Hacking 3.0.0 Switch sitting on charging screen (not charging?)

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, i have 2 Nintendo switches one of the i use for playing games with 5.0.0 and the other one with 3.0.0 only used it for 2 hours or so back when i bought it then bought the second one and put the 3.0.0 one turned off in the box with about 50% Battery now about 5 monthes later i wanted to use the 3.0.0 switch to try some homebrew thing like retroarch but the switch was dead just said battery empty when pressing the button. I put the switch into the dock and its just saying its charging nothing displaying on the dock and green light on dock not on. its sitting like that now for about 20 minutes. does this have to do something with the battery bug on 3.0.0 because i saw a thread once where somebody had the same phenonmenon where his switch would sit on 2-3% and not turn on.

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, nevermind it turned on a few seconds ago. It just took forever to charge for some reason. Then my question would be whats the best way to store my second switch and how often should i take it and for charging? because i don't know how long it was dead for in the box so can't say how long it lasts completely turned off.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
3.0.0 has a known battery issue, which 3.0.1 fixed (along with patching one of their biggest mistakes that made ROhan possible).

With the release of Nintendo Switch's 3.0.0 update, a new bug was introduced causing some users to experience issues with the system's battery indicator, which Nintendo has now addressed (read: in 3.0.1).
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/01/nintendo-switch-updated-to-fix-battery-charge-meter-bug

The issue manifests itself in a few ways. Either your system will never charge fully, the charging icon is not reflective of the total charge (meaning it looks low when it isn’t) or the icon doesn’t appear at all.
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...ously-convoluted-seven-hour-fix/#5be5c60310fa

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3.0.0 has a known battery issue, which 3.0.1 fixed (along with patching one of their biggest mistakes that made ROhan possible).

With the release of Nintendo Switch's 3.0.0 update, a new bug was introduced causing some users to experience issues with the system's battery indicator, which Nintendo has now addressed (read: in 3.0.1).
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/01/nintendo-switch-updated-to-fix-battery-charge-meter-bug

The issue manifests itself in a few ways. Either your system will never charge fully, the charging icon is not reflective of the total charge (meaning it looks low when it isn’t) or the icon doesn’t appear at all.
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...ously-convoluted-seven-hour-fix/#5be5c60310fa
Thx for the explanation

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to include my experience because it's similar to the op

I bought my number 2 Switch in October with the intention of using it for gaming and put away my 3.0 unit in a draw since then, after reading this I decided to check the one I put away and it was absolutely fine. In fact the battery was at 94% so not much drainage at all since I put it away

Perhaps the bug doesn't affect all 3.0 models, or I've just been very lucky

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just wanted to include my experience because it's similar to the op

I bought my number 2 Switch in October with the intention of using it for gaming and put away my 3.0 unit in a draw since then, after reading this I decided to check the one I put away and it was absolutely fine. In fact the battery was at 94% so not much drainage at all since I put it away

Perhaps the bug doesn't affect all 3.0 models, or I've just been very lucky
i also find it strange that my console had 50% charge in december but now its completely dead 4 months later

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Our stories are almost identical apart from one thing, when I put mine away it was 100% charged and your's was 50%

Can only surmise that it's a bug that affects just a % of batteries

I know it was quite well publicised about the bug, but with the amount of people who are sitting on 3.0 I am sure we would be hearing more people piping up

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i also find it strange that my console had 50% charge in december but now its completely dead 4 months later

Try storing it without the Joy-Con attached. My 3.0.0 Switch went from ~50% to dead after a month of being totally powered down (not sleep) with the Joy-Con attached. Now I am storing it without the Joy-Con attached and it is holding charge. It doesn't make sense, but few things make sense when it comes to Nintendo hardware.

Reactions: Rauliki and peteruk

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe the joycon batteries are weaker and/or dont hold their charge so well. So when you have them attached to the Switch tablet, its constantly leeching the battery life off the tablet to charge itself, and then draining itself at a poor rate as time goes by.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Dude, you're supposed to store it powered off, not in sleep mode. In other words, hold down the power button until you get power options -> power off, because sleep mode drains the battery within a matter of days.

From what I've read, the battery issue on 3.0.0 only occurs if you ignore the low battery warnings and play until it shuts off. Then you'll have to charge it multiple times over a few nights to get it to display 100%. But not if you have it docked. It will continuously be charged. It only happens in portable mode. Don't let it drain completely and you should be fine.

Also, batteries discharge over time. Don't leave them close to a speaker or on top of a subwoofer, because magnets will drain them much faster.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, you're supposed to store it powered off, not in sleep mode. In other words, hold down the power button until you get power options -> power off, because sleep mode drains the battery within a matter of days.

From what I've read, the battery issue on 3.0.0 only occurs if you ignore the low battery warnings and play until it shuts off. Then you'll have to charge it multiple times over a few nights to get it to display 100%. But not if you have it docked. It will continuously be charged. It only happens in portable mode. Don't let it drain completely and you should be fine.

Also, batteries discharge over time. Don't leave them close to a speaker or on top of a subwoofer, because magnets will drain them much faster.

Dude, the OP said that he turned it off. Not that he had it in sleep mode. In my experience, the battery will drain at an inordinate rate when it is fully powered off and the Joy-Con are attached. At least on FW 3.0.0.

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
im storing without the joycons attached because i cant attach them in the original box and im using them on my other switch for the time and yes my switch was completely off i think haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/AqspOhklc4Q