14 yr old gets busted for lemonade stand..(w.t.f)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Of course it sets a precedent. It also moves into the territory of cops enforcing laws against certain types of people and not others, based on how those groups are seen by society. Is that a good route to go down?

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hm... I don't think you get it. Seriously, how the law handles minors is different from how they handle everything else. That's the only precedent here - everyone [minors included] aren't allowed to set up their own [temporary] businesses regarding food without permits. The fact that some people are going "poor children" is due to the fact that they were children. People just react differently when it's children that's the focus of the story. I don't see any precedents there.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
rolleyes.gif

*waits for Minstrels to be renamed after a claim of racial insensitivity*

Hells Malice said:
It's lemonade, not some lethal poison you moron. The law is meant to squeeze as much cash out of anyone it can
Pun intended?
unsure.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Wonder if the same logic would be applied if it was poor Romany gypsy children selling heather.

Just to expand on this (was just a quick reply before I got off the bus) there's a peculiar quirk of human nature where if you want someone to give you something, the best thing you can do is convince them you don't really need it. I saw an experiment where they got the same guy to go to the same Burger King and tell the same story in the same voice - that he'd bought a burger there yesterday, when he got on the train the bun was hard and he couldn't eat it. When he went in dressed as a smart businessman who could easily have just bought another burger, they gave him a free burger. When he went in looking dishevelled and hungry, they said they couldn't help him. That's also why you're more likely to give 50p to a middle class woman who doesn't have change for her twenty to buy a train ticket than you are to give 20p to a homeless guy who wants some food.

Likewise, while people will be delighted to see a permitless lemonade stall (complete with backwards S) by the roadside in their neighbourhood manned by some suburban kids who want to go to a waterpark, I doubt they'd be as happy if it was some kids selling gum so they could afford food. And I doubt the latter group would have as much sympathy if they were moved on by the police as these kids have, what with the "Oh no, they can't go to the waterpark, they'll have to go and play on their Xbox instead"

This is why you take an attitude of applying the law to everyone, even people who would be let off if it was up to a vote thanks to being adorable or otherwise viewed kindly by society. Start with the "Oh, but they're just cute kids" and you quickly end up with a two-tier justice system.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow....
wtf.gif

That's kinda pants-on-head, don't you think?

90b193379837-xl.jpg

Although it is good to know that if I ever have to fight the law, I won't actually need to do anything. They're perfectly capable of slipping over and braining themselves on their own truncheons without any help from me.

I fought the law and...the law beat itself up. Doesn't quite fit the rhythm of the music but it's more accurate.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that this is the law, but I myself did this when I was 12. I even had a couple police officers come by and buy a glass. These sort of things are looked past. I got maybe 70 dollars in two days. That isn't alot. When I had my lawn mowing business I was making 25 dollars for 45 minutes of work. Neither were registered businesses, and neither were busted. These sort of things have been attempted on a regular basis since the 60s or probably less. My parents did it, their parents did it and so on. I think this is ridiculous myself, even if it is the law.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The whole "it's the law, he was doing his job" debate was dead and obsolete from the beginning. The officer wasn't justifiably using his power as a law enforcer to bring forth a better America, he was bullying some kids who wanted to go to a water park.

You're damn right they get treated different because they're kids. What exactly do you expect them to do at that age? There isn't a whole hell of a lot some kids can do to earn money.

A little lemonade stand won't put Walmart out of business, and the government wont be making any money off of it. So let them be. There's not a damn thing wrong with some kids taking the initiative to earn some money for themselves. Frankly, it should be encouraged. We wouldn't have so many spoiled, lazy morons if the kids actually trying to DO something for themselves weren't being oppressed so pointlessly.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just let the kid have a lemonade stand.

Like it's gonna hurt crap for someone to sell lemonade, especially a 14 year old, come on use you're common sense.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
BryceOne said:
It would be cool if their waterpark sees all this and just gives the girls tickets.
This would be a heartwarming article to balance out the calloused asshole of a cop who was "just doing his job."

I've heard cops complain about being spread out thin and they don't have enough manpower to do get things done...it's because stupid pigs are shutting down lemonade stands when their dumb asses should be out there stopping real crimes.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
$27 for a children's ticket? Ladies and gentlemen that's the real criminal offence in this tale.
laugh.gif

Why is yard work not look over?

"Sorry,but we have to shut the yard work down. We don't know where or what you going to do with the
yard supplies. We don't know who they belong to. Don't know what you going to do with the money.
You can chop up people and people belongings, but if you pay 3-4 times the amount for permits that are higher than you goal to go to the water park, we will let you keep working."
tpi.gif

Serious tho, barely idk what to say. Just that is a ridiculous amount of money to keep up a lemonade stand.

Densetsu9000 said:
QUOTE(BryceOne @ Jul 16 2011, 01:41 PM) It would be cool if their waterpark sees all this and just gives the girls tickets.
This would be a heartwarming article to balance out the calloused asshole of a cop who was "just doing his job."

I've heard cops complain about being spread out thin and they don't have enough manpower to do get things done...it's because stupid pigs are shutting down lemonade stands when their dumb asses should be out there stopping real crimes.
Yea, real criminals like the ones that charge $27 for a children's ticket.
tpi.gif

So if I read right, they are not getting busted for healthy reasons,but except for not having a permit?

Isn't it something wrong there?

A permit = automatic it's safe?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Like I say, as long as poor kids/teens selling gum and bottled water to feed themselves get the same support as kids who want money for the waterpark, which I very much doubt. Which is why the law should apply to everyone.

shyam513

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's lemonade, for heaven's sake. all this stuff about "health threats", I agree with the woman in the video - do they really have nothing better to do?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the better question is why the fuck a 14 year old would run a lemonade stand. At that age you may be able to get a job or just ask for an allowance. When I was 14 I basically waited until my birthday and Christmas for whatever cash I needed.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on, people, get real.

The 10 year olds were obviously using the lemonade stand as a way to form their business skills and fund a trip to the water park in the process cover for their underground drug trade operation! It's so clear just reading about it.
The police did the right thing and I think they should get medals for doing such a great job crushing those children's futures in showing initiative and becoming independent members of society shutting down a large portion of the city's drug trade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1