Homebrew working on a quick little wii racing game

Dcep1501

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think the brand should matter. I did find some bugs in the code which might have caused it. So I fixed some potential causes and cleaned up some other stuff. It could be any number of things, could be pressing the buttons during loading or even lack of gamecube ports, who knows. Its a process of elimination. Hopefully this works. I will bump the version number again as soon as you have 0.71 installed.

View attachment 258200
Installed. Noticing some slowdown on level 1 (HARD), and another level that I forgot. I noticed this while going through the parts of the track that has the side posts, almost like street lights? May be an overpass? Either way, figured to post here.

EDIT: Auto update worked with the .71 build!

Last edited by Dcep1501,
Reactions: newo and banjo2

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
With the game done I can relax again and mess around with pointless things or work on totally different project but I'm going to fix the underground tunnels today. Nothing game breaking but the walls are not using the proper up vector. Its a long time annoyance that I had.

Attachments

• screenshot_20210325222929.png
    screenshot_20210325222929.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 122
  • screenshot_20210325225253.png
    screenshot_20210325225253.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 132
  • screenshot_20210325230100.png
    screenshot_20210325230100.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 139

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Even though I am not actively developing this game right now. I hope people are enjoying it. I am already thinking of things that I could add in version 2. Including possible an arcade mode with 10 or more tracks in random order. Or maybe achievements like "beat the game on hard mode" or "complete the track without hitting any walls".

corner signs are definately a possiblity. see screenshots;

ID-boot_2021-04-15_21-09-13.png
ID-boot_2021-04-15_21-14-40.png
ID-boot_2021-04-15_22-09-30.png

Last edited by newo,

Dcep1501

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arcade mode and some kind of attract mode where it auto-plays and switches back to start screen would be nice.. very arcade-like. And the turn signals is a big YES!

Even though I am not actively developing this game right now. I hope people are enjoying it. I am already thinking of things that I could add in version 2. Including possible an arcade mode with 10 or more tracks in random order. Or maybe achievements like "beat the game on hard mode" or "complete the track without hitting any walls".

corner signs are definately a possiblity. see screenshots;

View attachment 258895 View attachment 258896 View attachment 258897

Reactions: newo and banjo2

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Build v1.04
- attract mode starts after 12 seconds on the title screen. (switchs camera view every 6 seconds, switchs stage )
- wind speed particle effects as you drive (I tried to keep it subtle)
- camera movement is a tiny bit smoother
- turn arrows on some corners of the track
- minor tweeks and optimizations
- i created an yt channel where I am dumping old devlogs with no sound or title.

let me know if its works. you will have to download this new build because its not going be put in auto-update until its bug free. have a good day

Download: test build.

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I got the chance to play it last night! This game is awesome! One thing, if you are looking to polish at all, the between level continue graphic's sound effect is very sudden and loud. It breaks the immersion a bit.

thnax for playing. did you beat the first stage?

do you mean the sound effect of the menu? I am considering getting rid of that continue menu completely. but there is no graphic there its just a menu with some sfx. SFX can be turned down in the options menu. I will default it to a lower volume in the next release.

livid_hen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thnax for playing. did you beat the first stage?

do you mean the sound effect of the menu? I am considering getting rid of that continue menu completely. but there is no graphic there its just a menu with some sfx. SFX can be turned down in the options menu. I will default it to a lower volume in the next release.
I was able to beat easy mode, but I have been struggling on normal XD. And by graphic I meant that menu, yes.

Last edited by livid_hen,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@livid_hen ah, I see. Normal mode has more challenge and tunnels. During testing we decided to start the game on easy so that we dont lose too many players before they got a handle of the controls. Trust me it gets easier to handle the more you play.

Thanx for you suggestion, I am going to turn completely off the menu sfx sounds for that menu.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is the menu
ID-boot_2021-04-12_09-50-24.png

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hey all, leaderboards are back and I have been fixing a few things.

Build 1.07 Beta
- long awaited variable acceleration with the pressure sensitive R shoulder buttons on the Classic or Gamecube controller.
- Right joystick is also variable accelerated. (push up to accelarate)
- cleaned up the ui
- background stars
- ship flame reacts to button pressure
- attract mode now starts after 16 seconds and transitions are smoother

This is a testing build so it wont auto update. Download: test build.

screenshot_20210427145855.png
screenshot_20210427175429.png

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Build 1.086 Beta
- new splash screen 4 explaining the control options by mr reaper
- bug fixes for framerate slowdowns on some tracks
- new ship flame colours and animation
- controller fixes for analog sticks and shoulder buttons
- track 4 and 8 have no buildings

Alot of this work is just to ensure that the game run consistently at 60fps even when there are lots of buildings and signs in front of the vehicle.

screenshot_20210430175814.png
screenshot_20210430180052.png
screenshot_20210429181857.png

Last edited by newo,

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally played this tonight (had to fix cabling issues which delayed me). It's really lovely.

My wishlist:
- engine noise
- smoother following of vertical changes in the track
- lap race mode
- CPU racers
true, though maybe an option to turn engine noise off and set how many cpus there can be. I like the lack of these things personally, though I do see why many people would want them.

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Finally played this tonight (had to fix cabling issues which delayed me). It's really lovely.

My wishlist:
- engine noise
- smoother following of vertical changes in the track
- lap race mode
- CPU racers

- main reason there is no engine noise is that I do not yet understand how to make it work. But few people have complained about it not being there so no large demand to get it into the game.

- I am working on increasing the detail as much as possible.

- the tracks do not come back to the start so there is no way to drive back to the beginning. which means lap race mode would not be possible.

- I was contemplating this originally and posted the question in this thread and the answer came back to radracer style random traffic. real CPU racers would probably take longer to code.

Thanx for the feedback

@BlazeMasterBM There is always a SFX volumen menu option to turn them down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At least I'm not playing single player :P