Hacking XorTroll working on USB HDD Feature

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
does this support USB so I can load retroarch and then have access to GB or roms and isos?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ummm USB support is one of the major points in SX OS and consistently has been pooh poohed by atmos users as useless,, irrelevant and inconvenient to have a USB device hanging from the switch.. the hypocrisy reeks - that is probably the cause for the condescension.

As I have said MANY, MANY times - atmos users have no concept of the ease of use features on SX OS and ridicule them.

But I hope xortroll sticks with this project and finalises USB support so other CFW users can enjoy it as well.

that's a lot of storage space for homebrew and emulated games... ;)
And yet not everyone is like that. USB Support is nice, but not a game changer for me.
It's still doesn't matter if you are a SXOS fanboi or not, but seriously, it's not a point of this thread. So if @Essasetic say when, I will start clean it.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install from a USB, but you can't install to a USB drive and then play games directly from USB. This is a lot of the benefit of USB drive support; HDD's are cheap, MicroSD's are less cheap.

Exactly, this is the purpose of it. But I'm just disappointed to seeing a lack of full potential here :(
its not that hard to keep 1tb of nsps on an hdd and just uninstall/reinstall them when needed. with a 128gb msd that allows you to hold a good number of games at a time, so maybe once every few days it takes a minute to uninstall a game and install a new one from the hdd. really not an issue, especially since nsps launch faster than xcis do.

Reactions: mathew77

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sweet! Nice work to all involved! This is a big deal :D im excited to be able to install nsps from my usb while on the go, rather than be tethered to a computer to install... Or worse, tethered to a usb drive running xci's. I may be the opposite of @tinkle in this case lol. I see the xci's as more of a burden lol. Installing nsp's from a temporarily connected usb is way more convenient than being forced to have to have a harddrive/flashdrive connected just to play a game :D

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the first time i'm trolling a Atmos thread, good work XorTroll and Sigma Guy:) , but many times in SX threads we have had Atmos users saying they didn't want or need USB loading , after all a switch is meant to be portable without a cable and usb device sticking out of it.

I wonder how many Atmos users will now say it's what they've been waiting for after saying they didn't want it :unsure:

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the first time i'm trolling a Atmos thread, good work XorTroll and Sigma Guy:) , but many times in SX threads we have had Atmos users saying they didn't want or need USB loading , after all a switch is meant to be portable without a cable and usb device sticking out of it.

I wonder how many Atmos users will now say it's what they've been waiting for after saying they didn't want it :unsure:
i cant speak for others but while im glad we have this, i still wont use it personally. nor would i use xci loading or emunand if atmos got them.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I think this is a misunderstanding on ur part. The inconvenience is being forced to be tethered or usb sticking out just to play a game. That is not what this thread is about. This thread is about the convenience of being able to temporarily connect a usb, install a game, and then disconnect the usb and still be able to play.

Reactions: Ephraim_Bane

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is a misunderstanding on ur part. The inconvenience is being forced to be tethered or usb sticking out just to play a game. That is not what this thread is about. This thread is about the convenience of being able to temporarily connect a usb, install a game, and then disconnect the usb and still be able to play.

thanks for that :) but it's a start to usb loading from a storage device. any extra features or functions to any CFW can only be a bonus :)

but the title of this thread does say USB HDD feature :unsure:

Last edited by JoeBloggs777,
Reactions: silvershadow

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
its not that hard to keep 1tb of nsps on an hdd and just uninstall/reinstall them when needed. with a 128gb msd that allows you to hold a good number of games at a time, so maybe once every few days it takes a minute to uninstall a game and install a new one from the hdd. really not an issue, especially since nsps launch faster than xcis do.
well the thing is that an SD card doesn't have unlimited writes so if you're constantly writing to it, it will break a lot faster

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the thing is that an SD card doesn't have unlimited writes so if you're constantly writing to it, it will break a lot faster
are you implying that swapping a game once every few days when you finish one/want to start a new game is going to make the sd die? they take hundreds of tb before dying

Reactions: LightBeam

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
are you implying that swapping a game once every few days when you finish one/want to start a new game is going to make the sd die? they take hundreds of tb before dying
that depends on the brand and how much it costed. I had some die on me rather quickly and some lasting ages. It has somewhere between 10 000 and 100 000 writes.

Last edited by kumikochan,

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that depends on the brand and how much it costed. I had some die on me rather quickly and some lasting ages.
so your argument is that keeping 1tb of nsps on a separate drive to move to your switch sd is bad because if you buy a shitty sd card then after you do that for a long time the sd will die. i can make that same argument for steam being bad. "i installed a bunch of games and my ssd ran out or writes" no one is going to break their msd moving games to it every once in a while from an hdd, if they did then people would be breaking their sds by getting games on the eshop

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
so your argument is that keeping 1tb of nsps on a separate drive to move to your switch sd is bad because if you buy a shitty sd card then after you do that for a long time the sd will die. i can make that same argument for steam being bad. "i installed a bunch of games and my ssd ran out or writes" no one is going to break their msd moving games to it every once in a while from an hdd, if they did then people would be breaking their sds by getting games on the eshop
It wasn't meant as an argument. I just said constantly writing to your sd card makes it die faster, that's all. Wasn't meant as an argument whatsoever

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

All of which SX OS users have been doing with NSP files and then directy executing the XCI files from USB when it became available.. there has never been a requirement to be tethered to a USB stick or dongle sticking out of your switch - some people do, most people don't. I think you'd find most people have a USB HDD full of XCIs attached to the dock, so they can easily select a game, play it and when they change their mind go play something else. If you like the game and decide to continue playing it then copy the file from USB to SD card and run it from there when using the switch in mobile mode.

The USB stick on the go seems to be the misunderstanding on other CFW users behalf because they cannot think of other ways of using something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: nah who am i kidding? we all know he lives in north korea