• Views 4,521,118
  • Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

blanky101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, sorry if this question has been asked before.

I recently bought a R4i Gold 3ds Plus from nds-card. After reformatting and installing the necessary files, I have had issues getting the cart to load. Most of the time, I get a black screen with the message "An error has occured. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off."

I tried reinstalling and reformatting multiple times on different sd cards. I tried formatting the sd cards both with the usb-sd converter and directly. I have also tried using other 3ds systems. Interestingly, the flashcart works ~10% of the time on any of my available consoles. When the cart loads, I can play DS games without issue but if I exit back to the home screen and try to load the cart again, I get brought back to the "An error has occured" message even though I haven't fiddled with the flashcart between sessions.

For reference I am using a 3DS XL on 11.8.0-41U without any CFW. Is there anything I can do to fix this inconsistency or did I get a defective card?

Orph3o-89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Sorry at bother you or if my question is stupid, but is it possible to convert a .sav save to a .bin save?

I would actually like to use a save editor for the game Story of Seasons but it only works with a .bin save...

Thank you by advance for your answer and sorry for my bad english!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is on 11.4 right now. Is 11.9 the latest version aka can I just update it via the menu to then use Seedminer?
Yes.

Second I still got the stuff that was on my old systems SD card. Is there any way to restore the save files to the new system?
The contents of the SD card are encrypted. In order to decrypt it, you will need your moveable.sed , which you may have generated when you hacked your old system. (If you were using a recent version of GodMode9, you can also extract moveable.bin from essential.exefs or from a NAND backup.) You can also generate your moveable.sed if you can access another 3DS that has your old system's Friend code in its Friend list.

Once you get your moveable.sed, you can use fuse-3ds and 3ds-save-tool to extract your save data. Alternatively, you might be able to copy the old moveable.sed to your new system's NAND and use your old SD card directly.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Interestingly, the flashcart works ~10% of the time on any of my available consoles. When the cart loads, I can play DS games without issue but if I exit back to the home screen and try to load the cart again, I get brought back to the "An error has occured" message even though I haven't fiddled with the flashcart between sessions.

For reference I am using a 3DS XL on 11.8.0-41U without any CFW. Is there anything I can do to fix this inconsistency or did I get a defective card?
Does the card show up as a fake DS game on the 3DS Home menu, or does it not show up at all? Maybe the contacts are dirty?

I would actually like to use a save editor for the game Story of Seasons but it only works with a .bin save...
You mean this one? You need to dump your save using a save game utility. That thread is very old; currently JKSM and Checkpoint are the recommended programs. If you don't want to install CFW for some reason, you can use JKSM directly from Steelhax.

If you are trying to copy the .sav file directly off your SD card, then that isn't going to work – the .sav file is encrypted, and even if you could decrypt it and unpack it, there is currently no way to re-pack it and use it on a 3DS again without using a save game utility on the 3DS.

Orph3o-89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes.

The contents of the SD card are encrypted. In order to decrypt it, you will need your moveable.sed , which you may have generated when you hacked your old system. (If you were using a recent version of GodMode9, you can also extract moveable.bin from essential.exefs or from a NAND backup.) You can also generate your moveable.sed if you can access another 3DS that has your old system's Friend code in its Friend list.

Once you get your moveable.sed, you can use fuse-3ds and 3ds-save-tool to extract your save data. Alternatively, you might be able to copy the old moveable.sed to your new system's NAND and use your old SD card directly.

Does the card show up as a fake DS game on the 3DS Home menu, or does it not show up at all? Maybe the contacts are dirty?

You need to dump your save using a save game utility. That thread is very old; currently JKSM and Checkpoint are the recommended programs. If you don't want to install CFW for some reason, you can use JKSM directly from Steelhax.

If you are trying to copy the .sav file directly off your SD card, then that isn't going to work – the .sav file is encrypted, and even if you could decrypt it and unpack it, there is currently no way to re-pack it and use it on a 3DS again without using a save game utility on the 3DS.

Actually, it is for the EU version of the Editor that I would like to convert my save.

It's a save that comes from my Sky3DS+, but if I understand what you're saying, it doesn't matter where it comes: it's not possible to convert .sav to .bin.

blanky101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the card does show up as a fake DS game (the Konami Digital Entertainment thing or something like that). The card shows up really inconsistently on my 3ds home menu. Sometimes it's there, sometimes I have to take the cart out and put it back in, and sometimes I just power off/on my 3ds and it shows up again or disappears.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a save that comes from my Sky3DS+, but if I understand what you're saying, it doesn't matter where it comes: it's not possible to convert .sav to .bin.
That's not what I was saying.

Why don't you just use JKSM to extract the save from your Sky3DS?

