Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go fuck yourself Nintendo, seriously.

And now, I fear emulators of all sorts will be next...
The emulators themselves don't provide any ROM/ISO files so it's not necessarily being used for piracy.

There's also the fact using emulators provide a much better experience than consoles do.

For example, PPSSPP has HD filters and makes games look brand new which I love.

• Love
Reactions: Mike_77712

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What? Did they just give up that quickly? Even if it was a settlement, it somewhat still creates a bad precedent for other emulators because now Nintendo will be confident enough to go after other projects.
They probably didn't feel they have enough to fight it. Or they got suggested by the lawyer(s) to shut down because Nintendo got an air tight case? Who knows

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And so, corpos can continue to fine & sue people for circumventing security locks to make personal backups or repair their own products (see: Apple, John Deere) in the name of enforcing the DMCA.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And so, corpos can continue to fine & sue people for circumventing security locks to make personal backups or repair their own products (see: Apple, John Deere) in the name of enforcing the DMCA.
Feels like the US isn't a good place if you want to do stuff that is gray zone

Reactions: Henx

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is no big deal if development ceases, the emu is already built up very well and the damage has been done.
If nintendo released Zelda TOTK on better hardware that wasn't hacked since year one they wouldn't be able to complain about this. I played it on my pc because it just looks and feels playable then on my switch. I'm glad i can backup my game and play them on Yuzu in MUCH better quality.
Nintendo has done a lot wrong and is a really crappy company, but for a 2017 handheld you really can't claim the hardware is bad. In 2024 yeah it's obviously behind but what you're doing would be like accusing Sony of releasing a weak handheld in 2012 because the PSP couldn't keep up 7 years later (chose that handheld because it also has TV out, including a version with a dock and bluetooth controller support, and it was hacked in year 1). I'm saying this as someone who spent a little over a week playing TOTK on my PC before it released, and as someone who emulates a lot of new Switch releases on a Steam Deck. The Switch wasn't any further behind the power curve when it launched than the Steam Deck was at launch, and both ran into games they just couldn't run well at all within two years. It's just how handhelds are.

Reactions: Sir Tortoise

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
I want to know why a settlement was reached... Never will I guess. However, it seems a bit odd that if emulation is wholly legal, why did Yuzu bow out? Legal fees? The world will never know..
Emulation is legal, and it's illegal to facilitate piracy. Both can be true. The overlap between the two is a grey area, it's not like the legal use is a shield for anything but itself. Yuzu was just very openly positioning itself on the piracy side, making it an easy target.

Reactions: James_

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
What? Did they just gave up that quickly? Even if it was a settlement, it somewhat still creates a bad precedent for other emulators because now Nintendo will be confident enough to go after other projects.
Were you planning to fund a drawn out legal battle for them?
Post automatically merged:

Fuck Nintendo.​

You should stop playing all Nintendo games, cuz you don't like the company right

Reactions: Nicht and maxfreak

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
May not be dissimilar to how Sony sued Bleem over 2 decades ago 👴

Bleem won but went bankrupt with the litigation. Sony got the result they wanted in the end.
Sony sued for Copyright Infringement. Nintendo sued for circumvention. This isn't the same sadly.

Reactions: Kitocco

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not a lawyer but lawsuits can easily take up multiple years of your life. Imagine if yuzu's lawyer said that you've got a 50/50 shot of winning and this case will probably take four years and might be appealed to a higher court.

Paying $2.4 million dollars and getting over it sounds pretty good now compared to wasting 4 years of your life and losing even more money plus the reputation it can bring to your personal life if you lose (AFAIK bunnei's real name isn't known publicly and I didn't see it in Big N's lawsuit filing) or hell even if you win.

Plus as mentioned above if the lawsuit goes sour in yuzu's favour it could hurt emulation with rulings prohibiting things.

Reactions: Ducolamia

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure how much of this is true but, it may be that they are gonna fight back. Courtesy of a user in the Discord channel :-

'To the Nintendo representatives who are certainly here:

You will eventually pay for your bullying and widespread abuse of intellectual property laws to force a desired public image of yourselves. An attorney conduct complaint against your lawyer, Nicole Benjamin, is being filed for willful material misrepresentation of evidence during a court case. You will be held accountable for your rampant, repetitive abuse of the DMCA to remove artwork, criticism, and more from the Internet, not only for your deeds against Yuzu, but for your deeds against artists whose work you removed yet couldn't even see from Patreon (which is illegal, you must review all material you remove) between July 2019 and December 2021.

I am not affiliated nor associated with Tropic Haze, LLC. I have not contributed to Yuzu's development.'

End Quote.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto