256 or 512... what to do? Advice please

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really appreciate that you good folks are still offering your thoughts, i'm super grateful and this seems a super friendly community that's been built up here.

I did already order the 256gb model and have a decent 512gb Sandisk as well..... The Deck has been shipped and is in the Netherlands at the moment, so hopefully by the end of the week or beginning of next week I can join in the fun :)

Reactions: Xzi and sarkwalvein

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got the 256GB model and added a 1TB Micro SD card. It's basically my portable emulation machine. Ahahaha.
I digress. If you're willing to put in the work, getting a lower model ver., upgrading the SSD, and then adding a 512/1TB card will do you wonders.

I was also unsure of what to get because you're investing a bit more than what you usually do with a handheld. I went with the middle option just in case. AHAHA.

Reactions: Xzi and peteruk

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I went with the 256GB model and snagged a 1TB SSD from eBay for $90 to upgrade it with. That was day one of pre-orders though, before we knew the 64GB model would also have an SSD slot, so in hindsight I would've saved myself a few bucks by going that route. Is what it is though, and despite having a total of 1.5TB with a 512GB mSD card, the most Deck play time for me by far has been in Vampire Survivors and Elden Ring, so I could probably make do just fine with a lot less space. :lol:

Reactions: peteruk

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did a similar thing (got a 1TB NVME instead of SD card). If only we knew more about the 64GB model back then. Oh well, my 256GB SSD is getting used in a portable enclosure so nothing lost.

Pete, did your Deck arrive OK? Let us know how you get on with it, there is a bit of a learning curve the first few days.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did a similar thing (got a 1TB NVME instead of SD card). If only we knew more about the 64GB model back then. Oh well, my 256GB SSD is getting used in a portable enclosure so nothing lost.

Pete, did your Deck arrive OK? Let us know how you get on with it, there is a bit of a learning curve the first few days.

Hello mate, yes it actually arrived over a week ago,,, I'll tell you the truth though, I fitted a glass hori screen protector and there's a massive air wedge at the top lol (I'm shit at these things) and I've not even looked at it since last friday.... however! I do intend to have a play with it over the next couple of days... especially as I've started buying a few cheaper steam games lol

I know exactly where to come if (more like when) I need some help, thank you as always :)

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had to go the cheap route as i only had enough for the 64gb (though i plan to swap out the emmc module for a 2tb nvme btw i heard someone on YT physically modded their deck and put in 12X2TB nvme thats dumb cause of them putting some behind the battery; so he had 24TB for steamOS 3he either has a huge ass library or has romsets for emudeck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: