Wii U discs have a high failure rate?

86houdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else noticed this? I have around 40 Wii U games, of those 40, 5 don't play anymore, despite having no scratches and being bought new. In comparison, I have around 80 PS2 games, none of which has had this issue. I have about 50 Wii games, none of which have had this issue. I know that Nintendo used a proprietary type of DVD for the Wii U, might be why?

The games that have failed are:
Mario Kart 8 - Got with the console bundle
Monster Hunter 3 - Bought new
Arkham Asylum - bought used
Twilight Princess - bought new
Black Ops 2 - bought new

If you're a collector like me, this is something to be concerned about. I'm selling off my collection before more fail. For example, I wanted to run some Zombies in Blops 2, havent played it in years, it constantly errors out despite being in perfect condition, seems like a disc rot issue to me.

Trophies
XP
Yeah, Wii U discs have a pretty bad problem when it comes to that. What's even worse, is it's completely random and inconsistent. I personally switched to all-digital when I still had my Wii U, but that answer to a collector is more of an insult than a suggestion to fix.

Don't know what to tell you other than to brace for it if it happens tbh.

android_advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when my Wii U was working and not having the 106-0103 errors, I got a used Mario 3D world from Gamestop and despite no scratches on the disc my Wii U would not read it. I got a replacement disc and had the same problem. My other discs at the time worked though.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All discs fail at some point. They dislike UV (sun) light for example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Now Wii U doesn't use modified DVDs but bluerays. So to get a fair comparision you should compare with some other system using bluerays, not with the PS2 (DVD).

A bit of googling shows bluerays in general have high disc rot issues (sadly all I find is in german, so won't link it).

86houdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Wii U discs have a pretty bad problem when it comes to that. What's even worse, is it's completely random and inconsistent. I personally switched to all-digital when I still had my Wii U, but that answer to a collector is more of an insult than a suggestion to fix.

Don't know what to tell you other than to brace for it if it happens tbh.
I ripped my games and I'm switching to digital only. It's an L for sure but I can still play everything.

All discs fail at some point. They dislike UV (sun) light for example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Now Wii U doesn't use modified DVDs but bluerays. So to get a fair comparision you should compare with some other system using bluerays, not with the PS2 (DVD).

A bit of googling shows bluerays in general have high disc rot issues (sadly all I find is in german, so won't link it).
I have like 50 PS3 games and have never had a game fail. The Wii U is the only system I've had this happen. Even the few Sega CD games I own play fine.

Trophies
XP
I ripped my games and I'm switching to digital only. It's an L for sure but I can still play everything.

If you do that then I'd also recommend getting an extrenal Drive as the Wii U's NAND also wears out rather quickly. So to avoid owning a glorified paper-weight, the best course of action is to reduce the amount of writes you're making to the NAND (I.E: Downloading / Installing to External Drive(s) instead of the NAND).

Reactions: 86houdini

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When pressed discs fail early it is – in my experience – a bad pressing affecting the whole batch. This is why searches in this regard might bring up certain movie titles. I see optical discs as rather stable over time (of course this implies careful handling as well as optimal storage) and way better than their reputation. Multi-layer discs might be more prone to errors, but Wii U discs are single layer.
At the end all storage media will fail. Not a question if, but a question when they will. Comparing the failure I've encountered in my life for various types of data storage:
  • Floppy disks → Beyond good and evil. They don't last. Period.
  • HDDs → Rather mature and stable technology. If they don't fail early, they seem to last 10+ years. I've had multiple HDDs fail though
  • Flash memory (SD cards, USB thumb sticks and the like) → Beyond good and evil. No matter if cheap or well known brand, I don't trust them as far as I can throw. I've lost track of the number of these which suddenly and completely failed for no reason.
  • MASK ROM → Zero failures until now.
  • SSD for PCs → Seem much more reliable than the removable simple flash counterparts. I've not enough experience with them yet to say something convincing.
  • CD/DVD/BD (pressed)
    • Two CDs from the same pressing failing, but only due to copy protection
    • One CD with a strange mark inside failing
    • One DVD without visible damage where I suspect overheating by the previous owner (attic storage?)
    • None of those examples became unreadable up to now. They could be backed up. Sometimes multiple reading drives are required. I own way over 1000 discs (audio CD, DVD video, BD video, PC games, PS1/2, GC, Wii, Wii U) ranging from the 1980s to brand new with zero showing irrecoverable disc rot.
  • CD/DVD (burned) → Garbage grade media repeatedly failed over the last two decades, often within few months. Good quality CD-R and DVD±R are still strong after 20 years. Not yet enough time passed to estimate BD-R
BDs might be a little more vulnerable because of the higher data density. I don't really know.

