Porygon-X

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
Okay. I recently bought a computer and is waiting for it to arrive (21 days)!

It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium but I want to upgrade it to Windows 7 Ultimate. If I pirate Windows 7 Ultimate and install it, will my OS still be genuine or will it be flagged as counterfeit?

Oh and what do you think about this processor: Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30 GHz

Thankss

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The key that comes with your PC is tied to that specific Windows 7 version. If you use that key to install W7 Ultimate, it won't work.

You could always install Ultimate and then "activate" it using certain tools...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Porygon-X said:
If I pirate Windows 7 Ultimate and install it, will my OS still be genuine or will it be flagged as counterfeit?
Is this a serious question? I can't even tell...

Why do you feel the need to get ultimate anyways? Tell me ONE feature you need.

As for the processor, it'll do you just fine.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it's an OEM install, you can reinstall Windows as Ultimate and use an Ultimate OEM key (you'll probably need to find the Cert, certificate, or make a backup of the cert you have).

But again, WHY do you need Ultimate? There are really no features a home user would need.
The only things I would think of using of would be Group Policy (for some VERY obscure settings) and Windows XP Mode (but that's cuz I like having a secure environment to test stuff, but that is just a virtual XP install).

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are keys online that allow you to directly update to Ultimate using the Anytime Upgrade Feature. It will be fully genuine and you can receive all future updates. Obviously I won't tell you where to get it, but it does work.

However, Ultimate really is just Windows 7 Pro with language packs. If anything, upgrade to Pro, though even for the average user there's no reason to do so.

Finally, you could just clean install your pirated Windows 7, then use WAT Remover to make it genuine, though you will need to do this each time Microsoft decides to update Windows (not all the time, depends on the update).

Ultimately (no pun intended), I would just leave it as is, unless you REALLY need Pro/Ultimate, go with my first suggestion.

Porygon-X

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
Oh okay. Thanks for your thoughts.

One last thing: if I do in the future decide to upgrade legally or illegally, will it delete my current files on the computer? Or will it simply update the OS files and finish?

I'll ad more tomorrow ss I'm on my phone.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If you were thinking that it's faster than home, that's incorrect, it just has more features, but these aren't things a home user would need.

That said, if you did upgrade all your files would be intact. You might need to stick the disc in for it to get at the other files it needs, but that's it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK none of the windows versions include extra tools that would help with that. If you were talking about programming for windows itself (say, virtual device drivers and other professional stuff) it might be a consideration, but not for normal programming.

A "power user" is still a home user and will be fine with a home version of windows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...