Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
edit: The Smurfs Dance part shows a black screen after launch and Kirby's Return to Dreamland shows a white screen after pressing 2 on the intro page - just as previous WiiFlow versions did. Sigh
I don't recall any issues with Kirby RTD - I played that a fair bit when it came out. I'll test this out myself again. Have not got Smurfs though.
As far as I know there are only a few games left with issues - TinTin and Driver SanFran
You're on the latest cIOSx? Completely clean install?
BostonBC's had some problems with those games for a while now for some strange reason. I have both of them and they're working fine for me but it's like he just has a curse or something. I do wish you good luck.

I think I'll try messing with the settings, maybe, and see if I can BREAK it. Maybe I can happen upon whatever setting you have that way.

Edit : Just a stab in the dark, maybe it's a bad save file, have you tried with and without save emulation?
Wait, you had said previously that they do work with other loaders, never mind.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edit: The Smurfs Dance part shows a black screen after launch and Kirby's Return to Dreamland shows a white screen after pressing 2 on the intro page - just as previous WiiFlow versions did. Sigh
I don't recall any issues with Kirby RTD - I played that a fair bit when it came out. I'll test this out myself again. Have not got Smurfs though.
As far as I know there are only a few games left with issues - TinTin and Driver SanFran
I have multiple systems and all have the latest cIOSx - well V8 beta r41. I just saw that r42 is out but I don't know how that will fit into WiiFlow as the ModMii method of building them only gives cIOSx in slot 249 and 250.

And what the heck are the new 60/70/80 bases all about?

If anyone here can explain that would be terrific. Or better yet - point me to a download location for the v8r42 WAD's.

My kids haven't complained about TinTin yet but I don't know if they've played it. What is the issue with that and DriverSF?

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have multiple systems and all have the latest cIOSx - well V8 beta r41. I just saw that r42 is out but I don't know how that will fit into WiiFlow as the ModMii method of building them only gives cIOSx in slot 249 and 250.

If anyone here can explain that would be terrific. Or better yet - point me to a download location for the v8r42 WAD's.

My kids haven't complained about TinTin yet but I don't know if they've played it. What is the issue with that and DriverSF?
http://www.wiiflowiki.com/Wiiflow for the wads. Just install all 7 of them from the wad pack.
I think TinTin and Driver SF get freezes at certain points.
EDIT: sorry - just saw you said r42. Not sure about that but 41 is on that page.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

http://www.wiiflowiki.com/Wiiflow for the wads. Just install all 7 of them from the wad pack.
I think TinTin and Driver SF get freezes at certain points.
The wiki link has the r41 cIOS and r42 is out.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Modmii can build the new cios rev. in any slot, you just have to use advanced download

That's just neccesary is you want to test stuff S related, forget about it

See answer above, downloading them with modmii, to my opinion, is the easiest way.

Driver SF should work with the latest Wiiflow-mod, not yet with Wiiflow r417, also TinTin works a little better i think, not sure.

See bolded answers.

hitomiinlove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys! Wiiflow is God's gift to man, got everything working fine and I thought I'd leave my setup here, in case it helps anyone:

I completely forgot about my Wii for some good 2 years, until I picked it up again last week. It was already softmodded and I had always burned DVDs to run my games but then decided to switch to HDD, which is way more practical. The first thing I did upon messing with my Wii again was get the Syscheck app and run a test for my IOSes. Then I got the test results and used them on ModMii, to update all of my IOS files.

At first, I had decided to use USB Loader GX , so I took an NTFS hard drive (1TB 2.5" from Samsung) and created a WBFS partition to run my games from there.

Then I saw that Wiiflow had incorporated Nand Emulation and decided to switch to it so I could run Wiiware and VC games off of USB. I'm currently on r418 and my HDD now looks like this:

NTFS (USB1): WBFS folder, apps and wiiflow settings go here.
FAT32 (USB2): Emulated Nand stays here with all of my Wiiware and VC.

So far, I've been able to run all games I've tried, both on USB1 and 2 (well, maybe not all of them, Bonsai Barber gives me an error screen but I'll try messing with video settings and IOS selection later).

