14 reported dead, 20 injured in shooting at Dark Night Rises showing.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/topic/331027-14-reported-dead-20-injured-in-shooting-at-dark-night-rises-showing/

same thing with the various news sources being talked about early on

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been reading through the comments about gun control and I've always been curious about that. In a way I can understand people feeling the need to protect themselves, even if there are better ways of doing it than a gun, since from what I've seen they only escalate the problem. But the comments about people wanting bigger and bigger guns because they think World War 3 is imminent....why are lunatics like that allowed to carry guns?

You want my idea on gun control? Only sell guns to people smart enough to use them only when necessary. Not people who want assault rifles over the fireplace just in case the 'Commies' attack. People so delusion and paranoid have no business being around heavy weaponry.

Personally I've always been against guns as a combat asset anyway. They're far too impersonal. The action has become too divorced from the consequences. You fire off a few rounds at someone, you don't see the results up close any more. Back in the old days when swords were the weapon of choice, you were up close and personal for every blow. You knew the consequencesof every action. You saw the lights leave your target's eyes, felt the tension in the air as you crossed blades. These days it's too easy to detatch yourself from the realities of battle. It's become more like a sport than a matter of life and death. A true warrior knows the reality of his actions. That's why gangster rappers that glorify guns and drugs piss me off. Having a gun doesn't make you 'hard'.

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the thing about gun control;

Yes, if we had enforced a greater gun control... this incident could have been prevented.

However, think back at all of the incidents where a civilian having a gun was actually a good thing and take those away. It's a double edge sword.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Yes, if we had enforced a greater gun control... this incident could have been prevented.

However, think back at all of the incidents where a civilian having a gun was actually a good thing and take those away. It's a double edge sword.
How do you know that the accident could have been prevented if harsh gun control was in place? I haven't read a single article stating that the guns were registered and legal, I'm willing to wager that they were not.

Harsh gun control affects only those who want to legally buy firearms. I agree that gun control in the U.S is too lenient, but you have no guarantee that different regulations would prevent incidents like this. As I said, a madman will kill you with a spoon if there is no other option.

That said, selling submachine guns and combat rifles in stores is beyond me, automatic and high-caliber weapons should not be in circulation unless you pass additional psychological testing.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yet another reason to just pirate the movies you want to see. You get to watch it at the safety of your home with an AK-47 held tight, just in case. But this is friggen terrible! Just goes to show you how much of a craphole the world has become as of late. First school shootings and now movie theater shootings!? What the duck man!? WHAT THE DUCK!?

Also, gun control only works on law-abiding citizens, not criminals. Unless your idea of "Gun Control" is a big red sign on the movie theater that says; "WARNING! STAFF OF THIS FACILITY IS ARMED WITH LOADED ASSAULT RIFLES AND ARE TRAINED TO AIM FOR THE KILL!"

If I had a city in America, I would require EVERYONE to have a gun! Even of a psychopath had a gun, they won't even dare to fire if everyone else had a gun! Even if he did, everyone would be armed and be able to exterminate the problem before multiple casualties occur!

edited because: -screw it! I can't get the Youtube function to work properly!

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How do you know that the accident could have been prevented if harsh gun control was in place? I haven't read a single article stating that the guns were registered and legal, I'm willing to wager that they were not.

Harsh gun control affects only those who want to legally buy firearms. I agree that gun control in the U.S is too lenient, but you have no guarantee that different regulations would prevent incidents like this. As I said, a madman will kill you with a spoon if there is no other option.

That said, selling submachine guns and combat rifles in stores is beyond me, automatic and high-caliber weapons should not be in circulation unless you pass additional psychological testing.

Touche, I post just because I like to hear my keyboard rattle.

I couldn't even think of a situation where a civilian gun saved the day.

I realized how stupid I was for posting that, I don't have anything better to do and I post just for the sake of debating.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't read a single article stating that the guns were registered and legal, I'm willing to wager that they were not.

"All the weapons that he possessed, he possessed legally," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said. "And all the clips that he possessed, he possessed legally. And all the ammunition that he possessed, he possessed legally."
http://abcnews.go.co...88#.UArvEKDaWfw

Same with Virginia Tech. In fact spree killings tend to be carried out with legally owned guns. The killers often have a clean criminal record and are the introvert types unlikely to have the connections to buy them illegally. Not that they usually need to.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the reason why gun control is necessary! It is scary to know that you could go in a public place and get shot for no reason. I don´t thing that the guy had a beef with all of the persons present in that room. He was just plain crazy with a gun. It is a scary world if you can buy bullets at sales prices. I cant remember what comedian once sad that bullets should be very expensive, but he was right, you need a gun for protection you get 5 bullets for 1000 $. It is for your protection after all.
No, gun control is fucking dumb. Most sane people treat guns with respect. You don't outlaw something because of a few nutcases.

EDIT: Apologies for the old quote, I only read a few pages, and I just couldn't let this one slip by.

This one's for Foxi4:

Reactions: 2 people

Strength

xenbld 4 ever!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How stupid were the people, they knew if u try to make an exit youl be shot, but they kept on trying to live when death awiats

gage astronomer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a sociopath… I am also a former GBAtemp member… if you know or figure out who I am please keep it to yourself.
The main thing here to point out is that I lack empathy and for the past 15+ years have thought…and even at one point came very close to doing something similar. The world I saw revolved around me…I was the center and when I closed my eyes… everyone else just stopped…

I often wonder how many people there are out there like me who identify with this shooter or other shooters in the past and yet are currently functioning members of society. It baffles me why nobody can see the obvious and instead focus on what the media and politicians want to shove down your throat. Unlike Columbine and unlike Virginia Tech this mass murder comes closest to home for me because while he had his guns I firmly believe that if he did not this day would still have occurred. A while back there was a story where a father took his kids into his home and chopped them up with a hatchet and the point here is that where there is a will there is a way. This mass murder had the knowledge of explosives and chemicals and for whatever reason chose to get up close and personal rather than just blow the theater up for a racking death count. If he wanted to though…he probably could have.