Yeah, the card does show up as a fake DS game (the Konami Digital Entertainment thing or something like that). The card shows up really inconsistently on my 3ds home menu. Sometimes it's there, sometimes I have to take the cart out and put it back in, and sometimes I just power off/on my 3ds and it shows up again or disappears.
Have you opened up the cart in the past to move the switch inside? Maybe it isn't closed securely.

blanky101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My flashcart was having issues loading before I had ever opened up the cart. I opened it up once to double check that the switch was on DS mode. I checked again and the switch seems to be firmly secured in the right position.

CharHack

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello i have a great idea for the freeshop 2.

so we need an external database like cia3ds or other site of its kind and connect it online with the apk and so people pouron new download applications from the ds for free

tell me if it would be possible

and for misspelling I am French so I am obliged to use a translator.

comokepa

Trophies
XP
Country
How do I play out-of-region game cartridges? I hacked my new 3DS following 3ds.guide, to the letter I think, but upon inserting the Japanese version of Culdcept on my European console, the corresponding icon stays blank with a message saying that nothing is being detected in the cartridge slot.

I thought (most?) games from another region would just work transparently, since the guide says that “region changing is almost completely unnecessary since Luma3DS supports out-of-region games” without going any further. Is that not so?

Last edited by comokepa,

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been out of the 3ds hacking loop for years now, I still use a gateway 3ds flash card on firmware 4.5.
Which firmware version should I be on for installing custom firmware?
Will CFW support my ds flash card Acekard 2i?
What do I need to play backups?
Is it a difficult process?

Thanks!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello i have a great idea for the freeshop 2.

so we need an external database like cia3ds or other site of its kind and connect it online with the apk and so people pouron new download applications from the ds for free

tell me if it would be possible

and for misspelling I am French so I am obliged to use a translator.
Discussion about a freeShop successor can be seen in the later pages of:
Downloading from the Nintendo CDN server is out of the question.

How do I play out-of-region game cartridges? I hacked my new 3DS following 3ds.guide, to the letter I think, but upon inserting the Japanese version of Culdcept on my European console, the corresponding icon stays blank with a message saying that nothing is being detected in the cartridge slot.

I thought (most?) games from another region would just work transparently, since the guide says that “region changing is almost completely unnecessary since Luma3DS supports out-of-region games” without going any further. Is that not so?
Luma3DS game patching and locale emulation.

I've been out of the 3ds hacking loop for years now, I still use a gateway 3ds flash card on firmware 4.5.
Which firmware version should I be on for installing custom firmware?
Will CFW support my ds flash card Acekard 2i?
What do I need to play backups?
Is it a difficult process?

Thanks!
3ds.hacks.guide

Look into migrating your gateway games & saves to HOME Menu only.

SilverLife42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, there. Let me just make this clear that I have absolutely no idea how this works and this is my very first time doing this so I hope whoever can help answer my questions to please bare with me. I never would've imagined that the reason I'm doing this now is because my save data from Team Kirby Clash got corrupted to the point that I didn't do anything to make it corrupt that it just decided to start from square one after all that hard work and time spent to reach endgame. (At the very least, I didn't spend 30$ on Apples...). Sidenote: I would probably like to play Pokemon Shuffle again without the game somehow constantly rebooting from scratch as well but that's heavily time consuming and doesn't have an endgame... (This happened to me three times so it strucked out.) I wanted to know something regarding using certain tools for savefiles but I have questions regarding them so:

Question: 1) What exactly is "Custom Firmware" and is Luma3DS this acclaimed term and also used to help with save data files?

2) If I want to just protect and backup my savedata files/transfer them from 3ds to PC do I A. Just need Custom Firmware, JKSM/Checkpoint, and FBI to do this or B. There's a very long alternative option?

and 3) Do I need to use Homebrew/Modify my 3DS in anyway? (I only have one 3ds and would prefer that I just need the tools neded for save file troubleshooting and nothing else.)

I hope I made this as brief and as clear as possible. Thank you to anyone who has taken their time to read this.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Question: 1) What exactly is "Custom Firmware" and is Luma3DS this acclaimed term and also used to help with save data files?
Custom firmware (CFW) is a term for additional software that adds functions to the official firmware or removes “anti-features” (seen from the perspective of the user).

With “anti-features” I mean mostly signature checks:
  • Is the software signed by Nintendo?
  • Is the software for the same region as the console?
  • Or is the inserted cartridge on the whitelist (legacy DS games)?
But also the “feature” anti-save-restore. The 3DS operating system has a built-in option for backup/restore saves of installed titles – but refuses to do this on certain titles (like Pokemon) to prevent cheating.

