Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I mentioned it to Fix94 as soon as devo was added, but he insisted that if I wanted dm set as default, all I had to do was remove devo loader.bin. It's just nice to know that I'm not alone on this. Maybe now that it's been echoed by someone more -popular-(?) he might reconsider :)
:huh: Definitely not "popular", that wasn't a compliment :P, anyway sometime's it's as simple as more people requesting the same feature, if more people "like" my post or yours maybe it'll get added. Hopefully more people that use Devo & DM together will band up on this, yes we can simply remove Loader.bin or rename it through WiiXplorer, but it's just simply not convenient if you want to play a game with DM and then Devo or vice versa back to back. :(

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
Please please please help. I recently gave up in WiiFlow and switched to PL4 as I suddenly started having issues with my hdd being recognised. But I miss my WiiFlow so much, so I did a fresh install using Abz pack, the only thing I retained from the old setup being the boxcovers folder. For some reason though, whenever I select anything from the source menu, or try to change any settings, WiiFlow just freezes. I'm at my wits end, and really want Wiiflow back. ANy assistance greatly appreciated. Regards.

To answer my own question, just in case anybody comes up against the same issue, the freezing problem was caused by some corrupted Wii covers.

marcioap1

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
as mentioned
http://gbatemp.net/threads/maxternals-wiiflow-plugins-and-java-apps.344802/

A little explanation for setup, since there's no original ROM files for NAND games, it needs to see a file that just starts with the 4-digit GameID for each game you want to show up. (0 byte files are fine)
In the download I've included a little java app to automatically make one for every NAND game that WiiFlow has ever seen on your Wii. If you've already had WiiFlow browse through all the emuNAND's you want to add games from you could always use the app and then just delete the ones you don't have anymore and/or separate them out into different folders corresponding to the different emuNAND's and have a different plugin INI pointing to each one ... OR you could make the files manually, your choice. The emuNAND path is part of the arguments= line in the INI file. You'll have to set each one to the path of the emuNAND it's supposed to point to.

Thanks, Maxternal. I'll try that this weekend and then post the results here.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Fix94 - r924 looks really nice and I love the browse for mp3 feature. Any way to get it to work with an SD too? My HD is full of games and I'd like to run music from the SD.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
OMG! where is your sig maxternal?
:glare: am I detecting sarcasm here? :unsure: In case this is serious or anyone else REALLY doesn't know, you want to click on the rainbow part of the extra stuff that appears under my post only when you're logged in.

For romdir set it to usb:/nands/pln2o...is that correct?
Nope, you leave the romdir alone. There's part of the arguments= line instead that you need to change. There's a part that already looks like an emuNAND path. Change it to yours.
The romdir= shows where those 0-byte dummy files go, named for the titles you want to showup in WiiFlow.
Also which plugin would you recommend works best, neek2o plugin or mighty channels plugin? Finally what are the major differences?
Well, the differences are similar to the differences if you use the "normal" cIOS way to load your emuNAND in WiiFlow or if you use the Neek2o option to launch from WiiFlow. The Mighty plugin (I think) returns to WiiFlow while the Neek2o plugin returns to a emuNAND channel in Neek2o (which could mean the WiiFlow forwarder and WiiFlow in Neek mode ... OR the nSwitch channel and your real NAND system menu). Although Neek2o has a little bit better compatibility.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to setup WiiFlow on a 32GB SD card for a friend as they don't want a ton of games and don't want a USB anything attached to the back of the Wii.

I have WiiFlow running but it takes about 15 seconds to get to the splash screen. When I run a game it takes 20 seconds before the progress bar shows and the game loads.

Exiting a game takes about 25 seconds before it reloads WiiFlow.

I've checked my ini and everything is marked as SD and not USB1.

I have a feeling it is looking for a USB drive and when it finally times out goes to the SD card.

Any way to make running from SD faster?

Running r924.

TIA.

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
Maxternal Tried a different SD card?
Nevermind. It's blackscreening again. I re-copied cert.sys, nothing.
Extra info:
I added three new games to the hard drive recently, and downloaded txtcodes from ModMii. I recreated the cache on neek2o and on WiiFlow.
Sorry if the info is useless. I don't know what's causing it, so I can't really supply anything relevant. If there's any info you want to know, just ask.
Sorry man, running out of ideas. I would say copy your shared2 folder from your real NAND over to the e-NAND, delete your diconfig.bin and nandcfg.bin in your sneek folder (better yet delete everything in your sneek folder and re-install). Delete your sneekcache folder in your e-NAND and try again.

If you still get black screens, back up/re-name your dev://wiiflow/ folder and your wiiflow.ini and do a clean install, and I mean really clean, as in just have apps/wiiflow and relaunch wiiflow.

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
oh wow you deleted your entire NAND? Ok well so be it, yea everything sounds good, one last thing d/load and run this on your HDD, it's worked miracles on several setups, and the few that have tried it as a last resort to some problems have come back with good news including myself. You may have your own software that does this but try it out, I guarantee it'll work better than almost anything else out there.

FIX94 just seen the work done on r919 thanks a lot for the fix, I'll try it out when I get a chance and report success on the SVN, thanks a milliion.

