YouTube ReVanced project releases app manager that patches out ads from the main YouTube app

vancned.png

Rising from the ashes of YouTube Vanced is the ReVanced project, which has seen a major milestone with the release of the ReVanced Manager app. ReVanced came to be after Google went after the original YouTube Vanced app with a cease and desist, resulting in the end of the sideloadable Android app that allowed users to skip sponsors, ads, and other tweaks usually exclusive to the paid YouTube Premium subscription, but for free.

ReVanced does those same things, but exists in the form of an Android app patch, as distributing a pre-patched .apk YouTube client is illegal. Additionally, this project is fully open-source, and you can follow its development on GitHub. Previously, users have been able to use the ReVanced patch, though it required building the patch from the source code. Now, however, the ReVanced Manager has been released, which simply and easily patches the YouTube app. Currently, the manager is in an alpha release, and offers support for patching out timeline ads on Twitter, or general advertisements on the official Reddit app, alongside the primary focus of adding quality of life features to both YouTube and YouTube Music.

This alpha release follows the recent news of YouTube trying out anywhere from 5 to 10 unskippable bumper ads before videos.

:arrow: Source

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
While this would work, ReVanced has more features than simply ad blocking. It allows background play, video downloads (via a quick link to the Newpipe app), integrates SponsorBlock natively, and many other patches you can make to the app, such as removing YouTube shorts, disabling the cast button, changing the YouTube logo, etc.
the sponsorblock part is realy good. is funny how some of tha channels that (for idk what reason) i still subscribe, with sponsorblock and all other blocks, reduces a video from 30 min to 14 and a half, because MOST OF THE VIDEO is sponsors. and im talking about slope's game room...

but yeah, revanced (like the vanced app was in the past) have so many good features, that simply patch original youtube (for me at least) is not enough, but i appreciate the existence of this option, in case comething goes wrong with all other available options.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
the sponsorblock part is realy good. is funny how some of tha channels that (for idk what reason) i still subscribe, with sponsorblock and all other blocks, reduces a video from 30 min to 14 and a half, because MOST OF THE VIDEO is sponsors. and im talking about slope's game room...

but yeah, revanced (like the vanced app was in the past) have so many good features, that simply patch original youtube (for me at least) is not enough, but i appreciate the existence of this option, in case comething goes wrong with all other available options.

I've never played with the vanced app. Are there features that aren't supported by revanced?

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've never played with the vanced app. Are there features that aren't supported by revanced?
i dont think so. maybe one or two new features (the download thing, for example). if vanced still works for you, i dont see the need to "upgrade" XD. i did changed to revanced for my new smartphone, and the experience was really good so far. my current setup for youtube is: adblock on browsers (windows), smartube on my fire tv stick and revanced on mobile devices.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i dont think so. maybe one or two new features (the download thing, for example). if vanced still works for you, i dont see the need to "upgrade" XD. i did changed to revanced for my new smartphone, and the experience was really good so far. my current setup for youtube is: adblock on browsers (windows), smartube on my fire tv stick and revanced on mobile devices.
I'm happy with revanced being open-source, mitigating the privacy concerns to being (more or less) a google issue.

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I honestly suspect the Youtube app itself rather than it being Vanced patched. But they ho, you got ReVanced and a more fresh version :D
Yeah. Youtube moved to split APKs and I installed the installed the version from tabzer's link, but the Revanced APK still is refusing to install. So I dunno.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah. Youtube moved to split APKs and I installed the installed the version from tabzer's link, but the Revanced APK still is refusing to install. So I dunno.
Refusing to install? I chose to install as root option as the regular install always fails for me. I don't know how to get past that. There's some mention about "microG", but I don't know anything about it.

Reactions: shanefromoz

LibreNyaa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
librenyaa.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Refusing to install? I chose to install as root option as the regular install always fails for me. I don't know how to get past that. There's some mention about "microG", but I don't know anything about it.
MicroG is a reimplementation of Google Play Services. It isn't (or at least shouldn't be) required to start or install the app, just to be able to log into your Google account without root. Regular install has always worked for me, but I use the install scripts and haven't tried the manager itself yet.

Last edited by LibreNyaa,
Reactions: Wavy

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
MicroG is a reimplementation of Google Play Services. It isn't required to start or install the app, just to be able to log into your Google account without root. Regular install has always worked for me, but I use the install scripts and haven't tried the manager itself yet.
funny thing is, even when my devices are rooted in the past, i still used the non root version of vanced. simply because I couldn't find any benefit other than not use microG to log-in. to be honest, i never liked the idea of replace the original youtube. i prefer to use a side apk and not mess with original apks, just in case of something going wrong.
the no root version worked (and still work) fine in all devices. (i know the "cast bug" on non root, but i dont use that option anyways XD)

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, I was finally able to get Revanced to install with microG as non-root. Just had to use the Android built-in installer.

Reactions: tabzer

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If running the Revanced youtube app looks like it runs then shuts down immediately, it's because you need microG installed. I logged into google services using microG, and the app works as it should.

CyKoDeLiC

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Tried patching everything checked and installed it as nonroot. Can't start the app, says that it closed a few times Already so I need to force shut it down.

Anybody can help?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The apps are more updated, I had a bug where I had to swipe 2 times to go into fullscreen and it seems to work nice. Also you can basically add the patches you want, I think there is stuff that isn't on the Vanced app (like the HDR thing I think) but anyway you can add what you want really (you can delete some of the bloat and useless features on the navigation bar, makes the navigation easier, worth a try imo)
What HDR thing? Vanced does have a setting for HDR max brightness.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes. However, if you don't have root, select the option to install a secondary "revanced" version of the app. Without root, the app signature will not match and it will give you errors trying to "update" the installed app.

I tested the patches on YT and YT Music and they work great! It even works to patch Tiktok.

Btw, you'll still need (vanced) MicroG to log in with your Google ID if you're installing a secondary ReVanced app.
Could you explain to me about microg please

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What HDR thing? Vanced does have a setting for HDR max brightness.
I think that's it, so I guess it's not new. Still plenty of other options tho + patching tiktok/twitter/reddit is great, finally 0 ads in there + there are some patches for YouTube Music too which is neat. Vanced only had background and stuff, now you can remove every subscribe prompt and some other stuff. Just great stuff.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
  • btei @ btei:
    lethal company servers are down rn
  • btei @ btei:
    my pocket pikachu is going crazy rn
    Pocket Pikachu sounds dirty lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Penischu, I choose you.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol