Hacking Would you buy a flashcart if you weren't allowed to pirate?

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first, there's no way in hell that I would, but after using a CycloDS for almost two years, I can guarantee that I would. First of all, it is awesome having all of your games on one cart, and add-ons like the EZ-Flash 3in1, backing up your own games is extremely easy. Also, the cheat database is amazing and is just one file (for most carts), making it really easy if you want to mess around in your games. Finally, possibly the biggest reason for me would be the homebrew. Amazing emulation for NES and GB games is enough to warrant the purchase (okay this is still considered piracy, but lets pretend that you own all the NES and GBC games IRL). With awesome games like Still Alive and Video Game Hero, and awesome apps like Moonshel and DSReader, you'll wonder how you lived without a flashcart this long.

It's really sad that flashcarts are mainly associated with piracy, since they have so many applicable uses.

okay post replies gogoogog

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, but I really don't understand the question. Are you asking if I'd buy a flash card for the sole purpose of backing up my own purchased DS games and never download anything? No, on the grounds that upon discovering the Cyclo I sold all of my DS games to raise the money to buy one then simply downloaded the games I had before
smile.gif

thiefraccoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes.
i mean, i can use it as a small media player and run homebrews (colors! is my favorite. since i draw a lot).
actually, I have a psp, which serves as a better media player.
but still, DS has some nice homebrews.

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would still buy a flash card, I like being able to watch movies I own.. after I rip them and format them to play on the ds that is... And being able to watch amv's as well other stuff, you can even turn your ds into a ...larger mp3 player to. And then there's putting pictures and game guides on the ds to, what if your computer is'nt near you while your playing one of those games you really need a guide for or something. Or what if your going out of town and want to beat the heck out of a ds game you could put the guides/maps you need on it. Or make your own home brews.. its not that hard and the software is only 10 bucks.

It can do alot more than just play roms...

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would in a heartbeat.
I use my DSi for practical uses such as reading e-books, listening to audio books. class lectures, music and view movies.
I leep abreast with email through Google's mobile gmail.
The flashcart allows me additional functionality through Moonshell and various plug-ins.

Basically I utilize my DSi as a small portable netbook. The flashcart allows me access to programs that would otherwise be unavailble.
Have preordered a DSi XL and already have an AceKard 2i ready when it arrives. The DSi w/flashcart rivals the XO laptop and other netbooks for size and convenience.
Using a flashcart instead of a disk drive allows for loer battery consumption and is more robust in harsh environments.
For me, the flashcart is a necessity for the way I utilize my DSi.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sure, that is what I bought mine for. Wanted to emulate Mega Drive (sadly wasn't as good as I hoped so I don't use it now), NeoGeo (King of Fighters, Garou and Metal Slug rock, and I own them on PS2 so technically, I'm not pirating those) and some older systems as well. Also started using it with NirtoHax. Last time I tried a ROM on it was to check out a game I was thinking of buying when it released in my country. Scribblenauts. Saved me a bunch of cash. If I want a game, I'd rather have an actually cart with all the packaging.

Atashi

Out of the Loop
Trophies
Website
planetstephanie.net
XP
Country
Canada
I would / did. I bought my flashcart so that I could play the games I'd already bought, without having to worry about carrying all the little cartridges around. Now the originals stay safe at home on the bookshelf and I enjoy the convenience of having my favorite games all available at once.
smile.gif

(I know that's considered against the rules in some places, but luckily I don't live in that sort of place.)

I'm also enjoying some homebrew apps, and have been dabbling in doing some homebrew of my own.

About the only thing I haven't explored is multimedia on the DS. But I like that it's a possibility.

Cheers!

-Atashi

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whipple said:
I would in a heartbeat.
I use my DSi for practical uses such as reading e-books, listening to audio books. class lectures, music and view movies.
The flashcart allows me additional functionality through Moonshell and various plug-ins.

Basically I utilize my DSi as a small portable netbook. The flashcart allows me access to programs that would otherwise be unavailble.
Have preordered a DSi XL and already have an AceKard 2i ready when it arrives. The DSi w/flashcart rivals the XO laptop and other netbooks for size and convenience.
Using a flashcart instead of a disk drive allows for loer battery consumption and is more robust in harsh environments.
This is the kind of reply that I was looking for lol
I am proud of you good sir

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whipple said:
I would in a heartbeat.

Yet you still use an Acekard 2i, for games. If you wanted a DSi purely for the uses you specified, you would have an iPlayer instead because of it's enhanced media/ homebrew capabilites.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
First honest to this thread:

Short answer:
No.

Long answer:
We are not permitted to pirate any fucking way, this thing, big fat book, named "Law" kinda says that it is KINDA not Ok - yet we do it still...

and SHIT'S OFF THE HOOK YO!

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sumea said:
First honest to this thread:

Short answer:
No.
As hard as it is to believe, some people do prefer to own their games rather than pirate. I know I do. As stated, I brought my cart for emulation of older systems. Beyond the occasional test of something before I spend all that cash, I only use this for NeoDS and NitroHax. Just wish that the iPlayer was out when I got my card. GBA emu would have been useful for Pokemon hacks.

HotSauce23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
like many before have said..we have already bought them in a situation in which pirating is illegal..

personally i bought one because i'm a poor man..i can't afford to go and buy a bunch of games that i'd like to play..this along with the variety of things you can do with a card such as watch movies and what not..

in the end..i'm a cheap guy and i like money in my pocket over games anyday..if i couldn't obtain pirated versions i doubt i'd even have a ds (or a psp for that matter lol)

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is one really allowed to pirate?

Pirating is illegal and I bought one anyway...
So yes.

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay obviously I did a poor job phrasing the title because I was very tired when I posted this.

New subject:
"Would you buy a flashcart if you COULDN'T PIRATE AT ALL"
That should clear things up a bit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbqh0vXaRLw