Hardware 3DS Features

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
monkat said:
trumpet-205 said:
Do you realize how expensive and un-necessary SDXC is? We don't need it right now.

It sure makes pirating easier.
hate2.gif
What the, I don't even...

How is more capacity going to make it easier? If you mean you can store more games then yes, it's better, but not easier.

But the games will have to be huge if you needed more than 32GB. This is Nintendo we're talking about, I doubt games are going to be over 1GB each.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Deathmore said:
Anyway this is from go nintendo:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=131993
That link is like listening to your cousin talking about what his best friend's friend told him - and probably as vague as that too.

So these are my guesses as to what we don't know and they will probably announce:

Rumble built in
Wouldn't Nintendo have announced this already?

New Online unveiled (No FCS!!!)

Transfer old FC data
(I've done this quite some time, I accidently take my friends DS and try go online but it issues me a new friend code. Now what Im saying have a feature like this in 3DS which will allow you to transfer the FC on your old DS and not have to create a brand new FC. You do know that existing DS games will still hav FC)
To this day I haven't used this so I am completely ignorant.

Minimum 4GB internal storage
Possible but I'd still class it as 'not a chance'

Boot off the SD card
Not a chance but more importantly 'why?'

Support SDXC (32GB to 2TB)

Support Wireless N
Slight chance but considering Nintendo's penchant for older, refined tech (0.3 megapixel cam, for example), I doubt it. If Wireless N chips consume more power or cost more (they do) Nintendo would very much more than likely ignore it. Considering it was standardised relatively recently I'd expect Nintendo to support it in 2022.

Finally play MP3 and allows for MP4 usage.
Very possible.

Charger Port is now a mini B/ Micro USB connector or……
Not a chance unless they want to change the hardware we've seen. Not a chance.

….. Charging Dock is also a USB bridge
If there is a silly dock it will be optional and I doubt it will have USB. It's pretty clear to me Nintendo will not offer USB of any type.

Unviel the new OS, similar to the old 360 dashboard (XMB and DSi thing is old fashioned)
I would rank this as 'not a chance'. Nintendo is the king of awkward interfaces.

Camera upgraded to 2 MP and the front facing shoots HD video (HD video a little too far)
Nintendo have discussed specs here. Will not change.

Features 3DS VOIP and Video chat services (Why video chat? Well Gamefreak were the first to have the dev kit)
VOIP with drawing and/or video would be a KILLER app between DSs that would get single-household DS purchase to become double and triple DS purchases. I mentioned this a few weeks back. But yet I am doubtful Nintendo would do something this cool to add buzz and sales. I think they will rely on 3D and the 3D cams alone for that (and really that is enough to generate good sales for them from 'social' DS users).

Decent Web Browser
Praise be to god! Nintendo's DSi browser sucks (or perhaps more specifically - because I'm a fan of Opera - the limited resources it runs under sucks). Probably the most important area they need to focus on in today's connected world. We can only hope they get a clue.

Masive Multiplayer support, no longer just 4 player games, so now we can play mario kart with 12 players.

IR Port will work in the same way as Pokemon Black and White, quick game setup no more searching for people, so wireless maybe used less than it is now.
No idea, never used this.

What do you think? why isn't it viable and give your suggestions and we could compile it into one post

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
foob said:
Deathmore said:
Anyway this is from go nintendo:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=131993
That link is like listening to your cousin talking about what his best friend's friend told him - and probably as vague as that too.

So these are my guesses as to what we don't know and they will probably announce:

Rumble built in
Wouldn't Nintendo have announced this already?

New Online unveiled (No FCS!!!)

Transfer old FC data
(I've done this quite some time, I accidently take my friends DS and try go online but it issues me a new friend code. Now what Im saying have a feature like this in 3DS which will allow you to transfer the FC on your old DS and not have to create a brand new FC. You do know that existing DS games will still hav FC)
To this day I haven't used this so I am completely ignorant.