There's one little piece of info I'd like to leave here, though: I also have a 640GB HDD by Samsung that I couldn't for the life of me format to WBFS when I was using USB Loader GX, due to its sectors having 1024 bytes or something. When I started using Wiiflow, I thought that maybe it would work, since I wouldn't have to format it to WBFS... but it didn't. So just thought I'd give everybody the heads up (if I'm just writing nonsense, then somebody please correct me) that if you are unable to format your HDD to WBFS then you're probably not gonna be able to use it on Wiiflow or any other loaders either, even if you use NTFS or FAT32 file systems.

Oh, and I also remember some people asking a few pages back whether Rock Band 2 DLC would work if you set the game to use save data emulation. Well, I have set mine to FULL save game emulation and so far, it seems to work. Downloading songs is kinda slower now, but I think it's worth it if you can actually get DLC to run from USB.

Well, that's all, hope this helps somebody :)

EDIT: I haven't played the latest games, like Tintin and whatnot, so I'm not sure if those are working.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just thought I'd give everybody the heads up (if I'm just writing nonsense, then somebody please correct me) that if you are unable to format your HDD to WBFS then you're probably not gonna be able to use it on Wiiflow or any other loaders either, even if you use NTFS or FAT32 file systems.
WiiFlow, CFG and USB Loader GX works fine with FAT32 formatted volumes up to 2TB in size. Use the 'FAT32 Format' app if you have any problems. I've heard people use it with NTFS formatted volumes as well but haven't tried that.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modmii can build the new cios rev. in any slot, you just have to use advanced download

That's just neccesary is you want to test stuff S related, forget about it

See answer above, downloading them with modmii, to my opinion, is the easiest way.

Driver SF should work with the latest Wiiflow-mod, not yet with Wiiflow r417, also TinTin works a little better i think, not sure.

See bolded answers.
Thanks, I forgot about that in ModMii.

In case anyone wants to save time I went and created the wads for v8-beta(r42) and uploaded the zip to: http://www.mediafire...1ik1r32gc86ponv. It is the same format as the r41 ones with the same bases in the same slots.

UPDATE: I can't get WiiFlow (mod-r159) to work with the v8-beta(r42). I tried half a dozen apps that use different IOS's and got a DSI exception in each when launching from WiiFlow. The same games run fine in CFG and USB Loader GX with the latest r42. I am going to wait until I hear back from one of the WiiFlow developers when it is compatible with WiiFlow.

hitomiinlove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So just thought I'd give everybody the heads up (if I'm just writing nonsense, then somebody please correct me) that if you are unable to format your HDD to WBFS then you're probably not gonna be able to use it on Wiiflow or any other loaders either, even if you use NTFS or FAT32 file systems.
WiiFlow, CFG and USB Loader GX works fine with FAT32 formatted volumes up to 2TB in size. Use the 'FAT32 Format' app if you have any problems. I've heard people use it with NTFS formatted volumes as well but haven't tried that.

Well, I had the exact same setup I have on my working HDD and Wiiflow wouldn't even start.

hitomiinlove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I had the exact same setup I have on my working HDD and Wiiflow wouldn't even start.
Did you format the volume with this app before loading it with files/apps?:

http://www.pendrivea...rger-than-32gb/

When error are you getting?

Actually, no, I formatted it wiih EASEUS Partition Manager... But since everything is working great with the 1TB HDD, I don't think I'll try to investigate further into why the 640GB one is not working. But thanks for your help anyway, it is much appreciated! :)

EDIT: OK, so you did get me wondering about the HDD, lol :D And I decided to format using the app you said, using 32kb cluster size. Copied everything over from working HDD to this one. Tried launching Wiiflow from Forwarder channel and it just went to a black screen and brought me back to System Menu after a while. Put the Apps\Wiiflow on my SD and tried loading from Homebrew Channel, and this is what I got:

2nir09.jpg

And then it proceeded and gave me this screen:

2lxa2pe.jpg

And then it just hung there.

Any ideas? For me it's just that the HDD I'm using is incompatible with the console and won't work regardless of what I try and do with it.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
UPDATE: I can't get WiiFlow (mod-r159) to work with the v8-beta(r42). I tried half a dozen apps that use different IOS's and got a DSI exception in each when launching from WiiFlow. The same games run fine in CFG and USB Loader GX with the latest r42. I am going to wait until I hear back from one of the WiiFlow developers when it is compatible with WiiFlow.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I wasn't home where I could have actually installed them right after downloading them. I guess there's a reason why it's called "Beta," anyway.
Did those apps work fine for you in r159 with the r41 cIOS's installed before?

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I wasn't home where I could have actually installed them right after downloading them. I guess there's a reason why it's called "Beta," anyway.
Did those apps work fine for you in r159 with the r41 cIOS's installed before?
Yes they worked before. I switched back to r418 and that works with the new v8-r42 cIOS. There appears to be something in r159 that chokes on it. For now I am going to stick with mod-r159 and the v8-r41 cIOS.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you format the volume with this app before loading it with files/apps?:

http://www.pendrivea...rger-than-32gb/

When error are you getting?

Actually, no, I formatted it wiih EASEUS Partition Manager... But since everything is working great with the 1TB HDD, I don't think I'll try to investigate further into why the 640GB one is not working. But thanks for your help anyway, it is much appreciated! :)

EDIT: OK, so you did get me wondering about the HDD, lol :D And I decided to format using the app you said, using 32kb cluster size. Copied everything over from working HDD to this one. Tried launching Wiiflow from Forwarder channel and it just went to a black screen and brought me back to System Menu after a while. Put the Apps\Wiiflow on my SD and tried loading from Homebrew Channel, and this is what I got:

2nir09.jpg

And then it proceeded and gave me this screen:

2lxa2pe.jpg

And then it just hung there.

Any ideas? For me it's just that the HDD I'm using is incompatible with the console and won't work regardless of what I try and do with it.
I've seen that when you have mismatching WiiFlow versions and cIOS's. What revision WiiFlow and cIOS are you using? Are you using the matching forwarder channel too?

Also - you can put the apps/WiiFlow folder and WiiFlow folder directly on the root of the FAT32 hard disk. Then remove the SD card. It's faster that way (for me at least).

hitomiinlove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've seen that when you have mismatching WiiFlow versions and cIOS's. What revision WiiFlow and cIOS are you using? Are you using the matching forwarder channel too?

Also - you can put the apps/WiiFlow folder and WiiFlow folder directly on the root of the FAT32 hard disk. Then remove the SD card. It's faster that way (for me at least).

I'm using Wiiflow r418 and d2x-v7-final. The forwarder I'm using is the one found here: http://www.wiiflowiki.com/Wiiflow/forwarders

And I do normally hold the apps/WiiFlow folder on the hard disk, but trying to use that with the forwarder only brought me back to the System Menu, it didn't even start Wiiflow so it could give me an error message. The only way for me to run Wiiflow with that HDD was to copy those folders onto my SD card and then load the app from HBC.

I really don't think this is a problem with outdated cIOS, though, since everything works fine with the other hard disk. I know that v8-beta is available right now, but I don't think trying to update to it is worth it when the version I'm currently on works flawlessly with other hardware.

But, again, like I had previously said, thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I know it's a pain helping other people figure out what's wrong with their Wii!

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm using Wiiflow r418 and d2x-v7-final. The forwarder I'm using is the one found here: http://www.wiiflowik...flow/forwarders

And I do normally hold the apps/WiiFlow folder on the hard disk, but trying to use that with the forwarder only brought me back to the System Menu, it didn't even start Wiiflow so it could give me an error message. The only way for me to run Wiiflow with that HDD was to copy those folders onto my SD card and then load the app from HBC.

I really don't think this is a problem with outdated cIOS, though, since everything works fine with the other hard disk. I know that v8-beta is available right now, but I don't think trying to update to it is worth it when the version I'm currently on works flawlessly with other hardware.

But, again, like I had previously said, thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I know it's a pain helping other people figure out what's wrong with their Wii!
The main reason I suggested having everything on the hard disk instead of the some files on the SD and some on the hard disk is I've had exactly the same problem you described running different versions of the usb:app/wiiflow and usb:wiiflow folders.