So let’s pause for a moment here and get to the point. Gun control… like I said if there is a will there will be a way. Whether we are talking about hatchets or explosives or guns. Someone earlier said something along the lines of, “Why do we not have a story of one of our armed citizens ending this shooter’s life?” Well being a legal concealed gun owner I can tell you that when I go to eat there is a sign outside that says, “No guns allowed.” A girl was raped on her way to her car from campus… her gun was in her car because gun’s are not allowed…imagine 15 steps away from possible salvation yet being a law abiding citizen wrecked her life. You go to watch Batman and leave your gun in the car… too strict of gun laws stop you from protecting yourself from these criminals yet they go where they please and do what they want.

Now let’s get to the solution or at least the possibility of one. The problem in America is the fifty dollar band-aid. Besides growing up as a sociopath I also have PTSD and MDD which I did not know any of this until I was in my late 20’s because I could never afford to go to the doctor. Let’s be honest I had a hunch but when I started taking my meds and I realized the world did not revolve around me…it blew my mind…It was like I was a horse and someone took of my blinders for the first time. However America’s health system is expensive. $200 to therapist, $250 for my psychiatrist, and about $400 for meds a month. Honestly as screwed up as I am/was? I think I should see a doctor weekly (at least the therapist) but in order to stay sane… well really how many can afford such a thing. So minutes after the shooting we have Bloomberg on his soapbox wanting a call for better gun control… Terrorist of 911 used box cutters to end a little fewer than 3000 lives, Timothy McVeigh used explosives to kill 168 people, the Boston Stranger killed 13 with his nylons…as I said in the beginning… if you are messed up in the head enough to want to do these things you will find a way and banning guns will not stop them. Allowing these people to afford to get the medical help they need is the solution…you talk about a “trigger” something to push someone over the edge…image you’re a sociopath and on meds because your job offers great medical insurance but do this economy you lose your job…trigger….and then you lose access to your doctors and medicine…. That is not even a trigger, that is your body going into shock because you’re not supposed to go off your meds cold turkey… want to know a secret… I have had two doctors that I stopped seeing where they have not followed up with me to make sure I was still medicated…and they know all my dark and dirty secrets. Fixing the health care system in America so people can get the help they need should be priority number one if you really want crap like these to be reduced. I do realize that not all of America’s deranged would have gotten the help they needed but you have to ask yourself, what if they could… if they wanted to?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
too strict of gun laws stop you from protecting yourself from these criminals yet they go where they please and do what they want.

That'll be why more guns equals improved safety from guns.

Oh, wait, it's the exact opposite because the theory doesn't work at all in practice.

6Q4fP.jpg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I haven't read a single article stating that the guns were registered and legal, I'm willing to wager that they were not.

"All the weapons that he possessed, he possessed legally," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said. "And all the clips that he possessed, he possessed legally. And all the ammunition that he possessed, he possessed legally."

Same with Virginia Tech. In fact spree killings tend to be carried out with legally owned guns. The killers often have a clean criminal record and are the introvert types unlikely to have the connections to buy them illegally. Not that they usually need to.
Thank you for the link, I did not know that. :)

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you for the link, I did not know that. :)
It's kinda crazy that such weapons can be bought legally. Those are pretty dangerous things.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This one's for Foxi4:
+10 points for Griffindor Sterling for recognizing the reference I had to use twice for someone to notice it. :P

Continuing the chat though, yes, it is true that registered firearms are rarely used in criminal activity simply because they're registered - it takes a madman who doesn't care whether he/she's caught or not to disregard this, they're mostly used in self-defence and I assure you that they are useful.

Gun control where I live is ridiculously harsh, in fact, there are a few paradoxical cases where the burglar gets killed while breaking and entering someone's house and the person who defends the house stands before court because "they have to decide whether lethal force was the only answer". For god's sake - someone came into your house wearing a ski mask, surely his intentions weren't to greet you in the neighbourhood and bring cake, and in stressful situations like this things "happen". The burglar should know that the owner of the house may be inside and he or she will not be happy of his presence, eh?

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Everybody has the right to defend themselves and their own property, and if it takes firearms to make someone feel safe and comfortable then so be it. Low-caliber guns that are non-automatic to minimize the possibility of unintended casualties, sure, but weapons none the less.

It's kinda crazy that such weapons can be bought legally. Those are pretty dangerous things.
I agree. I fail to understand why combat rifles are in active circulation for "anyone" without a good reason or proper weapons training and psychological testing beforehand. There should be limitations of what kinds and what amounts of weapons a single household (not citizen) can posses - I mean, two handguns, a combat rifle and a shotgun? This isn't self-defense anymore, and an AK-47 is not exactly a hunting rifle - it's a combat rifle. Handguns (low-cal) I can understand, shotguns too since you actually use those in hunting (unless it was an auto-shotgun) but a friggin' combat rifle? Sold to a student? Please.

Oh, wait, it's the exact opposite because the theory doesn't work at all in practice.

6Q4fP.jpg
You're not taking one thing into account. A simple equation. Size of the country / Average wealth of a citizen Ratio. Weapons aren't cheap, plus the more people the more potential firearms users. Need I add that the U.S.A is quite wealthy and quite huge?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety