Workers in Chinese Apple Factories Forced to Not Kill Selves

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
2) Foxconn is one of THE BEST employers in China for unskilled labor. It is the kind of job people are lining up for. They actually charge the LEGAL wage required and pay overtime.

OBJECTION!

QUOTE said:
In October, 2010, a report by 20 Chinese universities described Foxconn factories as labour camps and detailed widespread worker abuse and illegal overtime.

Illegal, meaning NOT PAID.

Further:
QUOTE said:
An 83 page report detailing the Foxconn suicides and labor conditions was produced by 20 universities in Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China.[2] Interviews of 1,800 Foxconn workers at 12 factories found evidence of illegal overtime and failure to report accidents.[2] The report also criticized Foxconn's management style, which it called inhumane and abusive.[2]

SOURCE1
SOURCE2

And...they have charges of racism/discrimination flying to their doorstep.

Allegations of employee mistreatment have been made on a number of occasions. News reports highlight the long working hours,[12][14] discrimination of mainland Chinese workers by their Taiwanese co-workers,[21] and lack of working relationships at the company.[2

This contract was passed to protect their own profits and everyone knows it. They're full of shit and that's why they only want to pay minimum. Think about it, why would workers kill themselves to allegedly pay off debt if they were working at a fair wage?

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I want you guys to consider this savage hypocrisy.
http://www.apple.com/uk/environment/reports/

QUOTE said:
The way our products are manufactured, used and recycled represents the largest percentage of Apple’s total greenhouse gas emissions. That’s why we design them for better environmental performance. We measure that performance in Product Environmental Reports. Here you’ll find detailed information on how every Apple product performs in these categories:

Has it come to it that the general public may be more concerned with the environmental footprint it leaves, rather than the well-being of the people it employs, including those outside of the country?

Hasn't it ALWAYS been this way?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Factories need better working conditions, or best, all the workers should go on strike at once, that will teach the factories a lesson.
dry.gif

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this part of the article to be especially twisted:
QUOTE said:
[The Centre for Research on Multinational Companies and Students & Scholars Against Corporate Misbehaviour (SACOM)] said the company initially responded to the spate of suicides by bringing in monks to exorcise evil spirits.
What spineless, criminal mockery!
SACOM released a report on the conditions at FOXCONN if anybody's interested: http://sacom.hk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05...l-promises1.pdf

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Coreyfrog7 said:
You all say this despising apple but a large majority of us own flashcards, just imagine how good the conditions of those factories are.

Probably not bad at all. They're probably cheap as hell to make and require very little work.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
why does everyone make it like foxconn only makes apple stuff they don't they make a lot better products than the i-crap you keep hearing about.
foxconn for example also makes nintendo, sony, microsoft stuff.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Coreyfrog7 said:
You all say this despising apple but a large majority of us own flashcards, just imagine how good the conditions of those factories are.
I am sure most people are aware how things work in China, but this is sort of unexpected from a big corparation like Apple.
Guess this is why they manufacture stuff in china
tongue.gif

art-101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
I want you guys to consider this savage hypocrisy.
http://www.apple.com/uk/environment/reports/

QUOTE said:
The way our products are manufactured, used and recycled represents the largest percentage of Apple’s total greenhouse gas emissions. That’s why we design them for better environmental performance. We measure that performance in Product Environmental Reports. Here you’ll find detailed information on how every Apple product performs in these categories:

Has it come to it that the general public may be more concerned with the environmental footprint it leaves, rather than the well-being of the people it employs, including those outside of the country?

The most environment friendly company in the world, it just so happens the least ethical.

When I look at Steve Jobs I picture the villain from Temple of Doom.

Ravte

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
nutella said:
Why is everyone blaming Apple? Apple just produces their products at the factories. They're not in control over the factories' policies.

By boycotting Apples products, they'll eventually notice the drop in sales, ask the customers wassup, notice that people don't like this situation in the factories, Apple does something because Jobs is just another greedy person looking for more money. (I don't mean it's all Jobs fault lol)

Honestly, money makes the world go round, you got the power, you go for it. It's been seen throughout the history, you abuse the weak to make profit and humans seem to be obsessed with this thing called money, so why ever stop?

Too bad this situation can't be solved in a blink of an eye. Imo this was a d*ck move from the factory owners, just another way of saving/getting money while disguising the attempt as a way to improve the workers life quality.

I don't know how much a person who's in the state of mind to commit a suicide, cares about the money his or hers relatives could milk from the situation. So in the end what good does this pledge do then?

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ravte said:
nutella said:
Why is everyone blaming Apple? Apple just produces their products at the factories. They're not in control over the factories' policies.

By boycotting Apples products, they'll eventually notice the drop in sales, ask the customers wassup, notice that people don't like this situation in the factories, Apple does something because Jobs is just another greedy person looking for more money. (I don't mean it's all Jobs fault lol)
Had the article not even mentioned Apple, most people wouldn't really care as much. It just adds shock value to grab attention. It doesn't make sense to boycott Apple specifically when Foxconn produces and assembles a variety of tech products for many different companies.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Next time you want to moan about trade unions because subway workers are on strike or whatever, consider what your working life would be like without the labour movement.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
nutella said:
Apple have immense power. They can do a lot but they care more about money than kicking Foxconn into touch. The only way I can see this changing is through boycotts and continued pressure through the media/social networking sites etc. Public pressure can change this. And the same goes for the other companies that use Foxconn facilities.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mabilouz said:
nutella said:
Apple have immense power. They can do a lot but they care more about money than kicking Foxconn into touch. The only way I can see this changing is through boycotts and continued pressure through the media/social networking sites etc. Public pressure can change this. And the same goes for the other companies that use Foxconn facilities.
Fair point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll see hey cod is on Gamepass and go that route