3ds Junky in Los Angeles

Sheld9n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually been reading the forums on this site for a while now, ever since I discovered CFW for my New3DSXL. I can't get enough of it, it is so amazing how much better my 3ds experience is now and I'm blown away by the amount of stuff you can do with a hacked machine. I was so inspired that I hacked my Wii and now can play my beloved gamecube games.

Any ways, I just figured it was time to register for this forum since I'm here a lot anyhow.

Sheld9n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's Sheldon, but I use a 9 instead to make it easier when creating user names for forums, etc.
It was just something I started doing years ago and it stuck.
Sheld9n is better than say Sheldon15 or Sheldon45.

and I've been thinking a lot about how much I need a Switch, but for the moment I'm enjoying all the emulators and Old Skool games I haven't played in years like Super Mario Bros 2 for the NES and I'm replaying my way through every Tony Hawk game.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How worth it was it to install CFW on your 3DS? I'm looking into it but I'm scared of any complications haha
Just follow the guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/ and don't omit any steps (like the testing the SD and creating a NAND backup). Nothing bad should happen. The CFW installation on 3DS is as safe as softmodding can get.

If you have any questions, problems or whatever: Post them into 3DS NOOB PARADISE. You will get answers this way faster than in the introduction forum.

Good luck and have fun!

Lionbro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... and I'm replaying my way through every Tony Hawk game.
Glad I'm not the only one with major nostalgia for those. My brother and I used to make crazy-dangerous obstacle courses in THPS2 for the PS1's skate park builder, trying to make something neither of us could navigate without dying. Top-tier taste, my man.

How worth it was it to install CFW on your 3DS?
I'll second what KleinesSinchen said and add my $0.02: it's very worth it. The guide is fantastic, the process is not complicated, and I've never been so amused to bust out DOOM (it seems almost dirty to play it on Nintendo hardware). Just back up anything important in case you make mistakes.

Jack_27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Glad I'm not the only one with major nostalgia for those. My brother and I used to make crazy-dangerous obstacle courses in THPS2 for the PS1's skate park builder, trying to make something neither of us could navigate without dying. Top-tier taste, my man.

I'll second what KleinesSinchen said and add my $0.02: it's very worth it. The guide is fantastic, the process is not complicated, and I've never been so amused to bust out DOOM (it seems almost dirty to play it on Nintendo hardware). Just back up anything important in case you make mistakes.
Would I need to update my 3DS to any particular firmware beforehand? My 3DS is currently running ver 3.0.0-6E

Reactions: Alexander1970

Lionbro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I need to update my 3DS to any particular firmware beforehand? My 3DS is currently running ver 3.0.0-6E

I don't think so-- the 3DS Hacks Guide (Google it, since I can't post links yet) has methods for installing CFW over any legit firmware version. Just find something compatible with your current setup. It looks like "Installing boot9strap (Soundhax)" is what you want if you don't own a flashcart. Don't be afraid to pay the good folks over in the 3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares a visit if you have trouble.

Jack_27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think so-- the 3DS Hacks Guide (Google it, since I can't post links yet) has methods for installing CFW over any legit firmware version. Just find something compatible with your current setup. It looks like "Installing boot9strap (Soundhax)" is what you want if you don't own a flashcart. Don't be afraid to pay the good folks over in the 3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares a visit if you have trouble.
Damn I do have a flashcart but I bricked it yesterday when trying to run YSMenu. Guess it didn't like running an alternate kernel.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Sheld9n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm up to Tony Hawk 4 and I've opened up the Chicago Level. Matt Hoffman's pro score challenge is get 900,000 points, you get 2 minutes on the timer. I'm not even coming close. I don't think it can be done, but I'm having fun trying.

I wanted to thank you for mentioning the skate park builder, for whatever reason I never have messed around with it other than to load a premade park or two, which never held my interest for long. Now though I have been making my own crazy parks and having a blast playing those. In fact I spend more time with the editor than trying to knock out the goals and finish the game.

Last edited by Sheld9n,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Couch casting horror, lol