Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Wood Firmwares v1.29
Update
wood_firmeware_gbatemp.net_2010.jpg

For the next few releases I will post questions and answers from a very short interview with the Yellow Wood Goblin. The questions are simple, sometimes have 2-3 word answers, focus on the firmware itself, but also aim to provide a tiny bit of insight while asking what the Goblin’s favorite games/homebrews are.

Without further ado, our first question:

Q: Why did you take the source code offline?
A: Main reason: many cases of license violations.

Please feel free to discuss the firmware update as well as the interview in this news thread.

Change Log said:
Core:
• all games with intros re-dumped. intro related code removed.

Compatibility:
• 'bejeweled twist' fixed.
• 'cosmetick paradise princess life (japan)' fixed.
• 'rio' fixed.
• force save size to 512K for 'radiant historia'.
• 'tinker bell and the great fairy rescue (usa)' fixed.
• 'wizards of waverly place - spellbound (usa)' fixed.
• 'wizards of waverly place - spellbound (europe)' fixed.
• 'mario & sonic at the olympic winter games' icepeak freeze fixed.
• 'chronicles of mystery - the secret tree of life (usa)' fixed.
• soft-reset in 'super mario 64' fixed.

Special Thanks to YWG for the update!

download.gif
Wood R4 v1.29 Download
download.gif
Wood R4iDSN v1.29 Download
download.gif
Wood R.P.G. v1.29 Download
icon11.gif
Wood R4 as .NDS by Coolkill3r
icon11.gif
Wood R4 Bugs and Compatibility thread
icon11.gif
Wood R4 Language File thread

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Another World said:

Isn't that a license violation itself?
If that's what he wants, I'm gonna' e-mail him and see if he's willing to give out the source individually.

If not we have a problem. A GPL license violation is copyright infringement, so distribution of the Wood firmwares on GBAtemp is illegal if the sources are not available (they don't have to be in google code or something, but there must be a way to get them).

EDIT: To clarify, this refers to releases without an available source. Older versions that have available source can stay on GBAtemp/Filetrip.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Rydian said:
twiztidsinz said:
Another World said:

Isn't that a license violation itself?
If that's what he wants, I'm gonna' e-mail him and see if he's willing to give out the source individually.

If not we have a problem. A GPL license violation is copyright infringement, so distribution of the Wood firmwares on GBAtemp is illegal if the sources are not available (they don't have to be in google code or something, but there must be a way to get them).

EDIT: To clarify, this refers to releases without an available source. Older versions that have available source can stay on GBAtemp/Filetrip.
Should we force the issue? He might then stop Wood updates altogether.

I hope he can give out the source individually so everyone can be happy.
Thanks YW Goblin! Keep up the good work.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:

I don't want to try to force him, which is why I've waited so long to e-mail him a request. It certainly would be bad if we have to stop hosting Wood or if he stops it altogether, but as it is the source must be available. I made sure to note him in the e-mail I just need to make sure it's available, I've got no plans to actually make anything of it myself.

The unfortunate thing is if he insists on keeping the source to himself, then we'd need to treat the recent wood releases like we do BIOS files and such... we can announce and talk about them, but no hosting or linking. That's no fun, and the users won't like it (which is why I've waited weeks before taking action).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been meaning to bring this up, last I used the Wood R4 firmware (1.28 I believe), I could not get the Union Room to work in Pokémon Black (J), a clean ROM.
The union room bug had been fixed in the (E/U) version but persists in the (J) version.

Anyhow, thanks as always for this fantastic firmware, the flashcart scene is indebted to your hard work.

Edit: Tested on 1.29, the (J) version still has the union room bug.
I think AKAIO 1.8.6a shares this problem too, although it works on my Supercard DSTwo just fine.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Rydian said:
Snailface said:

I don't want to try to force him, which is why I've waited so long to e-mail him a request. It certainly would be bad if we have to stop hosting Wood or if he stops it altogether, but as it is the source must be available. I made sure to note him in the e-mail I just need to make sure it's available, I've got no plans to actually make anything of it myself.

The unfortunate thing is if he insists on keeping the source to himself, then we'd need to treat the recent wood releases like we do BIOS files and such... we can announce and talk about them, but no hosting or linking. That's no fun, and the users won't like it (which is why I've waited weeks before taking action).
Or I have a better idea. How about we just ignore it and let things be as they are. I would rather Wood be closed-sourced than no Wood at all.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
to be honest, i really don't care much about it. its just a firmware for a flash kit that is used to run illegal roms. its not like we are exploiting the next "linux." unless the gpl lawyers send me a letter i'm not removing any uploads nor am i going to stop uploading future releases to filetrip.

-another world

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
to be honest, i really don't care much about it. its just a firmware for a flash kit that is used to run illegal roms. its not like we are exploiting the next "linux." unless the gpl lawyers send me a letter i'm not removing any uploads nor am i going to stop uploading future releases to filetrip.

-another world
So as head of mag staff your official decision is to ignore copyright laws? If it's determined that we're okay to put it here, then we should also be okay to put BIOS dumps, and things such as the cracked versions of AKAIO...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
looks like the end of wood might start here if people's gonna push this issue.

I say let it go
I'll readily admit I'm the most vocal, but I'm not the only one. We have had people signing up here just to ask for the source since they know it's GPL'd.

This is the GPL, it's a legally-recognized license, shit is serious now, people sue over GPL violations all the time and you don't have to be the copyright holder to do it.

Yes the chance of getting sued is very minor, but so is the chance of getting sued for hosting the GBA BIOS, Nintendo WADs, and other such things, but they're still against the rules here because it's illegal.

If this was not GPL'd I'd be on the "Suck it up, if you want a better menu for your cart code it yourself like YWG did" side, but this is actually a legal concern for the site.

As magazine staff I'm not going to risk it.

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
RoMee said:
looks like the end of wood might start here if people's gonna push this issue.

I say let it go

yes... -.-'.... come on guys... like a gay little cat boy said "I would rather Wood be closed-sourced than no Wood at all"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Shouldn't the kid be the scary one?