Minimum 4GB internal storage
Possible but I'd still class it as 'not a chance'

Boot off the SD card

Support SDXC (32GB to 2TB)

Support Wireless N
Slight chance but considering Nintendo's penchant for older, refined tech (0.3 megapixel cam, for example), I doubt it. If Wireless N chips consume more power or cost more (they do) Nintendo would very much more than likely ignore it. Considering it was standardised relatively recently I'd expect Nintendo to support it in 2022.

Finally play MP3 and allows for MP4 usage.
Very possible.

Charger Port is now a mini B/ Micro USB connector or……
Not a chance unless they want to change the hardware we've seen. Not a chance.

….. Charging Dock is also a USB bridge
If there is a silly dock it will be optional and I doubt it will have USB. It's pretty clear to me Nintendo will not offer USB of any type.

Unviel the new OS, similar to the old 360 dashboard (XMB and DSi thing is old fashioned)
I would rank this as 'not a chance'. Nintendo is the king of awkward interfaces.

Camera upgraded to 2 MP and the front facing shoots HD video (HD video a little too far)
Nintendo have discussed specs here. Will not change.

Features 3DS VOIP and Video chat services (Why video chat? Well Gamefreak were the first to have the dev kit)
VOIP with drawing and/or video would be a KILLER app between DSs that would get single-household DS purchase to become double and triple DS purchases. I mentioned this a few weeks back. But yet I am doubtful Nintendo would do something this cool to add buzz and sales. I think they will rely on 3D and the 3D cams alone for that (and really that is enough to generate good sales for them from 'social' DS users).

Decent Web Browser
Praise be to god! Nintendo's DSi browser sucks (or perhaps more specifically - because I'm a fan of Opera - the limited resources it runs under sucks). Probably the most important area they need to focus on in today's connected world. We can only hope they get a clue.

Masive Multiplayer support, no longer just 4 player games, so now we can play mario kart with 12 players.

IR Port will work in the same way as Pokemon Black and White, quick game setup no more searching for people, so wireless maybe used less than it is now.
No idea, never used this.

What do you think? why isn't it viable and give your suggestions and we could compile it into one post
If you hate Nintendo so much, why bother writting or even being a member on this site? No Nintendo is no king of akward interfaces. Wii's interface rocked. And sorry but 3DS is gonna rock too.. And its sales are gonna rock too.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Gullwing said:
If you hate Nintendo so much, why bother writting or even being a member on this site? No Nintendo is no king of akward interfaces. Wii's interface rocked. And sorry but 3DS is gonna rock too.. And its sales are gonna rock too.

Don't have a Wii, so perhaps you are right.
Nintendo's DS and DSi stuff has always come across as an odd interface to me. I can mention specifics if you want me to. I consider my comments realistic rather than hate-filled. I like Nintendo for many reasons, but using cutting-edge technology and interface design is not their strong point, in my opinion. 3D being the exception and main selling point here. Coupled with traditionally heavy cost-cutting in their hardware, lots of things that we'd like to see won't necessarily happen because of their focus on low-tech.

Plus a lot of those things have already been set in stone. So I don't see the hate. Unless you want to get specific about which is hate and what might be possible to see when the 3DS is released, I'll take that as a hollow insult...

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Gullwing said:

Spoken like a true fanboy. Yeah, Nintendo is a king of interfaces, like forcing users to reboot DSLite in order to change the level of backlighting - example of a truly user-friendly design.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Gullwing said:
And sorry but 3DS is gonna rock too.. And its sales are gonna rock too.

I think it will be a great seller too. Backward compatibility with DS will really help there (even though the screens would have to have black borders on the new higher-resolution screens).

The 3D feature alone will be the main selling point and they should be proud that they will be the first company that will truly be giving the masses 3D, in a portable no less. For the overwhelming majority I believe this will be their real step into 3D displays (for the first time).

