3DS HDMI dead?

PopPunkGameTime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I as well as many others have been wanting a simple solution for outputting the 3DS signal to a TV for years. The current mods out there require connection to a PC with dedicated software which really limits the ease of use. I heard a few years ago that a couple people were working or considering working on such a project but there's been no word or updates on these for quite some time. Have these projects been canceled or has anyone heard of a new project currently in the works? I heard Gamebox had plans but it seems to have fallen through after the passing of one of the founders (Rest in Peace). Hoping something comes around since the 3DS has such a great library that deserves to be shown on the big screen!

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I as well as many others have been wanting a simple solution for outputting the 3DS signal to a TV for years. The current mods out there require connection to a PC with dedicated software which really limits the ease of use. I heard a few years ago that a couple people were working or considering working on such a project but there's been no word or updates on these for quite some time. Have these projects been canceled or has anyone heard of a new project currently in the works? I heard Gamebox had plans but it seems to have fallen through after the passing of one of the founders (Rest in Peace). Hoping something comes around since the 3DS has such a great library that deserves to be shown on the big screen!
I've never heard of that but you can use Citra on PC out to a big screen. https://github.com/citra-emu/citra

PopPunkGameTime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of that but you can use Citra on PC out to a big screen. https://github.com/citra-emu/citra
Yeah I'm aware of Citra but that starts the whole "Citra vs. Original Hardware" discussion haha. I think a lot of original hardware enthusiasts are desperate for a simple video output solution since DS/3DS is one of the very few handhelds that still does not have a video output solution despite DS and 3DS being extremely popular both in it's history and today.

Reactions: nWo and BigOnYa

PopPunkGameTime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS Lite has that composite-out thing.
It sure does, but the composite video is rather lack luster. Most of the main handhelds have SOME way of getting a sharp image from it. Whether it's the Super Gameboy/Gamecube GBA adapter stuff or the consolizer solutions. What I'm hoping for soon is a proper consolizer for the DS and 3DS really. I wish I could enjoy the incredible library from the comfort of my couch on my TV

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3DS did actually have a working solution at one point via Katsukity. I think they used a RasPi with something special on top to interact with their own flashcards and just put it out via HDMI. Obviously with Katsu now dead that project has gone down too.

Your best option at this point is to get one of the mods that are still available and getting a cheap Mini PC setup with the capture software booting at launch. Something like that would be reasonably seamless if you set it up well enough.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS did actually have a working solution at one point via Katsukity. I think they used a RasPi with something special on top to interact with their own flashcards and just put it out via HDMI. Obviously with Katsu now dead that project has gone down too.

Your best option at this point is to get one of the mods that are still available and getting a cheap Mini PC setup with the capture software booting at launch. Something like that would be reasonably seamless if you set it up well enough.
Katsukity required their own special software and unsigned buggy drivers(if you mess up installing them the first time good luck ever getting them to work without restoring a backup or new OS)

even Loopy always needed a pc and his own software which is unfortunate.

You can buy both kits still from loops site and katsukitties supplier(the name escapes me atm) but they are NOT cheap or easy to install. Especially the Katsukity ones

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Katsukity required their own special software and unsigned buggy drivers(if you mess up installing them the first time good luck ever getting them to work without restoring a backup or new OS)

even Loopy always needed a pc and his own software which is unfortunate.

You can buy both kits still from loops site and katsukitties supplier(the name escapes me atm) but they are NOT cheap or easy to install. Especially the Katsukity ones
Optimize

https://optimize.ath.cx/shop_oversea/shop_oversea.html

Reactions: TheStonedModder

lemonmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This still exists actually and anyone can do it with most Raspberry Pis (Raspberry Pi 2B+ to 4B according to the official website for the software, I would believe 5 models would work fine but YMMV) and a GPIO board with buttons.
You can buy a (overpriced) pre-made box of it or just get a look at what Merki's GPIO board looks like here.
Only works with New 3DS/2DS models using Katsukity's 2nd generation capture card (according to Merki, I had no idea there was even a 1st and 2nd generation of the capture card)

Software for the Raspberry Pi
Readme has to be translated, you can just throw it into Google Translate or parts of it into DeepL.

Info/FAQ on the (TV-Kit) software written by Merki

You can watch about the (TV-Kit) software here

For OP @PopPunkGameTime or anyone else who would want to make their own "TV-Kit",
Your best chance at being able to actually use it is only if you

• have a New 3DS/2DS with one these "2nd gen" Katsu boards already
  • or buy one of the Katsu boards from here. (Optimize is the official manufacture for Katsukity's boards) and do a self-install if you have the micro-soldering skills and knowledge. They are only selling New 3DS XL kits at the time of writing this
  • or buy a New 2DS XL from Merki or contact them (scroll down to find contact info and form, they also have a Discord) see if they are willing to do a install for one of the boards
  • or find a pre-installed or installer/seller on Twitter, eBay and possibly Etsy (eBay and Etsy will most likely be insanely expensive for installs and pre-installed models. Etsy has a lot of "wireless capture card" install listings that are just custom firmware mods)
  • or if you can't find anyone currently installing Katsukity (not Loopy!) capture boards, find a experienced and trustworthy modder who's done work on Switch modchips on here or other social media platforms (r/SwitchPi****s has a lot of them on there) and risk it all if they are willing to take a stab at it by sharing these instructions with them (These boards are NOT, at ALL, easy to install whatsoever. You need someone who who is experienced in microsoldering and shell cutting, ModvilleUSA called the New 3DS XL kit the hardest mod kit he's ever installed)

Current installers I could find at the time of writing this:
  • DelfinoCustoms is more then likely your best bet. Their send-in services appear to be in backorder but they do in-fact use Katsukity boards. They are located overseas but their website will show USD prices and provide shipping information for send-in services.
  • RubyOtakuMods located in the EU (apparently take international orders from a Reddit comment I found), but they seem to be filled up on orders at the time of writing this. No idea if they do Katsu boards, might only be for Loopy boards.
  • 3DSCaptureZ is located in France, no idea if they do overseas commissions, but they are currently looking to switch to batches of installations because of some issues their having with installs and having to reimburse customers. Maybe take a look at them in the future.
  • ModsvilleUSA might be willing to install it but as I showed in the video I linked I would assume he's likely going to want a real pretty penny or just flat out not be willing.

If anyone else know any other modders feel free to reply to me with them, especially if they are in the US.

Last edited by lemonmaster,

flanter21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NTR-HR, although still suffering from the JPEG artefacts like og NTR, can get 60fps performance quite easily and have pretty low latency, especially for a wireless and free solution. It also irons out a lot of the bugs that the og NTR had and the dev is still actively working on it. Does need a n3ds tho.

PopPunkGameTime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This still exists actually and anyone can do it with most Raspberry Pis (Raspberry Pi 2B+ to 4B according to the official website for the software, I would believe 5 models would work fine but YMMV) and a GPIO board with buttons.
You can buy a (overpriced) pre-made box of it or just get a look at what Merki's GPIO board looks like here.
Only works with New 3DS models using Katsukity's 2nd generation capture card (according to Merki, I had no idea there was even a 1st and 2nd generation of the capture card)

Software for the Raspberry Pi
Readme has to be translated, you can just throw it into Google Translate or parts of it into DeepL.

Info/FAQ on the (TV-Kit) software written by Merki

You can watch about the (TV-Kit) software here

For OP @PopPunkGameTime or anyone else who would want to make their own "TV-Kit",
Your best chance at being able to actually use it is only if you

• have a New 3DS/2DS with one these "2nd gen" Katsu boards already
  • or buy one of the Katsu boards from here. (Optimize is the official manufacture for Katsukity's boards) and do a self-install if you have the micro-soldering skills and knowledge. They are only selling New 3DS XL kits at the time of writing this
  • or buy a New 2DS XL from Merki or contact them (scroll down to find contact info and form, they also have a Discord) see if they are willing to do a install for one of the boards
  • or find a pre-installed or installer/seller on Twitter, eBay and possibly Etsy (eBay and Etsy will most likely be insanely expensive for installs and pre-installed models. Etsy has a lot of "wireless capture card" install listings that are just custom firmware mods)
  • or if you can't find anyone currently installing Katsukity (not Loopy!) capture boards, find a experienced and trustworthy modder who's done work on Switch modchips on here or other social media platforms (r/SwitchPi****s has a lot of them on there) and risk it all if they are willing to take a stab at it and share these instructions with them (These boards are NOT, at ALL, easy to install whatsoever. You need someone who who is experienced in microsoldering and shell cutting, ModvilleUSA called the New 3DS XL kit the hardest mod kit he's ever installed)

Current installers I could find at the time of writing this:
  • DelfinoCustoms is more then likely your best bet. Their send-in services appear to be in backorder but they do in-fact use Katsukity boards. They are located overseas but their website will show USD prices and provide shipping information for send-in services.
  • RubyOtakuMods located in the EU (apparently take international orders from a Reddit comment I found), but they seem to be filled up on orders at the time of writing this. No idea if they do Katsu boards, might only be for Loopy boards.
  • 3DSCaptureZ is located in France, no idea if they do overseas commissions, but they are currently looking to switch to batches of installations because of some issues their having with installs and having to reimburse customers. Maybe take a look at them in the future.
  • ModsvilleUSA might be willing to install it but as I showed in the video I linked I would assume he's likely going to want a real pretty penny or just flat out not be willing.

If anyone else know any other modders feel free to reply to me with them, especially if they are in the US.
Wow, thanks for the info! I have seen the Katsukitty TV-Kit before. It's still not quite the simple "Consolizer"-like solution I've been hoping for, but it definitely seems like the best option out there at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.