ROM Hack [WIP] Shin Megami Tensei IV artwork swap

one_sloth_wrecking_crew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inspired by AlternativeZero's recent SMT Strange Journey portrait swaps, I decided to finally stop lurking and take a crack at something I've wanted for a long time: a version of SMT IV that swaps out the demon artworks for Lilith and Lucifer for some of the originals by Kaneko. While I'm at it, I'm also going to swap the art for Medusa with the Doi redesign from Apocalypse.

As of right now, I have already changed out the portraits:
st_bu_en325old.png
-->
st_bu_en325.png

st_bu_en331old.png
-->
luci1.2.png

st_bu_en448old.png
-->
st_bu_en331.png

st_bu_en323old.png
-->
st_bu_en323.png

I'm currently working on swapping out animations, which is a bit more time consuming, but eventually also plan to update the transformation video in the lucifer boss battle - I can share my rough draft for this if anyone is interested.

Brings me to: is anyone else here interested in this patch if I were to release it? Is there anything else people would like to put out there for artwork swaps? Right now, I can only think of maybe centaur, as others seem to really dislike it, but I probably won't bother unless someone else wants this - I also kinda liked the new Astaroth artwork, but would consider changing it if some others really prefer the original. Same for the archangels (also, their animations are really complicated so pose new problems)

EDIT: forgot to mention that I'm looking for a cleaner lucifer / helel portrait - I originally had in mind the one from Persona 4, but can't find a clean version of that one - if anyone has something, would love to use that instead

Last edited by one_sloth_wrecking_crew,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only drank alcohol once and it was by accident
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt know it was beer, it was on a juice bottle
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yeah, I'm addicted to smoking, sadly. It's very addictive but I wish I didn't start.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    May just order a 5700g for a nas/emulation set up tbh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast you were asleep on 4/20
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, you played that Mario flash game called Mario 63?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No, but I've seen it on Vinesauce's stream.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that game is one of the reasons i met newgrounds bc the full versión of it is in that site
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also somebody is remaking it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds +1