Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
What do we need to decrypt game executables?

Probably a kernel exploit.
Without that we can't dump RAM to get decrypted executables directly, and we also don't know or haven't implemented the algorithm used to decrypt executables when loading them (though if my understanding is correct and the Vita's NPDRM engine resembles the PS3's, we should already have access to the act.dat and .rif data used for decryption. Could very well be wrong though).
A public kernel exploit would make either of these a possibility.

Reactions: Rizzorules

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Probably a kernel exploit.
Without that we can't dump RAM to get decrypted executables directly, and we also don't know or haven't implemented the algorithm used to decrypt executables when loading them (though if my understanding is correct and the Vita's NPDRM engine resembles the PS3's, we should already have access to the act.dat and .rif data used for decryption. Could very well be wrong though).
A public kernel exploit would make either of these a possibility.
henkaku has a kernel exploit, so we should be ok :) just a short wait i imagine

Reactions: Rizzorules

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since henkaku is a kernel exploit ram dump should be ok. I don't know how do aslr work exactly, but since it only randomiz where the processus is stores it should not be a real problem.

But it seems too easy. If we start a commercial game it will be decrypted and them loaded in memory but is this enought ? Is it possible to just export the memory part where it is stored and use it as it ? Not sure at all

tuxdude143

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Since henkaku is a kernel exploit ram dump should be ok. I don't know how do aslr work exactly, but since it only randomiz where the processus is stores it should not be a real problem.

But it seems too easy. If we start a commercial game it will be decrypted and them loaded in memory but is this enought ? Is it possible to just export the memory part where it is stored and use it as it ? Not sure at all
I highly doubt it would be that easy.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Or just have the system decrypt it, like with the 3DS.

Also the aslr implementation in the vita might be more complicated,not sure though.

Reactions: cearp

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
I highly doubt it would be that easy.

ASLR helps next to nothing on protecting from dumping if you already have kernel execution. ASLR protects against "first entry" on a exploit, that's why ROP shellcodes are used instead of classic shellcodes. But once you are executing code in kernelmode, in which you may have kernel modules' base(s) resolved or you can scan memory in several ways, it's just a matter of using some old tricks. Then you probably have kernel API functions to locate modules or you can scan memory again. For kernel module base obtention you can use ARM's architectural registers ( for system interrupts/syscall ), page tables, etc. as hints from where to start scanning backwards ( to lower positions ) for SCE / ELF headers or others. And for usermode processes' modules' base addresses you have other similar things you can do even without kernel's help.

EDIT: Actually, ROP is used because of non executable stack/heap; but ASLR makes ROP pointers to gadgets difficult to setup, because of the lack of code addresses knowledge. So, in order to prepare a successful ROP ( with proper prointers pointing to the needed code gadgets ), the kernel ( or other module ) base address must be calibrated somehow. HENkaku does this as well, so no problem here.

EDIT2: I guess the pointers leak in the stage 2-3 on henkaku reversing is the key to this calibration.

Last edited by Inaki,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I guess I'll leave my vita on 3.60 for a few months to see if the scene grows tremendously with more emulators and apps. If it doesn't I guess I will have to update or buy a new vita or a pstv.
The Vita scene is already larger and more active than the Wii U scene, iso loaders aside.

Reactions: cearp
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently, someone dumped a decrypted game, ToH: Trails of Cold Steel. Not sure if it works, and I don't have a Vita on me.

As far as I know, the eboot needs to be decrypted to be able to run the game, but who knows, the pastebin link I found it on claims that the game is decrypted, don't know if the eboot is also decrypted though.

Last edited by insidexdeath, , Reason: More Info.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently, someone dumped a decrypted game, ToH: Trails of Cold Steel. Not sure if it works, and I don't have a Vita on me.

As far as I know, the eboot needs to be decrypted to be able to run the game, but who knows, the pastebin link I found it on claims that the game is decrypted, don't know if the eboot is also decrypted though.

Package it as a vpk, install it and see if it runs.

I've got the same pastebin (I think) and I read that its eboot was still encrypted.

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
pastebin descryption :

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel PS Vita (Decrypted) Dump
nothing about the fact that the eboot is encrypted.

Some one can test it ? XD

if it is not this mean someone, somewhere has break NPDRM or there is 1 more dev unit in the jungle ...

if it is, then it is probably useless x)

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
pastebin descryption :

if it is not this mean someone, somewhere has break NPDRM or there is 1 more dev unit in the jungle ...

I don't believe the eboot is decrypted.

CoreMessageInspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
pastebin descryption :

i am gonna test it, just needs to finish the transfer, will take some time

Reactions: annson24

snakes8291

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
pastebin descryption :

oicep5.jpg

just finish to download the game on pastebin, so data.psarc? what is that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PiiXM51oBo