PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My FFVIII has weird battle transition and flickering around characters names in battles. I tried a lot of video settings and all three modes (dyna, light, interpreter) and no differences. I have a distinct memory that this wasn't happening in older versions of WiiStation (I'm on latest, downloaded from page 133). Game is in bin/cue format, NTSC USA version. Any suggestion? :)

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
My FFVIII has weird battle transition and flickering around characters names in battles. I tried a lot of video settings and all three modes (dyna, light, interpreter) and no differences. I have a distinct memory that this wasn't happening in older versions of WiiStation (I'm on latest, downloaded from page 133). Game is in bin/cue format, NTSC USA version. Any suggestion? :)

i think WiiStation doesn't have this commit from 2023 from PCSX-ReARMed:
https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed/commit/9a864a8f77d7de8e787eb8a1d594d89daa7daca1

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i think WiiStation doesn't have this commit from 2023 from PCSX-ReARMed:
https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed/commit/9a864a8f77d7de8e787eb8a1d594d89daa7daca1
I just tested the game on an older version of wiistation and, as I was remembering, it works perfectly. Also, I noticed the resolution inside battles and menus seems off. On the old wiistation, it's consistent with the rest of the game. On the new one, there's a black bar on the bottom of the screen, it seems a bit squished and decentered towards the upper part of the screen. Only in battles and menus, only on new version.

I don't know when that changed, but on this one, FFVIII is definitely working as intended:

Attachments

• boot.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by marchrius,
Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I just tested the game on an older version of wiistation and, as I was remembering, it works perfectly. Also, I noticed the resolution inside battles and menus seems off. On the old wiistation, it's consistent with the rest of the game. On the new one, there's a black bar on the bottom of the screen, it seems a bit squished and decentered towards the upper part of the screen. Only in battles and menus, only on new version.

I don't know when that changed, but on this one, FFVIII is definitely working as intended:
About resolutions and screen positions, i think this issue is present even on PCSX-ReARMed, too, on the DFXVideo Soft GPU plugin (which WiiStation also uses it?). Noticed that when there also happens the resolution/screen position "issues" in CTR: Crash Team Racing.

Remember that old versions of WiiStation used P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU plugin.

Reactions: marchrius

DaSkanker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm really liking wiistation atm but i do have one bug with it which is anoying me slightly and that is when ever I boot into it through wiiflow it will load the game but it don't pick up on me using a game cube controller or even my wii control pad.
It only picks up my wii remote so i have to exit the game back to the wiistation menu every time i load a game to connect a controller.
Not sure if anyone else has this issue at all?
If so is there work around so that wiistation will only load the game but not play it so that wii station has time to reconise my controller or is there a way to configure it so that my controller is recognised upon autoboot?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
So I'm really liking wiistation atm but i do have one bug with it which is anoying me slightly and that is when ever I boot into it through wiiflow it will load the game but it don't pick up on me using a game cube controller or even my wii control pad.
It only picks up my wii remote so i have to exit the game back to the wiistation menu every time i load a game to connect a controller.
Not sure if anyone else has this issue at all?
If so is there work around so that wiistation will only load the game but not play it so that wii station has time to reconise my controller or is there a way to configure it so that my controller is recognised upon autoboot?
Controller issues in autoboot? I think because of an addition of a commit i took from Extrems' Not64 related to controllers.
I believe it's the exact same issue that my friend @Zorg07 reported me on Discord time ago.

last week i tried to make a fix but it's untested, do you want me to send a build with a possible controller fix in autoboot?

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that the npc voices are not heard in Spyro 2...

Could someone tell me where are the page is the stable version on which the force ntsc option was added the first time?

DaSkanker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Controller issues in autoboot? I think because of an addition of a commit i took from Extrems' Not64 related to controllers.
I believe it's the exact same issue that my friend @Zorg07 reported me on Discord time ago.

last week i tried to make a fix but it's untested, do you want me to send a build with a possible controller fix in autoboot?
That would be fantastic if you could. I'd be more than happy to test it out and report any findings back to you.
Even if the fix does what the version of not 64 I'm running which is load the game but not launch it that would be a big step forward is my thought as I'm now trying to just use the wii remote for when i play light gun games.

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
About resolutions and screen positions, i think this issue is present even on PCSX-ReARMed, too, on the DFXVideo Soft GPU plugin (which WiiStation also uses it?). Noticed that when there also happens the resolution/screen position "issues" in CTR: Crash Team Racing.

Remember that old versions of WiiStation used P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU plugin.
I see. By the way, if I want to report this bug, where should I submit it?

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It seems that the npc voices are not heard in Spyro 2...

Could someone tell me where are the page is the stable version on which the force ntsc option was added the first time?
Here the "Wiistation Force NTSC" by Jokippo.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiistat...iisxrx-released.614405/page-108#post-10275526

It's the only build where "Force NTSC" setting works correctly (the screen is not shifted), as when xjsxjs197 ported it to the main branch months later, the video renderer had already been modified, if I understand well (previously P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU plugin, now DFXVideo Soft GPU plugin).

Beware though, this build is rather old, so it doesn't have stable CHD support, per-game config, L/R audio channels correctly swapped, reverb sounds correctly played, lightgun support, etc., and updated Lightrec obviously.

Though as it uses the old video renderer, it does not have the micro-stutters induced by, it seems, the new renderer, at 60 FPS.
(Disorarara said about that: "I suspect the change in video renderer and experimental triple buffering is the cause of it, as a similar issue happens in WiiSX 4.1 which also has experimental triple buffering.")

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Here the "Wiistation Force NTSC" by Jokippo.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiistat...iisxrx-released.614405/page-108#post-10275526

It's the only build where "Force NTSC" setting works correctly (the screen is not shifted), as when xjsxjs197 ported it to the main branch months later, the video renderer had already been modified, if I understand well (previously P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU plugin, now DFXVideo Soft GPU plugin).

Beware though, this build is rather old, so it doesn't have stable CHD support, per-game config, L/R audio channels correctly swapped, reverb sounds correctly played, lightgun support, etc., and updated Lightrec obviously.

Though as it uses the old video renderer, it does not have the micro-stutters induced by, it seems, the new renderer, at 60 FPS.
(Disorarara said about that: "I suspect the change in video renderer and experimental triple buffering is the cause of it, as a similar issue happens in WiiSX 4.1 which also has experimental triple buffering.")

Wiistation Force NTSC by Jokippo is not as old as you say. It has full support for light gun games (it even supports mouse emulation, although it doesn't work as well as the gun) and all games work (except you need dynarec for Kula World, Dino Crisis 2 has a problem in FMV videos, Lunar 1 FMV videos look with altered colors and Fear Effect games always freeze at some point).

What xjsxjs197 introduced was mainly the sbi compatibility (only for protected pal games. In the Jokippo version you can play such games with sbi if you patch them previously), per-game configuration and Lightrec update (with performance advances and setbacks in certain games as we are seeing).

If you want to play your pal games at 60hz and have no performance problems in general, the Force NTSC version of Jokippo is still highly recommended.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Sometimes it's easier to throw away old thing, add new and fix bugs that appeared, than improving old one...
True.

I see. By the way, if I want to report this bug, where should I submit it?
https://github.com/xjsxjs197/WiiSXRX_2022/issues

Yeah, your understood it correctly.
When Jokippo added Force NTSC option, we still had the old traditional P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU plugin, but it hasn't updated officially in years.
The new video plugin on PCSX-ReARMed, which is also on WiiStation, DFXVideo Soft GPU, is way more updated and supports some effects not supported by P.E.Op.S. (such the GPU slow list link processing effect used by Crash Bash and Bomberman Fantasy Race) and even is needed for play games correctly (ex., This is Football 2).

azy77

Trophies
XP
Country
Many thanks for Wiistation, it's almost perfect at everything I throw at it on an overclocked wii u.

The only problem is crash bandicoot 1 freezes at startup, (parts 2 & 3, ctr and bunch of other games work fine).

I used the latest version 3.2 lightrec/ dynarec, with and without overclock, and tried bin/cue, pbp and chd formats but all do the same - black screen crash.

Anyone else have this issue?

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If Interpreter, Lightrec and Dynarec are like cores and Wiistation is like a launcher like retroarch, the best thing would be to change interpreter for Jokippo's Lightrec and so together with xjsxjs197's Lightrec Plus and Dynarec we would create a very interesting Wiistation. Interpreter is not really used for anything anymore.

It's probably not that simple, but in my world of candies and unicorns it works.

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many thanks for Wiistation, it's almost perfect at everything I throw at it on an overclocked wii u.

The only problem is crash bandicoot 1 freezes at startup, (parts 2 & 3, ctr and bunch of other games work fine).

I used the latest version 3.2 lightrec/ dynarec, with and without overclock, and tried bin/cue, pbp and chd formats but all do the same - black screen crash.
Crash Bandicoot 1 has been working for me on Wiistation/WiiSx for a long time. Just loaded it now to be sure and it's working fine, I'm playing through the first level.

Only other suggestion I can think of, have you tried setting/ it up to boot through bios?

azy77

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for confirming it is working. Yes it is already set to using bios. The only thing left that I can think of is to delete the old memory card save that was left there from the last emulator...

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thanks for confirming it is working. Yes it is already set to using bios. The only thing left that I can think of is to delete the old memory card save that was left there from the last emulator...
Just be sure to select BIOS to use in "Select Bios" as SD or USB and, as you said, try deleting your old memory card save for that game.

Reactions: Qaztab and azy77

azy77

Trophies
XP
Country
Just be sure to select BIOS to use in "Select Bios" as SD or USB and, as you said, try deleting your old memory card save for that game.
I changed from HLE to SD and it works perfectly now.

All other games I tried work on HLE this must be the odd one out, thanks for your help SaulFabre.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol