Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What? Did they just gave up that quickly? Even if it was a settlement, it somewhat still creates a bad precedent for other emulators because now Nintendo will be confident enough to go after other projects.
The opposite is true. When you’re not certain that your defense is airtight *or* if you simply don’t have the resources for a lengthy round of lawfare, a settlement is a more desirable outcome because it’s a bilateral agreement between the two parties involved that doesn’t set a legal precedent for future cases of similar nature. Not that it matters all that much in civil proceedings, but Yuzu’s legal team clearly thought this was the outcome that caused the least amount of damage to them. They erred on the side of paying up instead of risking complete life ruination of everyone involved.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
No buy in Nintendo. That simple and super effective.
Good idea. But this will never happen. Even their crappy online "service" is reason enough for me not to renew my membership. The games are good, but I am not willing to pay for it. And I know for a fact that Nintendo won't change anything on the next console. The games will run with p2p again. But there are enough children ;)

But that's offtopic.

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why does their team now parrot Nintendo's talking points? EMULATION. ISN'T. PIRACY. PERIOD.
You know damn well it's what at least 99% of people emulating are using it for. It's like saying modding consoles isn't piracy. Sure, technically it's not but there is a reason people get upset when their favorite rom site is shut down and it's not because we were all playing legally made backups of our own carts and discs.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Tomorrow an idiot would put a ban on knives because psychopaths use it to decapitate people.

Its a typical outcome, what did you expect? If you're small you cannot afford bleeding more money. I don't think this scummy company had a chance to win, would honestly like to see them lose and be humiliated. It shouldn't even stop there, they should counter sue this shit company for bullying legal open source projects.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Official statement on Yuzu's Discord server has been made.

View attachment 423841

Yuzu is also discontinuing their support for Citra as well, along with shutting down their Patreon and Discord.

I can't believe the lead dev assumed people wouldn't pirate using emulators.
That's unreal.

Either way, what a sad day for the emulation scene.
Here's hoping we get worthy successors in the future, for both dead emus.

P.S.: Keep being a complete joke, US legal system.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From the Citra Discord:

1709581228683.png

Citra is dead. I think.

All of their tweets on Twitter (minus retweets) have been deleted, and all of the Discord server has been locked since this edit.

Last edited by James_,
  • Wow
Reactions: Y0shII and BigOnYa

A Generic User

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a reasom for them to praise Nintendo afterwards. They get their money and ban on Yuzu. Nowhere was it stated that the Yuzu team should be loyal to Nintendo afterwards.
They're not praising Nintendo. They're just acknowledging that they're in a losing battle. Plus (and I might be wrong), them saying otherwise might be treated as contempt of court.

Reactions: linuxares

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto