Gaming Xbox 360 questions

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions relating to my 360.

1. I got the red ring of death, so I used the towel trick to fix it, but now it randomly freezes. Is there a fix for this?

2. If not, is the dvd drive still good?

3. Can I transfer my downloaded games to a new xbox?

4. Will the dvd drive from my old xbox work in the new slim model?

5. Could I then install a custom firmware on that drive and play backups on it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) The towel fix is barely a fix at all. Random freezing is usually a secondary problem for RRoD boxes- usually in the days leading up to RRoD proper you will get random freezes. You can try heat gunning the GPU and/or CPU that might sort the problem.

2) Possibly- towel fix overheats all electronics in the box (which is why I dislike it) and that does not do them wonders. Lasers are especially sensitive to heat.

3) MS provide the ability to transfer content http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

4) Ish- you can spoof if memory serves (I have only skimmed slim related DVD news) but it will be plain as day to MS that you did this. Certainly you can not just drop the DVD drive in and have it work (it will just drop down to the plays DVDs only side of things).

5) If you do not mind advertising that you are doing it to MS then yes I believe you can.

You are better off waiting a couple of months to get everything sorted there- most of the slim DVD drives can be dumped and modded as it stands but AP25 happened and the making of LT+ pushed the slim hacks back.

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel a bit better about transferring my license (I thought it required physical access to the xbox, and knowing it doesn't is a huge relief). So thanks for telling me that.

Now, another question is about overheating. Is there any measures I can take to stop the xbox from overheating? Like a cooling fan? I'd want it for the Slim model of course since I'll likely just take out the dvd drive and then junk my old 360.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends what you want to call overheating- MS have likely designed the hardware with lifetimes and acceptable temperature ranges in mind. Alongside this though they also have noise concerns so they might well have slowed the fan to reduce noise a bit.

There was an extra fan released a few weeks back, I have never been convinced about these things.

If you fancy playing with a soldering iron there are other options as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag