Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Early days of 2014 is subjective. It can be January, February.. all the way up until maybe May.

Damn it'd suck to wait that long.

Maybe they hit a last minute bug that is proving hard to solve and that's why they didn't release around Xmas 2013

They're probably working on fixing the feature where it bricks people's consoles.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They're probably working on fixing the feature where it bricks people's consoles.
I do hope they decided to go back through and remove all the bricking code, yeah. That might be the reason for the wait.

At the same time, 2.0 final seems like a landmark release for Gateway. I'm not sure they're going to be willing to let all the clones copy it with zero repercussion. So they might actually be taking this time to add more checks and security for Gateway users, while leaving the possibility of bricking in if all of that is removed in order to run their launcher on other hardware. Impossible to know until it's released.

Reactions: Huntereb

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Impossible to know until it's released.

People anticipating its release to be soon need to not, because of this. Remember when they said it was gonna come out before Christmas? Besides, it'll be a much better surprise when you don't expect it!

The only way I would be willing to use my Gateway when this update comes out is if the bricking code is removed, otherwise screw it, I'll wait on the clones (and hope to god they don't include it either! :rofl:).

pedrobarca

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Seems gateway and therefore 3DS piracy as a whole will encounter a serious problem once games require 7.0.0:

https://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/423877433570648064

You can also read the following 3DBrew site. The important part is "FIRM and whitelist":

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/7.0.0-13

It seems that nintendo found a way to stop piracy on the 3DS. The upcoming games will need a key in order to be playable. This key will be generated BEFORE Native_Firm is booted. Since this key is not contained in 4.5.0 it can't be generated and since the Native_Firm is not booted again when entering emuNAND, it neither can be generated by emuNAND.

As far as I know there are only two ways to break this:

Finding an exploit for 7.0.0 or
Getting a bootrom dump through chip decapping

This might stop 3DS piracy for quite some time...

Reactions: Arras

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems gateway and therefore 3DS piracy as a whole will encounter a serious problem once games require 7.0.0:

https://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/423877433570648064

You can also read the following 3DBrew site. The important part is "FIRM and whitelist":

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/7.0.0-13

It seems that nintendo found a way to stop piracy on the 3DS. The upcoming games will need a key in order to be playable. This key will be generated BEFORE Native_Firm is booted. Since this key is not contained in 4.5.0 it can't be generated and since the Native_Firm is not booted again when entering emuNAND, it neither can be generated by emuNAND.

This might stop 3DS piracy for quite some time...

Well, fuck.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I lack the in-depth knowledge here, but the NCCH sections/containers are essentially filled with the game data, and therefore reside on the game cartridges, right? This also means that the key generated is not necessarily tied to the console; and even if it is, you should be able to decrypt the game data using a different key as well. You just need to have a key first.. I may be wrong, too~

sabykos

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
According to profi200 the updated US Youtube App is the first App, which requires the new key and indeed it does not work in emuNAND.

Reactions: Huntereb

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
According to profi200 the updated US Youtube App is the first App, which requires the new key and indeed it does not work in emuNAND.

Well, that much was obvious already; can't work if the key's missing. Retrieving said key should be a very possible feat, however.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, that much was obvious already; can't work if the key's missing. Retrieving said key should be a very possible feat, however.

not necessarily, as it's generation is tied to the savegame key for 6.x+ games.

btw: am i the only one thinking this youtube app update was another "look what we can do, pirate scum!" troll like IOS37?

MichiS97

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

btw: am i the only one thinking this youtube app update was another "look what we can do, pirate scum!" troll like IOS37?

No you are not the only one :D
I expect this to be circumvented pretty fast though ^^

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

And where did you get that information? If game data is in fact encrypted using that key, then it has to be static, or interchangeable.

sabykos

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
By the way:

unbenannterm8o0gwz9.png

EDIT: There's also one guy at maxconsole, who can confirm this:

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...n-2-0-finally-comes-out?p=1670314#post1670314

And one guy who got a different mail:

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...n-2-0-finally-comes-out?p=1670318#post1670318

We will see if it's true. Time will tell...

Reactions: MichiS97

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Would that just not delay the inevitable? If an exploit for 7.X.X was found, would the same just not happen again? Roll out 8.X, change encryption key and then back in same position?

Now for my dumb question.

If it's just sections that are encrypted? Is it not possible to dump the decrypted version on a 7.X 3ds from memory or something? You know similar to how it was on ps3/psp (decrypt later version eboot, use decrypted one to play on lower firmware).

MichiS97

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
We will see if it's true. Time will tell...

Let's hope their shit isn't fucked this time, as I'd love to start actually supporting Gateway instead of having to cringe at every action they take.

Also, let's see if this anouncement is really true, unlike a few of the previous one's we've received.

sabykos

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually I don't think they were lying to me. I'm sure they will release something in the next 24-48 hours, but the question is what. Might just be another beta with Pokemon/ACNL support, but without Multirom. Also, if you take a closer look at the news, they never fully confirmed that all the features listed in the new years news will be included in 2.0:

[...] 2014 will be a great year for us with a lot of things to come! [...]
This is what our users will soon be able to enjoy on their Gateway system:

- Integrated menu system
- Emu-Nand with up to date compatibility
- Back up your own game cartridges
- Nand based titles compatibility
- Fat32 based drag & drop Multi-Rom
- New real time save system

Nand based titles compatibility and Multirom will be 2.0, sure. But they've never confirmed the rest. The other features might just be their goal for other updates in 2014.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3