Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly, doubt it tho
  • WFS
    This file system handles NAND memory, USB storage, RAMDISK. Because the product version of save data is always located on the system NAND memory or USB storage, this FS runs when handling save data.
  • FAT
    This file system handles SD cards. But Wii U can not deal with exFAT.
  • ATFS
    This file system handles optical discs and MION HDD. When the PC block emulation: cafediscrun runs, this FS may access PC.
  • PCFS
    This file system handles PC. There are 2 boot modes: NAND boot and PCFS boot; however, when performing caferun the application on PC, PCFS runs in either mode.
I think they consider the eMMC 8GB of storage as "NAND" in SDK docs because developers have no need of accessing the "real" NAND, because I know for a fact that saves are stored in eMMC

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly, doubt it tho
  • WFS
    This file system handles NAND memory, USB storage, RAMDISK. Because the product version of save data is always located on the system NAND memory or USB storage, this FS runs when handling save data.
  • FAT
  • ATFS
    This file system handles optical discs and MION HDD. When the PC block emulation: cafediscrun runs, this FS may access PC.
  • PCFS
    This file system handles PC. There are 2 boot modes: NAND boot and PCFS boot; however, when performing caferun the application on PC, PCFS runs in either mode.
I think they consider the eMMC 8GB of storage as "NAND" in SDK docs because developers have no need of accessing the "real" NAND, because I know for a fact that saves are stored in eMMC
You guys are learning a LOT. I think with access to all files and possibly a way to monitor "apps" and utilities the Wii U uses that you could figure out the hard drive info.

If I download a game off the eshop it will use an external drive if I want it to. Are those signed in some way? What I am getting at is this; downloadable games are much smaller than disc sizes. Is it possible to add these games if people share them and can encrypt the hard drive or memory it is stalled on? That could solve the loader and make it "legit" for games. In theory, even if the exploits are patched, once we have the keys we can basically keep that avenue open. Lol, I know that is only piracy.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are learning a LOT. I think with access to all files and possibly a way to monitor "apps" and utilities the Wii U uses that you could figure out the hard drive info.

If I download a game off the eshop it will use an external drive if I want it to. Are those signed in some way? What I am getting at is this; downloadable games are much smaller than disc sizes. Is it possible to add these games if people share them and can encrypt the hard drive or memory it is stalled on? That could solve the loader and make it "legit" for games. In theory, even if the exploits are patched, once we have the keys we can basically keep that avenue open. Lol, I know that is only piracy.

The USB drives are definitely signed. When I played with the data on one, if I changed even ONE BIT, the entire drive was rejected. It most likely is RSA signed using a key from the OTP memory.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Zedd91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if you had all the keys you couldn't replace anything by your own code or patch anything on the NAND permanently.
Installed content is now verified on launch (this wasn't the case on the Wii).
This means no homebrew channel unless someone finds bug in their chain of trust.

Tough some major exploit can always happen but currently I'd say an emuNAND (UNEK? :P) is the best option.

Crediar thanks for Nintendont xD

Reactions: Margen67

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Possibly, doubt it tho

• FAT

Hmmmm, I see.
I know you dont like to talk (or at least I assume so) about loading game images, but....
I was quietly hoping that someday in near future we will be able to run games from SD Card, especially because noone seems to be working on decrypting WFS filesystem. Hearing that the WiiU cant deal with exFAT, does this make it impossible to be able to run a game from a SD card since those are around 25gb each?

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmmm, I see.
I know you dont like to talk (or at least I assume so) about loading game images, but....
I was quietly hoping that someday in near future we will be able to run games from SD Card, especially because noone seems to be working on decrypting WFS filesystem. Hearing that the WiiU cant deal with exFAT, does this make it impossible to be able to run a game from a SD card since those are around 25gb each?

If the wiiu hardware can read it, then it can be used to load games, this includes USB, SD, disc drive, wi-fi.

Edit: I should add 'technically' to this :)

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmm, I see.

What PhyChris said is approximately correct. To clarify, if the SD card can physically fit into the slot, then it is possible to read data from it. The only limitation is the software. The Wii U can't read exFAT because it's not programmed to read exFAT. To load games from larger SD cards, the Wii U must understand the filesystem. So, to load ISOs from a 128GB SD card, the Wii U's SD card-reading subroutines must be modified to allow a format like WBFS or NTFS or FAT32. Or, if the Wii U's subroutines are protected, then maybe a new SD card library must be written.

Reactions: PhyChris

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I see. Well what I originally meant (didnt write it very well) is that I was concerned because Fat32 allows up to 4 (i think) GB files. If the file size is above that you cannot put it on the Fat32 formatted storage device. Similar to PS3 FAT 32 usb drives where you had to cut files larger than 4 gb into several parts to be able to put them on the drive.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Well what I originally meant (didnt write it very well) is that I was concerned because Fat32 allows up to 4 (i think) GB files. If the file size is above that you cannot put it on the Fat32 formatted storage device. Similar to PS3 FAT 32 usb drives where you had to cut files larger than 4 gb into several parts to be able to put them on the drive.

4GB is the file size limit of FAT32. What exactly is your point? USB loaders automatically split ISOs when installing them to FAT32 drives and I've never seen any problems with split games before.

Reactions: KungFuzion

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
4GB is the file size limit of FAT32. What exactly is your point? USB loaders automatically split ISOs when installing them to FAT32 drives and I've never seen any problems with split games before.

I agree, I have all my ps3 games on a 2tb fat32 external. All split iso's (I use latest habib/cobra ;) ) Runs absolutely fine.
I can't see it being any different when it happens for the wiiu?

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
No, that's a physical limitation. Software cannot change that.

but when in wii u mode you can just plug in any hard drive in the back/front cant you? or do you still need y-cable. i think i used my 1TB before in the front port and it worked (no y-cable and doesnt have its own power source)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
but when in wii u mode you can just plug in any hard drive in the back/front cant you? or do you still need y-cable. i think i used my 1TB before in the front port and it worked (no y-cable and doesnt have its own power source)
preety sure even nintendo has on its main website advising to use self powered hdds

there is a reason why the wiiugc adaper made by nintendo also uses a y cable due to not having enough power also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM