• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

You know that snake oil Trump has been selling nightly on his TV show?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Thirty-seven per cent of the 6,200 physicians from 30 countries questioned in a survey said that hydroxychloroquine is the best therapy on the market."

That means 63% felt differently. I'm curious as to why you would use an example that goes against what you were trying to point out.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
[QUOTE="Purple_Shyguy, post: 9040764, member: 141805"]"Thirty-seven per cent of the 6,200 physicians from 30 countries questioned in a survey said that hydroxychloroquine is the best therapy on the market."

That means 63% felt differently. I'm curious as to why you would use an example that goes against what you were trying to point out.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "Lies, damn lies, and statistics." Your interpretation only follows if the choice is binary between "works" and "doesn't work". What this shows us in actuality is that 37% were able to agree on a single course of action but 63% were unable to establish a majority opinion.

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
Plelase stop projecting. I don't appreciate your effort to reframe the conversation, it's vapid and reeks of insecurity. I'm not interested in Trump, I'm interested in why you behave the way that you do.

C'mon man, name a few things, seriously. Shouldn't be hard?

Unless you can't?

Seriously, this 'I don't necessarily support Gump' is the new new 'I'm not alt-right, i'm actually quite left/libertarian'. Only people who staunchly defend him seem to be saying it lmfao.

I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Oh, when the statistics show you're wrong they become lies, huh. Interesting, interesting...

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
That means 63% felt differently. I'm curious as to why you would use an example that goes against what you were trying to point out.

The point is that its being used globally as a potential treatment and isnt just some Trump conspiracy theory,
The first news of the treatment came from China in the first place with their reporting they were using it to successfully treat infected.

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
The point is that its being used globally as a potential treatment and isnt just some Trump conspiracy theory

Months ago according to you, like 35 days to everyone else, right?

The first news of the treatment came from China in the first place with their reporting they were using it to successfully treat infected.

CHAINA CHAINA CHAINA DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know why you guys keep arguing with someone who has Seoul Korea as where he is from. Being an american i can't give 2 shits as to what someone from Seoul Korea thinks of our presedent.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
C'mon man, name a few things, seriously. Shouldn't be hard?

Unless you can't?

Seriously, this 'I don't necessarily support Gump' is the new new 'I'm not alt-right, i'm actually quite left/libertarian'. Only people who staunchly defend him seem to be saying it lmfao.

Oh, when the statistics show you're wrong they become lies, huh. Interesting, interesting...
This is more projection. You are crafting a strawman and attempting to otherize me with labels. You are a very dishonest person and I can see there's no point in trying to reason with you.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Months ago according to you, like 35 days to everyone else, right?

CHAINA CHAINA CHAINA DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT.

You are coming across completely and utterly unhinged bro. How many months do you know of with 35 days in them?

If April was one month ago then March was *blank* ago? Do you know plurals?

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy,

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
I dont know why you guys keep arguing with someone who has Seoul Korea as where he is from. Being an american i can't give 2 shits as to what someone from Seoul Korea thinks of our presedent.

Unlike fucking dumbass rednecks, I am qualified to work and live in many places. I also haven't been there in years. You think South Koreans are native English speakers? Get a grip, followed by some life experience.

This is more projection. You are crafting a strawman and attempting to otherize me with labels. You are a very dishonest person and I can see there's no point in trying to reason with you.

'Projection' and 'strawman' are just words you're using to deflect because you cannot even name a few benevolent things this orange turd has done. Sad.

You are coming across completely and utterly unhinged bro. If April was one month ago then March was *blank* ago? Do you know plurals?

Do you know intellectual dishonesty?

Of course you do.

'Months ago' my fucking ass.

All Trumpstans are lying scumbags.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Unlike fucking dumbass rednecks, I am qualified to work and live in many places. I also haven't been there in years. You think South Koreans are native English speakers? Get a grip, followed by some life experience.

'Projection' and 'strawman' are just words you're using to deflect because you cannot even name a few benevolent things this orange turd has done. Sad.

Do you know intellectual dishonesty?

Of course you do.

'Months ago' my fucking ass.

All Trumpstans are lying scumbags.

BREAKING NEWS! MARCH IS NOT TWO MONTHS BEFORE MAY! TRUMP IMPEACHED!

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
FWIW, I would suggest anyone not invested in trolling to simply stop responding at this point. There's nothing constructive to be had here.

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
FWIW, I would suggest anyone not invested in trolling to simply stop responding at this point. There's nothing constructive to be had here.

"I can't name a singular thing this dickhead has done that's not evil, making my assertion that people unfairly consider him to be evil complete fucking bullshit. Sad."

Last edited by Waygeek,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The point is that its being used globally as a potential treatment and isnt just some Trump conspiracy theory,
Studies coming from china where inconclusive.
https://www.contagionlive.com/news/results-from-a-controlled-trial-of-hydroxychloroquine-for-covid19
Ten days later:
https://www.biospace.com/article/china-clinical-trial-says-malaria-drug-doesn-t-help-covid-19/
(Just the first links found via google. Sources not vetted.)

The problem basically was, that he was briefed on the first one (probably), then 'upgraded' the results of the study in terms of viability, and then stuck to that script - for too long, while the rest of the world already was informed, that results on hydroxychloroquine were inconclusive. (Thats the 'what the heck is he doing' part.)

Also there have been two additional issues with that recommendation, first hydroxychloroquine, when taken in doses that turn out to be too high is poisonous, and people (- even in the US) died from taking it (clinical trials), second, that patients with Lupus - who rely on that drug as treatment suddenly werent able to get it, because people rushed to get prescriptions based on - in non scientific lingo - a theory, thats was still in the process of being evaluated. While the POTUS told people, go get it "what do you have to loose". While not having ramped up production beforehand.

Thats the entire argument. ;)

edit: From a PR standpoint, at least that brought 'hope' to some people ('there is a potential cure that already exists'), at a time, when arguably it was needed.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
In the US, the military social media accounts are now resorting to war propaganda, to tell people that wearing facemasks and washing hands is something thats good for the nation, because apparently that didn't come across in the presidents addresses to the nation so far.

Across the country, military units have been posting World War II-style propaganda posters to social media feeds, urging Americans to wear face masks, wash hands, stay home, and stay alive.
src: https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2020/05/propaganda-president-and-reopen-protesters/165081/

Examples:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Zh_aIo868/

https://twitter.com/NASPCOLA/status/1255956743756173314

https://twitter.com/NASPCOLA/status/1254868454311710722

Hashtag is #sinkcovid19

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yeah, this is an odd one - since its war propaganda, but repurposed... :)

So its used to give you the feeling of 'this is a war, we need to stick together', but using actual historical tropes, which makes it immediatly identifiable as (former) propaganda. Which counteracts it working as such - a bit. :)

Also depending on source, and actually your source as well, propaganda doesnt _have_ to be misleading. :) (f.e.: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...nclesamwantyou.jpg/1200px-Unclesamwantyou.jpg )

If you watch Adam Curtis' Century of the Self (BBC) you could see that part of its origin story was being brought over by Bernays as a 'method to 'control mass behavior' for advertising purposes, in peace times. (First in the US.) And I think its intended purpose holds true here as well. ;)

But I agree, that this is not propaganda in the misleading sense. As such it would have been more subtle.. So this is actual information in a historical propaganda wrapper? To conjure up feelings of 'being in a war', but transparently? ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: How you doin xdq?