Hooray for custom banner support now, WiiFlow ftw always!

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
jgblahblahblah Sounds like your running WiiFlow from SD and have all your other files on USB, personally if things don't work out for you try having everything on one partition only, USB preferred. Also make sure when you copy everything over to your SD again, cuz I'm sure you'll try that first, that you don't copy and unwanted attributes, you'll have to change that manually I believe.

Anyways I'm off to bed for the night, I worked all freaking day and didn't get to test jack squat!.. Plus I have to go to work real early again tomorrow so I probably won't get anytime in 'till sunday to try stuff out. I missed out on the last 7 revs, so I'm excited since I'm still on r917, g'night guys.

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have two more questions about Wiiflow :)

1. I'm trying to using a retroarch source menu button. It loads the correct plugin and games, but all my game names are "simpsons.zip" or "sfa3.zip" and appear as such when I click the button in Wiiflow. Changing the name of these games crashes my Wii, and I tried to put them into my custom titles file as "sfa3=Street Fighter Alpha 3", but it doesn't change anything. Is there anyway to change how the names these names are displayed?

2. Is there anyway to hide one box at a time when it comes to two disc games? It would be really nice if I didn't have to have two of the exact same boxes when I browse my gamecube games.

Thank you!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to setup WiiFlow on a 32GB SD card for a friend as they don't want a ton of games and don't want a USB anything attached to the back of the Wii.

I have WiiFlow running but it takes about 15 seconds to get to the splash screen. When I run a game it takes 20 seconds before the progress bar shows and the game loads.

Exiting a game takes about 25 seconds before it reloads WiiFlow.

I've checked my ini and everything is marked as SD and not USB1.

I have a feeling it is looking for a USB drive and when it finally times out goes to the SD card.

Any way to make running from SD faster?

Running r924.

TIA.

I'm guessing you also need to press a button on your wiimote to switch it back on when returning to Wiiflow? Yeah I've done 3 Wii's for friends with an SD only setup and the same haapens every time on any revision. It's not a deal breaker (I simply tell em to stop being cheapskates and buy an external HD hehe) but is a slight pain - kinda lessens the overall impact of the proggie...

Anyway, got a bit of a plugin problem on my setup: Currently running emuflow on usb, all plugins I use work no probs except for Wii7800, Wiicolem & intvwii (sp), which give me a fail to open rom directory message or similar on the menu... trying to manually browse for the folder doesn't work either (and in the case of wiicolem gives me a code dump), yet all 3 are fine from an sd card...? Again it's no deal breaker as I've now got a retro secondary setup going with these, plus the other oldies on SD, but if there's any ideas on a fix that'd be great... I've changed rom directories (in the plugins too), no dice. Is it just my particular hard drive that's the problem?

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing you also need to press a button on your wiimote to switch it back on when returning to Wiiflow? Yeah I've done 3 Wii's for friends with an SD only setup and the same haapens every time on any revision. It's not a deal breaker (I simply tell em to stop being cheapskates and buy an external HD hehe) but is a slight pain - kinda lessens the overall impact of the proggie...

Anyway, got a bit of a plugin problem on my setup: Currently running emuflow on usb, all plugins I use work no probs except for Wii7800, Wiicolem & intvwii (sp), which give me a fail to open rom directory message or similar on the menu... trying to manually browse for the folder doesn't work either (and in the case of wiicolem gives me a code dump), yet all 3 are fine from an sd card...? Again it's no deal breaker as I've now got a retro secondary setup going with these, plus the other oldies on SD, but if there's any ideas on a fix that'd be great... I've changed rom directories (in the plugins too), no dice. Is it just my particular hard drive that's the problem?

No, I don't have any problems with the controllers resynching. I think that has been corrected many many revs back with a new libogc.

I'm sure it is related to something scanning for a USB. If I attach an empty USB drive to port 0 the SD loads almost immediately.

So hopefully there is a switch/ini option to have it not check USB if it's running from SD.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
* please could i get 924*.. I have looked on the wiki an every rev is in deprecate ( so i hope this will be an update rev.). i would like to try this mp3 browser.

@ boston bc. i have had problems doing the same thing but opposite, trying to get every thing to load from usb. so i don't think it's what your doing is wrong, but could be the internal loading clock. wondering if fix94 or fledge could add a question screen when first installing wiiflow asking the user if they want a usb set up or a sd set up..( this would be a lot easier.)

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
* please could i get 924*.. I have looked on the wiki an every rev is in deprecate ( so i hope this will be an update rev.). i would like to try this mp3 browser.

@ boston bc. i have had problems doing the same thing but opposite, trying to get every thing to load from usb. so i don't think it's what your doing is wrong, but could be the internal loading clock. wondering if fix94 or fledge could add a question screen when first installing wiiflow asking the user if they want a usb set up or a sd set up..( this would be a lot easier.)

I've never seen it slow down on USB.

An ini flag that you could change that allows the detection or ignoring of USB / SD would be awesome.

Or there may be some other reason for the slow down but it seems USB related to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LZ_NvaV5HGE?si=p4H94YGObqOeX23X this brought me joy +2