14 reported dead, 20 injured in shooting at Dark Night Rises showing.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
You're not taking one thing into account. A simple equation. Size of the country / Average wealth of a citizen Ratio. Weapons aren't cheap, plus the more people the more potential firearms users. Need I add that the U.S.A is quite wealthy and quite huge?

You realise that the murder stats are per 100,000 people and the amount of households with guns is a percentage, which means the size of the country is indeed taken into account? And that just because weapons are expensive in the US, it doesn't mean they're equally expensive in other countries?

And how is the reason (cost, legal restrictions, culture) for the amount of gun ownership relevant for a graph that's simply showing that more legal guns = more gun murders, in contradiction of the theory that if people have legal guns it deters criminals and allows people to defend themselves, making society safer?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a damn shame that a total waste of life felt like they had to do this to people who just wanted to watch a film and have a good time.
I've heard of many senseless attacks on business, the public and schools, but never anything like an attack on a place of entertainment.

I wouldn't call the Lincoln assassination an attack on entertainment, that location was incidental and not a senseless attack.

The whole story sounds like a slightly larger scale version of the attack on a block party full of people earlier in the week in Toronto. Then again, that was gang motivated and it was two dudes shooting at eachother with a few dozen people caught in the crossfire. No idea what the motivation for this attack is, but it's disturbing what I have been hearing. The bastard had bombs in his car and in his house, like what kind of people sell bombs or even things used to make bombs? Sounds like the dude is completely fucked in the head.

Here is the thing about gun control;

Yes, if we had enforced a greater gun control... this incident could have been prevented.

However, think back at all of the incidents where a civilian having a gun was actually a good thing and take those away. It's a double edge sword.

I can't think of any situation where a civilians having guns in this day and age makes sense. The problem is the logic of gun ownership, sorry but there shouldn't be a constitutional right to own a gun, however gun ownership should be a method of protection so long as you aren't concealing a weapon. I figure these days, everyone should have a pistol in their bed side drawer in case of a robbery, and with all the gangs out there these days it doesn't hurt to protect yourself. That said, you shouldn't be walking around in public with a gun, unless all bets are off and everyone is allowed to carry a gun, at which point I'd say everyone should carry a gun exposed in a holster. Guns for protection makes sense, guns for anything else is fucking stupid. No one should be allowed to own rifles unless they are legally using them for hunting.

too strict of gun laws stop you from protecting yourself from these criminals yet they go where they please and do what they want.

That'll be why more guns equals improved safety from guns.

Oh, wait, it's the exact opposite because the theory doesn't work at all in practice.

6Q4fP.jpg

That's a pretty old statistic sheet now. Gun crime in Canada I can tell you has gone up in the last 12 years. Hopefully before too long all these gangster kids are just going to kill one another off though, it's been a tough summer here in Ontario for gun crimes.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
I don´t think that a gun protects yo more than a stunning dart gun. And if the normal population would not own guns than fewer gangsters would do armed robbery. Because you would get less punishment if you robed somebody with an empty gun. A regular sane robber wants your money not to kill you. I would make guns and car horns illegal.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='DSGamer64']

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Civilians owing guns is a good thing in my mind. The founding fathers had good reasons for the second amendment. Sure, there are nutcases who hold no value in human life. However, I fully believe that if someone there had a concealed weapon, there wouldn't be so many injured and dead. Senseless violence like this is why I'll soon be applying for my own hidden handgun liscense. Next time I could be the person who'd save lives.

At any rate, stricter gun control may or may not be the answer. Sure, it could be tightened, but too much and people will start to turn to illegally obtained arms. That would be bad.

epicdude17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God damnit. This is just sad. I want to see this movie too. This better not happen again. Anyone know if in the past repeated actions have occured from other people?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
someone can mow down 25 people with their legal owned car, does that mean we need stricter vehicular laws? no. IMO same applys for guns.

Car are designed for transport, guns are specifically designed to kill. You could use the same argument to say backpack bombs and IEDs should be legal.

Or just about anything. "People could kill themselves by drinking bleach. You gonna make bleach illegal? No? Then why make crack illegal?"

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Senseless violence like this is why I'll soon be applying for my own hidden handgun liscense. Next time I could be the person who'd save lives.
Last time I checked a gun was designed to take lives, not save them. Sure, a gun could possibly help protect someone in rare occasions but at the same time - the more guns that are in circulation the more likely it is that said guns will be misused.

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
However, think back at all of the incidents where a civilian having a gun was actually a good thing and take those away. It's a double edge sword.
What's wrong with tasers, tranq darts etc?

If a person is on heavy drugs, that person can easily shrug off a TASER shot, and tranq darts take time to take effect, by that time you could already be dead.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Senseless violence like this is why I'll soon be applying for my own hidden handgun liscense. Next time I could be the person who'd save lives.
Last time I checked a gun was designed to take lives, not save them. Sure, a gun could possibly help protect someone in rare occasions but at the same time - the more guns that are in circulation the more likely it is that said guns will be misused.
Doesn't matter to me. I won't be pointing a gun at another human unless lives are at stake. Just because something is designed to take lives doesn't mean you can't use it to save them. I live by a code, and whatever the person wielding the weapon wants is just what the weapon does.

reshx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with tasers, tranq darts etc?

If a person is on heavy drugs, that person can easily shrug off a TASER shot, and tranq darts take time to take effect, by that time you could already be dead.
wow , i didnt knew this.
but never mind , my friend who was shot in this "event" already got back from the hospital. :)

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@[member='DSGamer64']

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Civilians owing guns is a good thing in my mind. The founding fathers had good reasons for the second amendment. Sure, there are nutcases who hold no value in human life. However, I fully believe that if someone there had a concealed weapon, there wouldn't be so many injured and dead. Senseless violence like this is why I'll soon be applying for my own hidden handgun liscense. Next time I could be the person who'd save lives.

At any rate, stricter gun control may or may not be the answer. Sure, it could be tightened, but too much and people will start to turn to illegally obtained arms. That would be bad.

I won't argue with that, but many reasonings I see from people around the Internet for owning guns is exactly what the 2nd Ammendment states, to protect the people from the government and invaders. Those ideologies are a bit old and anyone who thinks that even today, the American government would send it's army on it's own people is absolutely nuts.

I don't believe in permits to own concealed weapons, and at least having an exposed weapon would make any criminal think twice about attempting to rob you or shoot you. That said, gun regulation in America seems to be a huge problem, as well as proper enforcement of gun permits, consistent inspection to ensure that legal guns are stored properly and more thorough screening of applicants are things that could be done to control guns better.

Gun control does work, in many countries that do have gun regulations including Canada and the UK, there is not only a considerably lower gun ownership percentage, but there is also a lower gun related murder rate compared to the USA. Yes, you can make the case that there is a considerably larger population in America compared to either country, or even combined there is both a lower ownership rate and gun related death rate compared to the USA. I can't find the source, but I was reading on another forum yesterday that there were something like 240 million legally owned guns in America at last check, it's something like 65 people in every 100 own at least one gun and gun related deaths are something like 84%. Regardless, the numbers were pretty high and very shocking.

Banning guns outright isn't the solution, I'd certainly feel safer walking around with a pistol on me just for protection, but there is ultimately a very fine line that has to be walked when it comes to the morality of carrying a gun for protection, as it's nearly impossible to determine whether someone is going to go nuts and start a killing spree or not.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='DSGamer64']

I won't argue with that, but many reasonings I see from people around the Internet for owning guns is exactly what the 2nd Ammendment states, to protect the people from the government and invaders. Those ideologies are a bit old and anyone who thinks that even today, the American government would send it's army on it's own people is absolutely nuts.

I don't believe in permits to own concealed weapons, and at least having an exposed weapon would make any criminal think twice about attempting to rob you or shoot you. That said, gun regulation in America seems to be a huge problem, as well as proper enforcement of gun permits, consistent inspection to ensure that legal guns are stored properly and more thorough screening of applicants are things that could be done to control guns better.

Gun control does work, in many countries that do have gun regulations including Canada and the UK, there is not only a considerably lower gun ownership percentage, but there is also a lower gun related murder rate compared to the USA. Yes, you can make the case that there is a considerably larger population in America compared to either country, or even combined there is both a lower ownership rate and gun related death rate compared to the USA. I can't find the source, but I was reading on another forum yesterday that there were something like 240 million legally owned guns in America at last check, it's something like 65 people in every 100 own at least one gun and gun related deaths are something like 84%. Regardless, the numbers were pretty high and very shocking.

Banning guns outright isn't the solution, I'd certainly feel safer walking around with a pistol on me just for protection, but there is ultimately a very fine line that has to be walked when it comes to the morality of carrying a gun for protection, as it's nearly impossible to determine whether someone is going to go nuts and start a killing spree or not.
No kidding. Especially since this guy had no record or anything. He had extensive explosive knowledge too. I'm all for some gun control, but I don't trust the government to do it right; they screw up everything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I've never even been to the site(honestly) but have heard of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm half way at my savings for a new move
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @BigOnYa if you've never been to the site how do you know about its contents?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Can he do a shoryuken?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, cuz of people mentioning it everywhere
    +1
    Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everybody knows what that site about, and you can't read normal news anymore without hearing about it
    But it's degrading and disgusting.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, was it Juan?
    Juan who?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its just seductive pics right? I mean they don't show nudity, do they?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, you know who is juan
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    isn't onlyfans just another creepy site of fake AI generated ''women''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme or onlyfans?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them...