Yo-kai Watch 2 Save Editing Capabilities

ragnaroktomorrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone with experience with the editors know if they can be leveraged to unlock content that would otherwise require linking between versions (Mystery Way/Yokai exclusives/etc)? I'm wondering if it could effectively make Psychic Specters a "definitive version" of the game. I have no experience with the editors yet, but at first glance they seem fairly alpha/POC.

Grova

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I decided to try this out for myself because I'm currently playing through the game but have no way of linking all the games at once. From my experience, editing the spooky key in does not open the mystery way door. Nor will Mr. E say anything. :cry:
I've tried doing this with my psychic specters save that I haven't beaten yet and fleshy souls which I have beat. Neither worked.

AFAIK there's no feature in the yw2 save editor to choose which map your character is in unlike the yw3 save editor so I have no way to test if the butterfly key, boar key, and deer key work either while inside of mystery way.

It seems as if linking the games manually is the only way. Sucks because I was definitely looking forward to this.

Extra info:
My psychic specters save is USA region while my fleshy souls and yw1 save is EU. When I tried linking the yo-kai cam bonuses from yw1 (EU) to psychic specters (USA) it didn't work. The same goes for linking all versions of yw2, make sure all games are the same region!

Reactions: ragnaroktomorrow

ragnaroktomorrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I decided to try this out for myself because I'm currently playing through the game but have no way of linking all the games at once. From my experience, editing the spooky key in does not open the mystery way door. Nor will Mr. E say anything. :cry:
I've tried doing this with my psychic specters save that I haven't beaten yet and fleshy souls which I have beat. Neither worked.

AFAIK there's no feature in the yw2 save editor to choose which map your character is in unlike the yw3 save editor so I have no way to test if the butterfly key, boar key, and deer key work either while inside of mystery way.

It seems as if linking the games manually is the only way. Sucks because I was definitely looking forward to this.

Extra info:
My psychic specters save is USA region while my fleshy souls and yw1 save is EU. When I tried linking the yo-kai cam bonuses from yw1 (EU) to psychic specters (USA) it didn't work. The same goes for linking all versions of yw2, make sure all games are the same region!
Thanks so much for this. I was hoping to save some $$ and only buy Psychic specters. This can be done in some other series (Pokemon, Mega Man Star Force, etc) with existing romhacks/editors but good to know the Yokai editor isn't quite there. Do you know if there are other issues with this approach besides Mystery Way?

There is some way to make it happen, it's just a matter of finding it. I might toy with my files/look at what the current editor is doing whenever i get around to playing these (which could be years from now...), but seems like the safest bet is to just give in and find people to link with or purchase the set. I guess a 3rd option might be a save upload/good samaritan service where a server/someone with access to all 3 versions can trip the linking flags properly given someone's save file, but reverse engineering is probably far less of a hassle for everyone.

Actually, a 4th option would be to simulate a local connection by capturing whatever wireless traffic would occur between two systems and retransmit it over the internet. I wonder if that solution already exists but for a different use case...
Anyway, have fun with Yokai 2 :yay3ds:

Edit: Got myself curious and sounds like Citra could solve this (option 4). Not quite as good as what i was describing, but if both sides can get to their save files, it should work. Citra's explanation of its multiplayer functionality sounds like it at least.

Reactions: Grova

Grova

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for this. I was hoping to save some $$ and only buy Psychic specters. This can be done in some other series (Pokemon, Mega Man Star Force, etc) with existing romhacks/editors but good to know the Yokai editor isn't quite there. Do you know if there are other issues with this approach besides Mystery Way?

There is some way to make it happen, it's just a matter of finding it. I might toy with my files/look at what the current editor is doing whenever i get around to playing these (which could be years from now...), but seems like the safest bet is to just give in and find people to link with or purchase the set. I guess a 3rd option might be a save upload/good samaritan service where a server/someone with access to all 3 versions can trip the linking flags properly given someone's save file, but reverse engineering is probably far less of a hassle for everyone.

Actually, a 4th option would be to simulate a local connection by capturing whatever wireless traffic would occur between two systems and retransmit it over the internet. I wonder if that solution already exists but for a different use case...
Anyway, have fun with Yokai 2 :yay3ds:

Edit: Got myself curious and sounds like Citra could solve this (option 4). Not quite as good as what i was describing, but if both sides can get to their save files, it should work. Citra's explanation of its multiplayer functionality sounds like it at least.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy lately (Happy new year!). I believe there's a way to make it happen, but Yo-kai Watch doesn't quite have the demand for a fleshed-out save editor like Pokemon, which definitely does suck, but I'm 100% not complaining about what we have now.

You could look at buying the other versions of the game 2nd hand whenever you feel like playing through the game again or for the sole purpose of getting to Mystery way, as they're relatively cheap nowadays, OR if you have a homebrewed 3ds, get them that way instead. Do make sure all games are from the same region because from my experience having both from different regions does not let them link in any way.

Alternatively, Citra might be the closest other option available. Transfer your save over to Citra using a program like Checkpoint for your 3ds and find (or host!) a Yo-kai watch 2 online room. I've never tried this method out myself so I can't say if it works or not, but it sounds logical and there should be plenty of communities willing or available to help you out.
If you ever plan on doing this, good luck and have fun! Do update me:)

ShadowIce

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Extra info:
Does the save editor work for citra, if yes, could you link the download
Post automatically merged:

Extra info:
Does the save editor work for citra, if yes, could you link the download

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol