XBone: Microsoft releases information on what goes.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Gee, how dare Microsoft not cater to those, I dunno...3 people? Why on earth should they care about some idiots who wait 50 years to play their games? 99.999999999% of their customers are not going to do that, and frankly, it's not their problem. Y'know if you buy a carton of milk and keep it sealed for 50 years, it'll go off - how unthoughtful of those cows.

Anyway, the amount of over-reaction in this thread is outstanding. Could it be a little inconvenient for some people? Sure. Is any of this stuff really going to matter to the majority of users? Nope. I am certain that at least 99% of the people who would consider buying this console have a decent internet connection that will be able to handle popping online once every 24 hours to verify licenses and what not. I doubt we're talking a very large amount of downloading, probably a couple of MB max.

Being able to access your entire library anywhere is obviously a massive plus, as is having 10 family members all able to access one communal games library (much better than what's possible now; say your brother lives in another country, right now you probably get very few chances to swap games, and when you do you have to be willing to go without whichever game(s) you give him for a while - with the Xbox One, you can both be playing a particular game as soon as one of you purchases it).

Stuff regarding reselling/trading; it's the same with every other digital medium. You can't trade in your digital movies when you're done, or your digital music or whatever. That's just a side effect of the move to digital distribution.

In short, none of this is a particularly big deal, and certainly wouldn't put me off the Xbox One if I were considering one (which I'm not really, I don't have much time for video games these days, and if I did I'd probably get a cheap 360 or PS3 and play all that generations great games that I haven't played).

You're right. Screw collectors and future generations.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gee, how dare Microsoft not cater to those, I dunno...3 people? Why on earth should they care about some idiots who wait 50 years to play their games? 99.999999999% of their customers are not going to do that, and frankly, it's not their problem. Y'know if you buy a carton of milk and keep it sealed for 50 years, it'll go off - how unthoughtful of those cows.
Loads upon loads of people trade in their used games when a new generation rolls in and that will be restricted by the "select retailers" clause - it's an intervention in free market and it will cause price fixing if it won't bork the entire used games infrastructure altogether.

Anyway, the amount of over-reaction in this thread is outstanding. Could it be a little inconvenient for some people? Sure. Is any of this stuff really going to matter to the majority of users? Nope. I am certain that at least 99% of the people who would consider buying this console have a decent internet connection that will be able to handle popping online once every 24 hours to verify licenses and what not. I doubt we're talking a very large amount of downloading, probably a couple of MB max.
No problem there as long as you don't do road trips with your console and you're 100% sure that you'll have steady access to the internet - not everyone has this luxury though.

Being able to access your entire library anywhere is obviously a massive plus, as is having 10 family members all able to access one communal games library (much better than what's possible now; say your brother lives in another country, right now you probably get very few chances to swap games, and when you do you have to be willing to go without whichever game(s) you give him for a while - with the Xbox One, you can both be playing a particular game as soon as one of you purchases it).
You can only access "your entire library" on different systems for an hour. That's it. As for having 10 family members being able to access the installed content - whoopie-doo! Consoles have done it since the dawn of time. This is not a feature.

Stuff regarding reselling/trading; it's the same with every other digital medium. You can't trade in your digital movies when you're done, or your digital music or whatever. That's just a side effect of the move to digital distribution.
This is not a digital medium though - you do have the physical discs. The only difference is that you use them for a full install like you would on a PC. That however doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to unregister your copy and sell the disc.

In short, none of this is a particularly big deal, and certainly wouldn't put me off the Xbox One if I were considering one (which I'm not really, I don't have much time for video games these days, and if I did I'd probably get a cheap 360 or PS3 and play all that generations great games that I haven't played).
This actually is a big deal because it re-structures the way we handle both online and retail purchases entirely, handing the monopoly to big chain stores and the publishers themselves, killing off smaller used games stores, killing off EBay/Craig's List market, removing off any retro value whatsoever (as the consoles will just die the moment they're no longer supported by XBL in, say, 10 years unless Microsoft decides to remove the 24 hour check "feature") and taking away your first-sale right to a given product by knocking on your metaphorical door and saying "I'm sorry, you haven't been online for more than 24 hours, I'm afraid you can't play this until you do" which is complete and utter nonsense as you own this game and should be entitled to play it even if you're on the surface of Mars and it shouldn't be anyone's business.

Another problem is borrowing games from friends. Now, when a friend wants to borrow a game from me, note the word borrow, I am entitled to do this because the license only states that there's supposed to be one user at any given time, so I can forfeit my right to use the software I legally own in order to give another person a chance to try it out. Microsoft wants that person to pay an activation fee because they think I'm "renting" it. I'm not renting it. I'm not making money off it, this is not a transaction. There is no legal requirement that'd force me to have a rental license in order to borrow or lend games because it's not a business for me and I should be able to share the software that I am a legal owner of as long as it's not used on more than one machine at any given time, meaning simultaneousy. I'm not renting games from Microsoft - I buy them. This is a one-time only transaction - the goods are transfered in exchange for money and that should be "it". Microsoft shouldn't have any interest in what I choose to do with the game I already bought because this particular copy of the software has already been paid for - it's not magically duplicating just because someone borrows it. Now, I would welcome it with open arms if I had to unregister the title and then I could borrow it but that's not the case, at least to my knowledge.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can only access "your entire library" on different systems for an hour. That's it. As for having 10 family members being able to access the installed content - whoopie-doo! Consoles have done it since the dawn of time. This is not a feature.
From what I understood it's not limited to an hour but while using this feature you need to connect to the internet once every hour instead of once every 24 hours.

Reactions: SifJar

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

"What's really important is viewing Nintendo almost like a toy company where we're making these things for people to play with. As a consumer you want to be able to keep those things for a long time and have those things from your youth that you can go back to and experience again..." - Miyamoto

(Just read this a minute ago.)

If the games are good then people in the future will want to be able to repurchase that old system and relive some of those memories. Most might sell their systems at first, but there will be a day when they want to try those games out again. Game consoles should be and has most of the time been designed with this in mind, it's history being written and it's history well worth preserving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU