H8TR

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lets say I hook up my Xbox 360 through HDMI to my computer monitor which has an HDCP Compliant HDMI Port. But my monitor doesn't have speakers nor a 3.5 audio jack. Since HDMI transmitis audio over the same cable as video, how will I be able to get to hear the audio? Can I use the two audio cables of the component cable for audio while having the video displayed through HDMI?

P.S. I don't have a 360 yet but is the problem that I will run into when I do get it.

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
I have often thought the same thing. I do not have one either and my solution is, don't bother with a elite with HDMI just use a cooler king and hook it up vga to vga then get the audio jacks seperate and hook them up to your amp or speakers. But if you wanted HDMI still then you would get no sound and have to get come component cables for the audio.

H8TR

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the component cables come with the Xbox 360 Premium so I wouldn't have to buy one. I just want to know if it is even possible to have both the component cable and HDMI cable in the console while the HDMI cable transfers video and audio(that I can't hear) and have component cable transfer audio. Will the 360 do that?

Edit: May have found an answer

...and it appears to be no. The Xbox 360 Elite has a separate port for transmitting audio only. No other Xbox 360 has that port. I haven't been able to specifically find a site where it does say no but it would seem unlikely as the Elite has a dedicated port to do that.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think you'll need a receiver. 360 HDMI-HDMI receiver connection, and you hook up speakers to the receiver, sound gets processed at that point, remaining video data gets transmitted via another HDMI cable that connects the HDMI output port of the receiver and into the monitor.

Receivers can be expensive and may not worth the cost if your speakers aren't VERY good.

I use component cable for my 360 - FHDTV, looks fine to me.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...15&catid=23556#

looks as if you get the offical xbox 360 hdmi cable kit (good price for a hdmi cable, compared to others sold in big box retailers)... it comes with an A/V adapter. would work with both the new (with in last year) premium and all elite systems, as the hdmi port is separate. then the adapter would be used in the regular A/V port.

from the product description.
"Optical/RCA Audio Adapter included for non-HDMI supported stereo systems."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol