PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I already knew that, is just that i am SUPER lazy to switch back my CHD library to Bin/Cue, but alright.
this way we will have lots of bad reports which will be a mess, like saulfabre said for instance rayman 2 ill crash with chd when exiting a stage with a dsi exception, but it wont with bin+cue and probably will happen with many games, doing compatibility tests with chd will make false reports that the game is broken when is chd implementation that is still broken somewhat.

Last edited by pedro702,

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: Seems This is Football 2 doesn't even let start the game even in Interpreter?? Weird. :v
I think the PSX interpreter in WiiStation should also be updated... but we'll check.

Please test this, thanks ;)

If it's any consolation for the gentleman who wants to play this game, it does work and run fine in WiiSX 4.0.

ssjkakaroto

Trophies
XP
Country
But you're talking about things that aren't happening. There isn't performance issues with CHD on wiistation, the issue is with compatibility. There hasn't been any indication that the Wii is having performance issues at all with CHD in any emulator yet.
You can't say that with absolute certainty, as no thorough tests were made to compare then. The compatibility issues might very well be related with timing (performance) problems of decompressing data slower than the game is expecting. That decompression might also be stealing critical CPU cycles and memory that the emulator could be using.

Take a look at the graphics here https://mcmilk.de/projects/7-Zip-zstd/ to see how slow LZMA is.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
You can't say that with absolute certainty, as no thorough tests were made to compare then. The compatibility issues might very well be related with timing (performance) problems of decompressing data slower than the game is expecting. That decompression might also be stealing critical CPU cycles and memory that the emulator could be using.

Take a look at the graphics here https://mcmilk.de/projects/7-Zip-zstd/ to see how slow LZMA is.
That is true.

Even WiiSX, which is suppose to have a better CHD support since it's 100% synced with upstream PCSX-ReARMed, it still also has the same CHD "compatibility" on Wii, since the Wii is not powerful enough for uncompress big amounts of data at a fast time.

That info told me pcercuei when i asked why if using CHD for Rayman 2 it crashed after escaping the pirate boat at the start.
The Wii also doesn't have enough RAM memory for store the temporal uncompressed data.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country

Very fair point actually, we're lucky that many games do indeed work as is on CHD on such limited hardware. If even just 50 percent of the games work fine that's still quite a lot of space savings, although a lot of testing will be required to find which games play completely fine and don't have any crashes.

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey folks, i'm getting "error opening directory" from some of my fowarding channels followed by dsi error, even though everything is set correctly. i then tested starting wiistation from hbc and manually navigated to a game, but it went to black screen after psx loading screen. any ideas? i've already redone configs, but not sure what i could be missing.

note: this happens from SD and USB

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

Attachments

• WiiStation_CDRISO_latest_smallerfifo_08102023.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey folks, i'm getting "error opening directory" from some of my fowarding channels followed by dsi error, even though everything is set correctly. i then tested starting wiistation from hbc and manually navigated to a game, but it went to black screen after psx loading screen. any ideas? i've already redone configs, but not sure what i could be missing.

note: this happens from SD and USB

edit: redid everything, including sourcing new bios, and new configs, and now they work

Reactions: SaulFabre

Joseito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Hello guys, thanks for all the effort of bringing psone to wii, I'm having a blast, i noticed someone here can play koudelka, how? It always get frozen, and also fear effect gets frozen too on cinematics, am i doing something wrong? And also and this may seem stupid but can you help the guy who is doing n64? Thanks again

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello guys, thanks for all the effort of bringing psone to wii, I'm having a blast, i noticed someone here can play koudelka, how? It always get frozen, and also fear effect gets frozen too on cinematics, am i doing something wrong? And also and this may seem stupid but can you help the guy who is doing n64? Thanks again
1. Use the latest compiled build posted here
2. Make sure to have the BIOS files, and in the Options/Settings, use Select BIOS as SD/USB and enable Boot Through Bios
3. Use BIN/CUE
4. Try using either Lightrec or Dynarec

GustavoReis

GameCube and wii lover
Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
From @GustavoReis' post
Test this build of WiiStation with this commit from WiiSX.
This also includes the latest merge of latest codes of CDRISO and CDROM from PCSX-ReARMed.
thanks @SaulFabre
in this new build nfs hot porsuit 3 it works perfectly now, without any sudden drop in FPS so far
tekken 3 is running between 56-54 fps without interlaced mode
I will test more games as I have time

@retrodern

Test drive 6 works very well, no have any problems (img file)

Screenshot_20231008-224637.png

Last edited by GustavoReis,

Joseito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
1. Use the latest compiled build posted here
2. Make sure to have the BIOS files, and in the Options/Settings, use Select BIOS as SD/USB and enable Boot Through Bios
3. Use BIN/CUE
4. Try using either Lightrec or Dynarec
Man sorry if i pester you but, bios filessss as in more than one, wich are those? And also im using jokkipo 2.4 v16a, is there a new one?
Post automatically merged:

From @GustavoReis' post
Test this build of WiiStation with this commit from WiiSX.
This also includes the latest merge of latest codes of CDRISO and CDROM from PCSX-ReARMed.
Ok i got this, do i put this.dol on the wiistation folder like that?

Last edited by Joseito,

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just wanted to say, I tested the game out and experience no stuttering whatsoever. I played the game for about 20 minutes. Was using the latest wiistation 16a and i run the game off a usb 1tb drive. Also using a normal white Wii.
Post automatically merged:

Hey, stupid question, can wiistation not load .bin files directly? It only sees .cue files. What if I have a .bin but no .cue?
Bro, I downloaded that version, 16a. And still got stuttering via USB, but tried something different this time, put the games on my SD card and tried again, for some reason in my case loading the games from SD make them run flawlessly! SOTN is absolutely perfection there. And speaking about the Game Over screen, for me it dropped from 59 to 39fps for two seconds, a very negligible thing in a game that you rarely dies.
I also gave Medievil and Valkyrie Profile a try, both run with very satisfatory performance. This is super exciting and I'm very happy to finally be playing the Ps1 library on the Wii!

But as things are never trully perfect, I'm getting a new bug. Only via SD card, every time I try to change the game the emulator crashes, has anyone experienced this? Any potencial cause or solution?
Not a big deal, but quiting the emulator and opening it again every time you want to change the game can get tiresome.

Reactions: GustavoReis

ssjkakaroto

Trophies
XP
Country
lightrec caching will cause some unavoidable dips even in games that run full speed otherwise
I've tested Akumajou Dracula X yesterday and noticed that the game is constantly oscillating between 59.81 and ~56 fps. Is it because of lightrec? These fps drops are really noticeable in game, even though it's still playable.
I've tried both interpreter and dynarec and none are able to reach 59.81.
This was with SaulFabre's build and 240p.

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've tested now the latest version from @SaulFabre (SOTN NTSC) and had the same results, fps oscilating from 59 to 52 all the time.

If you really want to play this game on your wii, I recommend this version:

Wiistation_Ver2.4 with 240p v16a
https://github.com/Jokippo/WiiSXRX_2022240p/releases/tag/v2.4-240pV16a

It works at full speed in all games I've tested (via SD), the only downside is that every time you change the game it crashes.
So you have to quit and re-open the emulator to change games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....