newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
After some trial and error I got the NPC cars onto the track. There is no collision on them right now but at least you get to see them and work out how challenging it is going to be to avoid them while avoiding hitting the walls.

Update 0.29
- NPC cars visible (no collision yet)
- adjustments to the camera

Download test build v0.29

ID-boot_2021-03-12_19-16-49.png
ID-boot_2021-03-12_19-17-02.png

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
v 0.31
- you can now collide with the other vehicles (you want to avoid this, lol)
- energy meter now highlights when you hit the wall or other vehicles
- change the camera view in the option menu for best view of the track

todo
- I plan to make longer tracks longer because they seem too short, especially on easy. I think a track that takes a 1.5 minutes to complete should be good. DONE

Download test build v0.31

ID-boot_2021-03-13_13-09-12.png

* vehicles show up as squares when the obj model file is not loaded correctly.

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
v 0.32
- NPC vehicles now have their own models and colours
- Hard difficulty courses is now twice as long which means you will have to be very careful if you want to make it to the end.

todo
-colliding with NPC vehicles can sometimes drain a whole lotta energy. FIXED

- I'm not sure if I should have energy re-gen sections/strips or collectable powerups.

Download test build v0.32

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Today I am working on the signs on the skyscrapers. I was using a few lines before but I am now going to load a image map. Which will likely give room to more variety in the signs that can be displayed. I want to get full shibuya at night. Of course without the reflections, glowing and light bloom which I cannot do. lol

Last edited by newo,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

I think this might be my most awesome looking homebrew ever. The thing looks like dream when running at full speed.
Yes,that is for sure.You are very persistent on your Project(s) and gives us Updates/always keeps us up to Date.
You are working continuously without longer Pauses in between,which I personally find really admirable.

Thank you very much !!!!:bow::yay:

Reactions: banjo2 and newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
v 0.36
- fixed a bug where the intro slideshow images werent showing up
- added a fadeout when changing stages
- added fog when you go under ground (might remove this)
- added a 80s retro sun/moon in the background, might need to make it bigger and lower in the sky

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I managed to get to level 3 on real hardware.
Plays great, love the music and wooshing sound on takeovers, though it kind of sounds like a generic 8-bit flame effect.
I'd probably increase the speed a tiny bit, because there's not much of a challenge at this speed (I played without releasing the gas), and would put up a damage meter, as I couldn't see any health bar.

Love the neon look and the minimalistic, and (deceptively) simple design.

Question:
Does the camera match the track segment inclination? I couldn't help but notice a jittery effect on ramps...

GREAT EFFORT!

PS: I set up my own development environment myself and who knows, I might do something someday...

EDIT:
Yup, there's a line representing the health, my bad. My brightly lit environment didn't allow me to see it correctly.
And you are right! First person view is a heck of a challenge!

EDIT 2: Level 6, Score 19194...

This little game is seriously cool!

Last edited by eyeliner,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@eyeliner thanx for the comments. I searched around for a free woosh sound effect but I will take another look into it. I am not much of a sound effect guy. I have yet to figure out how to modulate an engine sound so I just left it out. I definitely could use some help on that aspect. I try not to let myself get "stuck" on any one thing especially when there is so much to do!

There is a line at the top right that depletes when you hit a wall but thats pretty much it (I might need to change the colour). I try to keep my homebrew simple since the homebrew audience is small. I could dial the speed up a little but I really want people to enjoy the drive and the corners are many so it could get annoying to feather you pedal around every single corner. And there are no breaks, lol. I try to add other features so that expert players can create their own meta challenge like hard mode (track is twice as long) or extra points if you near miss other cars (todo).

Thanx, the design is very simple, no? I just add a few things to increase visual interest without causing the frame rate to drop. Always gotta watch the frame rate.

I am still tinkering with the camera. Right now It seems like high camera 4 is the best way to play at this point. Working on it. Yes there is noticeable jitter on close up camera views - I will take another look at it when I get some time. Getting the car to stay on the track is the biggest coding challenge but it sorta works now - with jitter up/down hill.

Thanx for the input. So many distractions on the internet nowadays people are finding it hard to work on their own projects. But you should get at it!

Last edited by newo,

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@eyeliner thanx for the comments. I searched around for a free woosh sound effect but I will take another look into it. I am not much of a sound effect guy. I have yet to figure out how to modulate an engine sound so I just left it out. I definitely could use some help on that aspect. I try not to let myself get "stuck" on any one thing especially when there is so much to do!

There is a line at the top right that depletes when you hit a wall but thats pretty much it (I might need to change the colour). I try to keep my homebrew simple since the homebrew audience is small. I could dial the speed up a little but I really want people to enjoy the drive and the corners are many so it could get annoying to feather you pedal around every single corner. And there are no breaks, lol. I try to add other features so that expert players can create their own meta challenge like hard mode (track is twice as long) or extra points if you near miss other cars (todo).

Thanx, the design is very simple, no? I just add a few things to increase visual interest without causing the frame rate to drop. Always gotta watch the frame rate.

I am still tinkering with the camera. Right now It seems like high camera 4 is the best way to play at this point. Working on it. Yes there is noticeable jitter on close up camera views - I will take another look at it when I get some time. Getting the car to stay on the track is the biggest coding challenge but it sorta works now - with jitter up/down hill.

Thanx for the input. So many distractions on the internet nowadays people are finding it hard to work on their own projects. But you should get at it!
So you know, both 'eyeliner' and 'Wii' users are me. I set up both of my Wiis and let me tell you:
Playing in my 55" TV with component with little ambient light, is an amazing experience.

And for some reason, on track 7, I was pushed outside of the track in an intersection(?) of sorts. I was doing quite well and after a short while, one does get in the rhythm of the game and driving becomes quite more pleasurable.

Tip of the hat to you, sir.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1