When we discussed PRICE in weeks / months prior here I mentioned that it will likely be priced high on release primarily because of the buzz of 3D. Nintendo have no competitors doing it in a portable and they will sell that feature like no tomorrow. No phone or any other portable device has what they have. It will generate HUGE buzz from the curious who wouldn't even necessarily be in the market for a games machine.

But as far as specs go, my comments stand and I challenge you to come back after release and see how much 'hate' is reality.

Deathmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
pachura said:
Gullwing said:

Spoken like a true fanboy. Yeah, Nintendo is a king of interfaces, like forcing users to reboot DSLite in order to change the level of backlighting - example of a truly user-friendly design.
I think the wii just sucks. The games don't but personally the console just sucks.

Anyway, nintendo didn't force anyone to but a DS lite. I could just say Microsoft forced users to buy the Xbox S and that Sony forced people to buy the PSOne, PS2 Slim and the PS3 Slim. The reason why the released the DS lite was because:

1. It's cheaper to make
2. It's more reliable
3. It's overall a better made product than the original DS, unlike the DSi.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
Deathmore said:
3. It's overall a better made product than the original DS, unlike the DSi.
Better made as in build quality or what? DSi build quality is much better than Lite. Lite are quite fragile.
ikr? DSi only lack bad L/R buttons. They need to be like the phat one.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Deathmore said:
Anyway, nintendo didn't force anyone to but a DS lite. I could just say Microsoft forced users to buy the Xbox S and that Sony forced people to buy the PSOne, PS2 Slim and the PS3 Slim. The reason why the released the DS lite was because:
You clearly did not understand. To support foob's argument that Nintendo does not always design great interfaces, I've provided an example of a bad user interface design: forcing DSLite OWNERS to reboot their console when they want to change the backlight level. This is really stupid, especially that homebrew running on the same hardware can do this without rebooting (e.g. MoonShell). Another example of user unfriendliness: friendcodes. I could go on...

foobNintendo have no competitors doing it in a portable and they will sell that feature like no tomorrow. No phone or any other portable device has what they have.
I remember there was a photo camera released around one year ago which was able to take 3D photos. It had 2 lenses and a 3D screen, similar to the one in 3DS.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
STFU Gullwing. I hate the Wii's interface. Ninty truely is the king on that front. Foob is being realistic. You're being a fanboy. He's not saying "haha 3ds will suxorz psp 4dawin." He's giving realistic expectations of Nintendo and their system, and I fully agree with him. That is not to say that the 3DS will not be good. It's just that you can expect all that unneccecary crap in a handheld that will just add cost. Cost comes out of Nintendo's own coffers.

@ShatteredScreens It may have the power inside to run HD movies. Say, if it were possible to do TV out, it might be able to display at a high resolution on the TV. Maybe. But it can't play in anything more than its own resolution (which is far from HD) on the screen its self. HD is very far from being viable in a handheld like this.

Edit: I didn't see page 4 here.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
forcing DSLite OWNERS to reboot their console when they want to change the backlight level. This is really stupid, especially that homebrew running on the same hardware can do this without rebooting (e.g. MoonShell).

It is attached to the firmware, just like the time, birthday, etc. It's one thing to read it, but another to write it. With the firmware, you can't change one aspect of it. You have to rewrite the entire structure (256KB I believe) to generate a valid CRC, and there are two backups of them, in case one ends up with a write-error. The reason why homebrewers have done it is because they are directly accessing the hardware through self-made means, whereas developers are using SDKs, which more than likely doesn't contain write access to the firmware.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
And that excuses it? Nintendo designed it that way. And somehow thought it was good enough to keep for the lite.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
4 years ago, no one really cared. It wasn't some important feature that needed focusing on, so they kept the similarity of how it worked from the DS-to-DS Lite transition, restricting it into the firmware.

Now, while it was limited on the DS/L, the DSi changed that (and many other things with upgraded hardware and NAND), by allowing backlight adjustment at any time by holding down the SELECT button, and toggling the volume switch.

No sense in complaining about old technology, when the newer stuff seems to resolve some of the concerns.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, tbh i might extend it to 2 or 3 weeks