perhaps I'm just not getting it, maybe a video of it in action, showing real life practical applications would help me and other skeptics

Edit: if this is somehow tied to the system menu theme, I imagine this would only work when you're NOT playing a game, but only when you're chilling on the main system menu

Last edited by XFlak,

NewGBAXL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to get this working with a 4.3J japanese wii and sony tv. But no luck.

2005 - 01 - 04

The remote function is mentioned at the cutting room floor.

https://tcrf.net/Wii
So thanks for trying, I am aware about the TCRF article.

This functionality is included in TV no Tomo Ch. (JP only). (People incorrectly translated this "Television Friend Ch", supposed to be "TV Companion Ch")

WiiLink (https://wiilink24.com) is bringing back Japanese exclusive channels, including this one. Once they release it, you can check TV Companion Channel and if RC functionality works, then you can check this.

NewGBAXL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am working on getting TV Remote support on the Wii! I am starting with getting it running on ENG US Wiis first w/o translation, and after I can get it running I will translate it to English and enable it in other Regions & Languages

Here is a short clip of the first of 10 pages working.

Attachments

• 2021-10-12 17-10-27.mp4
    1.7 MB
Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, it's a parody iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life, or at least put you in 6 as a character.
    I don't think people would believe 10% of the things I have done lol thank god...
    I have a giant check list of impossible things, and I haven't done them all yet lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Was the pot farmer in San andreas
    I tell people I wrestled a 5 foot alligator and they get this smile like this guy is full of shit lol the reality is I am sad it got away.... I wanted a pet alligator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You live in Florida, so I believe it, you guys are crazy.
    At the time I would have probably fed it people lol
    Seriously cocaine not even once lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not even once, but 100's of times +2