At the end all that stays is my signature: Backup your data! Else you will lose it at some point.

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone else noticed this? I have around 40 Wii U games, of those 40, 5 don't play anymore, despite having no scratches and being bought new. In comparison, I have around 80 PS2 games, none of which has had this issue. I have about 50 Wii games, none of which have had this issue. I know that Nintendo used a proprietary type of DVD for the Wii U, might be why?

The games that have failed are:
Mario Kart 8 - Got with the console bundle
Monster Hunter 3 - Bought new
Arkham Asylum - bought used
Twilight Princess - bought new
Black Ops 2 - bought new

If you're a collector like me, this is something to be concerned about. I'm selling off my collection before more fail. For example, I wanted to run some Zombies in Blops 2, havent played it in years, it constantly errors out despite being in perfect condition, seems like a disc rot issue to me.
I don't have that much of physical games (only around 10), but I tested older games like Nintendo Land that came with my launch Wii U from 2012, and still works fine.
Tried ZombiU and works fine, I'm now playing Bayonetta which I bought in 2014, and still works fine. Same for Splatoon...
Maybe the ambient where you live affects your discs health, also how you store it, although I don't do anything particular, just keep them in their stock box store in a place where sun doesn't reach (furniture).
Also my temperatures are not the best, since it's pretty humid from where I live and temperatures varies from being to hot, or sometimes cold. So idk.

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had a couple copies of Minecraft that were mint Do this to me. Pretty damned frustrating when you don't even see hairline scratches on the disk..... Thankfully I have only those two fail.

86houdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When pressed discs fail early it is – in my experience – a bad pressing affecting the whole batch. This is why searches in this regard might bring up certain movie titles. I see optical discs as rather stable over time (of course this implies careful handling as well as optimal storage) and way better than their reputation. Multi-layer discs might be more prone to errors, but Wii U discs are single layer.
At the end all storage media will fail. Not a question if, but a question when they will. Comparing the failure I've encountered in my life for various types of data storage:
  • Floppy disks → Beyond good and evil. They don't last. Period.
  • HDDs → Rather mature and stable technology. If they don't fail early, they seem to last 10+ years. I've had multiple HDDs fail though
  • Flash memory (SD cards, USB thumb sticks and the like) → Beyond good and evil. No matter if cheap or well known brand, I don't trust them as far as I can throw. I've lost track of the number of these which suddenly and completely failed for no reason.
  • MASK ROM → Zero failures until now.
  • SSD for PCs → Seem much more reliable than the removable simple flash counterparts. I've not enough experience with them yet to say something convincing.
  • CD/DVD/BD (pressed)
    • Two CDs from the same pressing failing, but only due to copy protection
    • One CD with a strange mark inside failing
    • One DVD without visible damage where I suspect overheating by the previous owner (attic storage?)
    • None of those examples became unreadable up to now. They could be backed up. Sometimes multiple reading drives are required. I own way over 1000 discs (audio CD, DVD video, BD video, PC games, PS1/2, GC, Wii, Wii U) ranging from the 1980s to brand new with zero showing irrecoverable disc rot.
  • CD/DVD (burned) → Garbage grade media repeatedly failed over the last two decades, often within few months. Good quality CD-R and DVD±R are still strong after 20 years. Not yet enough time passed to estimate BD-R
BDs might be a little more vulnerable because of the higher data density. I don't really know.

At the end all that stays is my signature: Backup your data! Else you will lose it at some point.
The only discs I have had fail have been the Wii U ones, they all just sit on the same shelf, I've got CDs my dad bought in the early 90s that play fine still. I think disc rot is not a big issue but I do find it strange so many Wii U discs failure.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a surprise to me considering Wii U discs are proprietary Blu-ray Discs (25GB). Not good. :-/

At least the games will always be digitally available should the discs become rotten.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Fun fact @SylverReZ: iirc one of the goals on the fnf Kickstarter stated that pico 2 would be finished but the Kickstarter didnt get enough money for that goal to be fullfiled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, FNF sucks, their community is toxic as hell.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ its a single player game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, Yea but it has a shitton of mods with their own songs and stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and quite a lot of people involved in those mods get cancelled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Newgrounds wasn't the birth of FNF; rather, it was games where you beat up celebrities and parodies.
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    FNF was born from Game Jams
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    Specifically Ludum Dare 47
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, and Sonic fights a la dragón ball z
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Texasauras, what do you need help with?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Texasauras, what do you need help with?