Hacking 11.3 New 3DS XL want to install CFW for first time

Hey_everyone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone, i have a New 3DS XL which is on 11.3 (Europe), i have a R4I Gold 3DS but i have read that soundhax was an easy way to install a custom firmware.

Should i do it through the soundhax (does it still even work anymore ?) with my 11.3 system (it never has been updated when i bought it brand new it was already on 11.3) or update (and if so towards what upgrade ? 11.13 the last one) and use my r4i gold 3ds or another method (seedminer) ?

I just want to be able to install a custom firmware to be able to use CIA files, being able to use emulators (like GBA or SNES) would be a plus though.

Almost forgot, i need to copy/paste the files from the original microsd in my n3dsxl towards a larger microsd (64gb i need to format it on FAT32 right ?) to be able to use that larger microsd in my n3dsxl, nothing more has to be done other than copy/paste files from current microsd in my n3dsxl ?
And last question, after hacking my handheld starting from a 11.3 official firmware will i be able to upgrade towards 11.13 (last version) and have the last version of Luma 3DS ?

Thanks for your help.

tl;dr : best method to install Luma for 11.3 European New 3DS XL system which always has been on that firmware (have a R4i Gold 3DS flashcard if needed) and use CIA files
Thx

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay…
  • Try Soundhax first. Incredibly fast and easy.
    • Sometimes Soundhax failed for unknown reason.
  • ntrboot with a compatible R4 is also very fast but requires some practice to get the timing right.
  • Seedminer is a little more work, but the process is very automated and it's no real difference anymore.
The method you choose is not really important. The goal and result is always the same: Install B9S/Luma3DS.
  • Official updates while having latest Luma3DS are fine
  • Copy&Paste to a larger SD is all you have to do. 64GB and up have to be reformatted to FAT32 (3DS is not exFAT compatible)
=====================
Once you have custom firmware you can install any 3DS software in .CIA format.
  • SNES emulator there is also an NES and a Genesis/Megadrive emulator by the same author
  • (S)GB(C|A) emulator
  • Injecting games into official Virtual Console emulators: NSUI ← almost perfect for GBA games – NOT emulation, runs natively.
  • TWiLight Menu++ for using DS games from the console SD.

Happy reading, good luck and have fun!

Hey_everyone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you so much for your help.

Just realized i don't have that magnet that is apparently needed for New 3DS(XL) and New 2DS XL systems for the ntrboothax method so yeah i will try the soundhax before.

Last edited by Hey_everyone,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ has all the answers you need, just follow everything step by step. Maybe you have a magnet but you don't know: You can actually usae fridge magnets, some earphones have enough magnetic field that make the effect, or like me, buy a random fridge magnet, they have these in stores for very cheap prices.

Hey_everyone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ has all the answers you need, just follow everything step by step. Maybe you have a magnet but you don't know: You can actually usae fridge magnets, some earphones have enough magnetic field that make the effect, or like me, buy a random fridge magnet, they have these in stores for very cheap prices.
Yeah i knew this site and already read quite a bit (in french) but having seen some people on the internet saying that soundhax didn't work for them made me believe that this method was outdated and wouldn't work with my n3dsxl (even with it being on 11.3) and i thought i shouldn't try it but you guys got me convinced and will follow their soundhax guide closely.

Thanks

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah i knew this site and already read quite a bit (in french) but having seen some people on the internet saying that soundhax didn't work for them made me believe that this method was outdated and wouldn't work with my n3dsxl (even with it being on 11.3) and i thought i shouldn't try it but you guys got me convinced and will follow their soundhax guide closely.

Thanks
It mostly failed in case of "Frankenfirm" (meaning parts from different firmware versions put together like Frankenstein's monster) – or if a console has been updated with cartridges from very low versions and never had a full online update. This means the soundapp can have a too low version. 11.3.0-x → If "x" is a very low number or even it can fail sometimes. But as we are talking about a console from the "new" series the latter should not be the case.

ViniLaranj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
3ds.hacks.guide has all the answers you need, just follow everything step by step. Maybe you have a magnet but you don't know: You can actually usae fridge magnets, some earphones have enough magnetic field that make the effect, or like me, buy a random fridge magnet, they have these in stores for very cheap prices.
This guide still uptodate?

Hey_everyone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I received my screwdriver today and i succeeded in installing Luma and CIA files, so happy, thanks for the help.
Got a bit scared when soundhax udsploit thing didn't work on first time or when i got a black screen on boot after finishing the whole process (but an anwser in an internet thread helped : i booted without the sd card, shutdown my 3ds and then rebooted with the sd card and it worked).

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Pussy? 🤢 🤮