Gaming Zelda producer confirms Breath of the Wild taking place after Ocarina of Time

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
@Chary wiiubricker going to replace you
lol i'd like to see him try
I'm glad to see regular users posting lots of news yay

Zelda people are really hardcore with their timelines. Nice to see people won't have to obsess over rock formations to find BOTW's place in the timeline.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trailer already said it was calamity ganon. That's the official name of the timeline where link did not defeat ganon (so windwaker and original zelda timeline), so we already knew this tidbit of info because of the trailer. Bolsters the whole "re-imagining of the original zelda game" thrust, though I'm sure it's a different era.

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh not really. Just because there are koroks and ritos. Doesnt exactly mean its in ww's timeline at all. Not the first time they used characters from a different timeline. (Tingle and beetle say hi)

Edit: Ancient sea salt doesnt reall prove much either because it couldve been flooded before skyward sword for all we know. Also it couldve been a smaller land and water slowly receded in time.

Last edited by LuigiXHero,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh not really. Just because there are koroks and ritos. Doesnt exactly mean its in ww's timeline at all. Not the first time they used characters from a different timeline. (Tingle and beetle say hi)
Except the existence of the Rito and the existence of the Koroks are both tied to events or characters specific to the Wind Waker timeline.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet the interview says that it takes place after OoT and Wind Waker itself says there was no hero between OoT and Wind Waker. Something doesn't add up.
First, the question wasn't, "When does the game take place?" The question was, "Does the game take place before or after Ocarina of Time?" Wind Waker is a few hundred years after Ocarina of Time, so it's fair to say it comes after. Also, it's not hard to retcon it so there was a hero between Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time, especially if the people who told the stories that became legend were unaware of the hero's existence. Link will appear to jump back and forth between the distant past and the distant future, and the dystopian future might be after the Hylians fled to the mountaintops but before the flood. I can think of a dozen ways there could have been a hero between OoT and WW. If we were to exclude WW prequel though, that doesn't exclude WW sequel.

Second, with regard to what I said about the Rito and the Koroks, the existence of the Rito is contingent upon the existence of Lord Valoo. Lord Valoo was born on Dragon Roost Island after the flood.

Last edited by Lacius,

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
First, the question wasn't, "When does the game take place?" The question was, "Does the game take place before or after Ocarina of Time?" Wind Waker is a few hundred years after Ocarina of Time, so it's fair to say it comes after. Also, it's not hard to retcon it so there was a hero between Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time, especially if the people who told the stories that became legend were unaware of the hero's existence. Link will appear to jump back and forth between the distant past and the distant future, and the dystopian future might be after the Hylians fled to the mountaintops but before the flood. I can think of a dozen ways there could have been a hero between OoT and WW. If we were to exclude WW prequel though, that doesn't exclude WW sequel.

Second, with regard to what I said about the Rito and the Koroks, the existence of the Rito is contingent upon the existence of Lord Valoo. Lord Valoo was born on Dragon Roost Island after the flood.
After noticing your avatar I probably can't argue with that. We will soon know for sure anyways.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDk this is all crazy. I have the book and its so much info an so confusing lol.

But yea the Koroks and Rito are in BOTW, there is game play that shows it.

So maybe it comes after Spirit tracks. (lol purely saying this because thats when everything started to get back green and no more water.)

But we wont truly know until the game is out adn some more info is released.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
IDk this is all crazy. I have the book and its so much info an so confusing lol.

But yea the Koroks and Rito are in BOTW, there is game play that shows it.

So maybe it comes after Spirit tracks. (lol purely saying this because thats when everything started to get back green and no more water.)

But we wont truly know until the game is out adn some more info is released.
Pray to Goddess Hylia that there are no trains in BotW.

Reactions: Lacius

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is much more evidence for it being after TP due to how hyrule looks like before its destroyed. It looks like it was in prime condition not like it was ever flooded and looked exactly like TP hyrule castle town.

Also it being a ww sequel makes no sense because they created a new hyrule. Theres no way they would willingly go back to old hyrule.

Last edited by LuigiXHero,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But wind waker lore clearly says there is NO hero between OOT and WW...
So it's definitely not in the downfall timeline, and the gods most likely would have spared Hyrule if the hero is alive so it shouldn't be a pro-ww fourth timeline. Zelda should not meddle with time like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land