30C3 hacker conference to start on the 27th. Wii U talk happening.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a picture of the vwii 3 core thread from here was in the presentation :P

basically no one cares about the wiiu to bother hacking it, the amount of work involved exceeds the eventual outcome of running homebrew
only ones interested/want it hacked are software pirates

Valfore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got it to work via the RTMP links, When they questioned if it was really worth doing homebrew on closed consoles now......i died alittle inside :'(

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So yeah, presentation is over, they are not interested in the WiiU => fuck (?)

Definitely does suck but maybe their interest will come back. I saw that they showed a picture of one of the threads from GBATemp so maybe in time they'll come back.

Wonder if the Wiikeu is successful that they'll gauge interest as well?

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Very well presented , hats off to sven , marcan and comex . Didnt understand most of what i heard , but was able to follow enough to understand your acheviements , v impressed .. nice tip of the hat to the vwii 3 core gba thread .. congrats fellas.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Definitely does suck but maybe their interest will come back. I saw that they showed a picture of one of the threads from GBATemp so maybe in time they'll come back.

Wonder if the Wiikeu is successful that they'll gauge interest as well?

I doubt that they will gain interest in the WiiU because of the Wiikey U (should it ever be released), because they are against piracy.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically no one cares about the wiiu to bother hacking it, the amount of work involved exceeds the eventual outcome of running homebrew
only ones interested/want it hacked are software pirates

Over 110,000 views in 3 combined threads on the subject. I hardly say there isn't any interest in the Wii U homebrew community.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My stream crashed after the dwarf debugging slide and came back at the slide before the epilogue.

Anyway it looks like I am going to have to up my game a bit as far as learning how operating systems and languages look at low level.

The "Hardening hardware and choosing a #goodBIOS" presentation was worth a watch as well.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know that 95% of the GBAtemp Users are pirates? ;)

That may be so. I know they love their flash carts here, but I am talking about the homebrew threads, including threads from different sites. I'm sure there are plenty interested in piracy, but I know many more are interested in homebrew. They go hand-in-hand, as far as I'm concerned.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Im assuming how googling the name of this conference hasnt brought up answers such as "hackers have hacked the wii-u" means that nothing interesting happened yet? I remember the big celebration when they literally tore sony a new one and i was hoping for an encore with nintendo.. Still time for it tho right? It says its a 3day event so here's hoping they've saved the best till last.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That may be so. I know they love their flash carts here, but I am talking about the homebrew threads, including threads from different sites. I'm sure there are plenty interested in piracy, but I know many more are interested in homebrew. They go hand-in-hand, as far as I'm concerned.
They are not. Almost anyone who wants a system to be hacked will want this for piracy, not homebrew. Of course there are people who only want homebrew (like the hackers themselves in this case) but they are a minority.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are not. Almost anyone who wants a system to be hacked will want this for piracy, not homebrew. Of course there are people who only want homebrew (like the hackers themselves in this case) but they are a minority.

Do you have any official numbers or polls to back this statement up? When I modded my Wii way back when, it was exclusively for homebrew. I'm a collector. I'm not going to lie and say I don't pirate, but that's not my main interest. I've also pirated for specific reasons such as EA Games not releasing Madden 25 on the Wii U or PC, so I acquired it on the PS3. I don't really care what people think about that, I feel justified in my reasons. In fact, I don't understand why people care so much about what others do anyway. Despite piracy, sales in the music and movie industry are up. Piracy isn't the reason software sales are down in the video gaming industry. Piracy also shouldn't be a reason not to release homebrew.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you have any official numbers or polls to back this statement up? When I modded my Wii way back when, it was exclusively for homebrew. I'm a collector. I'm not going to lie and say I don't pirate, but that's not my main interest. I've also pirated for specific reasons such as EA Games not releasing Madden 25 on the Wii U or PC, so I acquired it on the PS3. I don't really care what people think about that, I feel justified in my reasons. In fact, I don't understand why people care so much about what others do anyway. Despite piracy, sales in the music and movie industry are up. Piracy isn't the reason software sales are down in the video gaming industry. Piracy also shouldn't be a reason not to release homebrew.
At one point, there was a rather good DS flashcart (the iPlayer IIRC) that only supported homebrew and no ROMs. It completely died because no one gave a shit.

Reactions: NEP and Bobbybangin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +2
    Emperor Palpetine reveals that he is trans Jewish pro abortion and drives a Prius!
    Unlimited Power!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hate fuels your cybertruck
    Yeah this Eero router is way better than the one my ISP gave me, still might need to buy one but until then this one is better lol
    The one Comcast provided is apparently powered by a comadore 64 chip lol
    What's weird is that they both have about the same speed in bandwidth but the Comcast one feels laggy like click something and it takes a second to load, the Eero one is just instant lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    why do i see some little songs at @shaunj66 's profile page?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sonics*
  • fluff663 @ fluff663:
    hello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Maybe he likes sonic
  • rvtr @ rvtr:
    Hey all.
  • rvtr @ rvtr:
    Hi.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @rvtr, how r u
  • rvtr @ rvtr:
    Pretty good, thanks. Just went biking for about 4 hours. How are you?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @rvtr, I was coughing a lot but i got better. and I will most likely go to the movies and a restaurant on my birthday.
  • rvtr @ rvtr:
    Nice.
  • rvtr @ rvtr:
    What movie?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @rvtr, Most probably garfield
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday,
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Happy birthday,