If you download the new apps/wiiflow files (r418), forwarder channel and v41 cIOS from http://www.wiiflowiki.com/Wiiflow and install the cIOS's and then copy the apps/Wiiflow folder to the hard disk it should work. If you have an older forwarder channel with the new files it will blow up as you describe. If you have an older apps folder on the SD talking to a Wiiflow folder on the hard disk it will blow up as you describe in my experience.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Need help. In the Wiiflow wiki in "Committed Wiiflow Versions" I see a .dol file, but what the hell is a .dol file and where do I put it?

quick question, is your wii soft modded?

ive noticed you making threads about loaders not working, then to as what a dol is makes me think your not softmodded and dont really know what your doing

no offence intended but you need to do a little reading up

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need help. In the Wiiflow wiki in "Committed Wiiflow Versions" I see a .dol file, but what the hell is a .dol file and where do I put it?
I agree with pepxl - you may need to do a little more reading :)

Here is a quick answer... a .dol file sits in the sd/USB:apps/xyz folder and can be run from the Homebrew channel. There are also things called forwarder channels that can run the .dol file if you have softmodded your Wii.

For the .dol in question place the entire Wiiflow folder which should contain a boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml (and possibly a wiiflow.ini file) into the apps folder on the root of your hard disk or the root of your SD card.

You can then run WiiFlow from the HomeBrew channel or if you have a forwarder channel installed you will be able to run WiiFlow from the main Wii channel menu.

If you aren't certain about the softmod process there are a good number of sources to help you out. A good on is found on the Wiki: http://www.wiiflowiki.com/Homebrew_channel

I know many don't like it but I have used the Homebrew PimpMyWii app with great success. You can download it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?wwimepl6zv410bf

After you have installed the Homebrew channel run it to update and install any missing/outdated IOS/cIOS/mIOS.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For everyone, I've updated four of the old Wiiflow themes. They work with Wiiflow 418 and Wiiflow MOD. In 418 a few things might be off like text colors and small page titles. They look best with Wiiflow MOD r104 and higher. More to come soon.

check out my post #5442 on page 363 for new download link

Carbonik -

Orchid -

Starnight -

Violet -

Credit goes to the original authors and I've noted that in each of the ini files

Just extract them to your wiiflow/themes folder. Enjoy!

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Maybe he doesn't know how to type words for shit.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    GBAtemp should be legally obligated to ban them, as its against the law to collect information from users under 13 because of COPPA. :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @NinStar, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, Why not get an Oculus?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    VR is like 3D TVs in my opinion it's cool and all but it doesn't have enough great content.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Porn exists, Psi.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm sure you'll live with it.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    VR had the chance to integrate with existing games and tech but VR companies said "NO, I WANT MY SHIT TO BE STANDALONE AND MY GAMES EXCLUSIVE TO FACEBOOK"
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Back when Oculus Rift was still starting out and being demoed around, they modded existing games to use it as a 360° immersive screen thing and that was AMAZING.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The tech isn't there for affordable power enough VR headsets at a good market value yet sadly, oculus had a good idea but didn't have enough funds for marketing iirc
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But now it's "can I use my VR set with my racing games, that would be neat?" "ONLY IF YOU USE OUR DILDOSTICK CONTROLLERS AND RUN THE GAME ON OUR ANDROID-UNDERPOWERED BRICK"
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The tech to have quality VR goggles at an affordable price is here, but every set has to have 4 additional controllers and be standalone.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    These are the same type of gamers that spend $2,000 on a GPU when a $600 GPU gives nearly the same outcome which is what the market looks at for them to do spend more on unneeded bs
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If we're talking AAA titles a vr headset would be priced at nearly the same cost as a midrange gaming pc maybe even double
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/3439939603 this is cool a portable blackstone
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The investment group?
    +1
    I think they should bring back the shutter glasses for VR put 120Hz screen in for 60FPS and even a basic phone these days can pull that off
    Head tracking cameras and all
    Have a USB type C connector for power and controller done
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Micro SD would be nice also :angry:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, The types of gamers who pay $2,000 for RGB everything, and to run bloated Windows.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My m.2 needs rgb makes transfers faster thank you
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UDmYDdZHdE