Hardware Wii U to sell below 20 million by 2019

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
To the OP, it's ridiculous to say that this will happen.
I don't think the post is too presumptuous. Even the title uses "to" and not "will". "To" is more prospective whereas a word like "will" is more definitive.

My two cents on the subject itself: I honestly wouldn't be surprised. The Wii U is in the third year of its life. If Nintendo really pushes it, we are likely nearing the system's halfway point, and it has yet to sell 10 million units. Unless system sales spike for a long period of time, at its current rate of sales, the Wii U is unlikely to break 20 million sales in the long run, which is bad news for Nintendo. The Gamecube sold the better part of 22m worldwide and barely made a profit for Nintendo. Barely. Even if the Wii U has the same profit line, odds are against Nintendo reaching it.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
what about Xenoblade X ?
I think Bayonetta 2 proved that even if a Wii U game is amazeballs, if it isn't a core Nintendo first party game, it won't sell as well as a Nintendo first party game. Regardless of Xenoblade X's performance, even if it's a good Wii U game to add to the list, it won't exactly impact the Wii U, at least not in a substantial way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ummm, yes it was. It was the weakest of that generation. Just because it was the first to come out doesn't mean it wasn't underpowered. That's like saying the Wii U isn't underpowered.
You're confusing "comparatively weaker" with "underpowered", they're two different concepts. The fact that it had the lowest specs in its generation (although in some areas it was superior to the PS2) doesn't mean that it wasn't adequate. The Dreamcast met the par and ran multiplatform games just fine, so much so that its Quake 3 release was even compatible with the PC one. Underpowered, as the name suggests, means that the specs are inadecquate for the generation, that was not the case with the Dreamcast. Having the lowest specs does not automatically mean that the console is underpowered, it just means that there are beefier consoles. You have to compare the system with the par of the generation, not other systems. The difference between the Dreamcast and the Wii U is very simple - both systems are weaker than the competition, however while the Dreamcast can stand its ground against the PS2, the Wii U can't compete in the same league as the PS4 and the Xbox One.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You're confusing "comparatively weaker" with "underpowered", they're two different concepts. The fact that it had the lowest specs in its generation (although in some areas it was superior to the PS2) doesn't mean that it wasn't adequate. The Dreamcast met the par and ran multiplatform games just fine, so much so that its Quake 3 release was even compatible with the PC one. Underpowered, as the name suggests, means that the specs are inadecquate for the generation, that was not the case with the Dreamcast. Having the lowest specs does not automatically mean that the console is underpowered, it just means that there are beefier consoles. You have to compare the system with the par of the generation, not other systems. The difference between the Dreamcast and the Wii U is very simple - both systems are weaker than the competition, however while the Dreamcast can stand its ground against the PS2, the Wii U can't compete in the same league as the PS4 and the Xbox One.
Fair enough, but we all know that games could easily be ported to the Wii U since this isn't the 80s. That's how engines work.

Granted, they wouldn't look nearly as good as if they were designed specifically for the Wii U's bizarre specs, but it saying it couldn't be done is ridiculous.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, but we all know that games could easily be ported to the Wii U since this isn't the 80s. That's how engines work.

Not just could be, but should be. The Wii U is basically Nintendo's take on the Xbox 360, hardware-wise, so anything that is released on the 360 could not just feasibly, but easily work on the Wii U. It's just a shame that 3rd parties aren't taking the Wii U seriously, because in my opinion it's basically a vicious cycle of 3rd parties going "consumers don't like this platform and think it's going to fail, so we aren't touching it" and consumers going "before I even TRY this console, it needs better 3rd party/multiplatform games"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The gap between the Wii U and the PS4/XBO is huge, there's just no denying that. The multiplats available already illustrate that pretty clearly. Could games be ported over? Yes, in a heavily watered down fashion, but the same can be said about porting to last gens. I predicted that the Wii U will be adequate for about 2 years and that's exactly what happened - a tricore PPC7xx, an old Radeon and 2GB shared RAM can only take you so far, it's not even low end at this point, you have mobile CPU's speced competitively to that coming next year.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gap between the Wii U and the PS4/XBO is huge, there's just no denying that. The multiplats available already illustrate that pretty clearly. Could games be ported over? Yes, in a heavily watered down fashion, but the same can be said about porting to last gens. I predicted that the Wii U will be adequate for about 2 years and that's exactly what happened - a tricore PPC7xx, an old Radeon and 2GB shared RAM can only take you so far, it's not even low end at this point, you have mobile CPU's speced competitively to that coming next year.

Like I said, anything that came out on the Xbox One that was also backported to the Xbox 360 and didn't heavily suffer should comfortably make it on the Wii U, it's just that developers don't care/don't want to take the effort of learning the Wii U software architecture

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Look at the edit I made 2 seconds after pressing post

Reactions: Foxi4

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It goes back to the old question, what would Nintendo have done if they'd known both Sony AND Microsoft were going to sacrifice backwards compatibility in favor of a newer processor family. I think they would have done the same.
Nintendo for some reason prefers to see themselves as unique rather than competing against Sony/Microsoft.

On the box of Wii U it says that GameCube isn't compatible but when the vWii's hacked then it plays NGC games natively. I guess on the next Nintendo home console we won't be seeing NGC/Wii backwards compatibility but Wii U only which honestly is a step down as NGC/Wii have better games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It goes back to the old question, what would Nintendo have done if they'd known both Sony AND Microsoft were going to sacrifice backwards compatibility in favor of a newer processor family. I think they would have done the same.
I don't. I think Nintendo lives in a world of their own and plays a whole different kind of game. They dislike drastic changes in hardware and they're clearly in love with PPC and Radeon. If anything, they'd slightly improve the specs, but not to the point of losing BC. Nintendo spent a lot of money to keep PPC7xx alive, they have a contract with IBM and wouldn't walk away from it. Gecko/Broadway/Espresso is Nintendo's brainchild as much as CELL was Sony's at this point, it's natural for them to cling to it, even against all reason.

andeers

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
BS. Anyone with little statistics knowledge knows that you can't assume things like the source did. The only thing they are exposing by extrapolation is an exaggeration of the current situation.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
20 million by 2019...
Yeah but no, Wii U already sold more then 9 million.
Once the price drops on black friday etc, sales will go up again.

Wii U library might be shitty, but it isn't the Xbox.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...