Luma is pretty much THE CFW for 2/3DS nowadays.
2) If I want to just protect and backup my savedata files/transfer them from 3ds to PC do I A. Just need Custom Firmware, JKSM/Checkpoint, and FBI to do this or B. There's a very long alternative option?
Backing up saves from 3DS cartridges is possible with “Datel Powersaves” (pretty expensive for what it does).
and 3) Do I need to use Homebrew/Modify my 3DS in anyway? (I only have one 3ds and would prefer that I just need the tools neded for save file troubleshooting and nothing else.)
To backup things with the 3DS in way Nintendo does not want you to do, you obviously have to run homebrew software. JKSM may be able to start from *hax-payloads which means without installing full CFW - in this case you only need to start the Homebrew Launcher somehow. Depending on the official firmware version your device is on, there are different methods.

However – with CFW you can use JKSM/Checkpoint to backup saves of everything:
  • Installed titles
  • 3DS cartridges
  • DS cartridges
  • NAND preinstalled titles like Mii Plaza, Faceraiders… (JKSM)
I suggest to just read the guide from the beginning to the end. It can be overwhelming at first (long!) but this is only because it is an easy step-by-step guide.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/
What astonishes me is that you repeatedly got save corruption. This does not happen very often without manipulating.

The most frequent questions on that topic are:
  • Will this ban me from online gaming? → Most likely no - unless you cheat online or play leaked games before official release (not much an issue since there are not many new games anymore).
  • Does this harm the console? → No. The process is very safe and if you follow the guide line by line there is virtually no risk (make a NAND-backup for the case something goes terribly wrong in the future). You have to do stupid things on purpose to brick it, ignoring big red warnings that pop up before - like this one:
Warning.png

If you have any further questions - just ask again.

SilverLife42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. So I read through a dozen of paragraphs from some step by steps, and you weren't kidding about it being long. However, I think I sort of understand the gist of it and it's rather straightforward. I must say though the version of my firmware (11.9.0) is rather long but I'll have to reread it over and over since that methods a mouthful. I do however have one question: If I just wanted to do this for Savefile Management, can I just get the Luma3ds, the JKSM, and the FBI to get what I needed done or should I also look for the Homebrew as well since you did mention "somehow" in order for it to go through?

Sidenote: The first time my save file got corrupted was do to a spill on the floor near my sd card. The second time was just random out of nowhere one day when I wanted to play some Shuffle. The third time was when my 3DS XL decided to just stop working entirely when I had to postpone playing any games and just put it to sleep mode. The moment I went to open it back up it never resumed from it's sleep mode and put me in this limbo that I had to get repaired (I have no idea how that even happened since I've never done, touched, or dropped it at any certain point in my time with it). When it was repaired, the data resetted unfortunately.

Last edited by SilverLife42,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is repeating some of the above, but just to be clear:

If you only want to back up save data on your SD card, then technically you do not need any homebrew at all! All the data on your SD card is encrypted, but you can actually decrypt it on a PC using a program called fuse-3DS. fuse-3DS requires the encryption key in the form of moveable.sed, which is brute-force calculated without having to run any programs on your 3DS. This is the first step of the hacking process described in https://3ds.hacks.guide/seedminer .

If you want to restore data to your SD card, or if you want to back up cartridge saves, then you can do that using JKSM with steelhax. Steelhax is basically corrupted save data for the free game Steel Diver: Sub Wars, and the save data is encrypted using moveable.sed. Steelhax in turn lets you run the Homebrew Launcher. Without going any further, there's really not much you can do except run JKSM – but the good news is that getting rid of steelhax is just a trivial matter of getting rid of the Steel Diver: Sub Wars save data; no other persistent changes are made to your 3DS.

Most people will tell you just to install CFW (that is, boot9strap and Luma), which pretty much completely unlocks your 3DS, but if you're strictly interested in preserving your save data, why not stop there, says I? The only catch is that you need that complete unlock to back up Mii Plaza, since it stores some save data in the internal memory of the 3DS. (Alternatively, you can get an ntrboot flashcart.)

I never would've imagined that the reason I'm doing this now is because my save data from Team Kirby Clash got corrupted to the point that I didn't do anything to make it corrupt that it just decided to start from square one after all that hard work and time spent to reach endgame. (At the very least, I didn't spend 30$ on Apples...). Sidenote: I would probably like to play Pokemon Shuffle again without the game somehow constantly rebooting from scratch as well but that's heavily time consuming and doesn't have an endgame... (This happened to me three times so it strucked out.)
This sounds like your SD card is failing. You should get a new one as soon as you can.

Pokemon Shuffle uses "anti-savegame restore". If you load up the game, and the game subsequently cannot write to the SD card for some reason, then it will complain your data is corrupted – even if it's exactly the same as when the data was loaded up! The good news is that in this specific case you can still bypass the protection simply by backing up the data with JKSM and restoring it again right away. (It happened to me; that's the whole reason I started looking into all this in the first place.)

There's also a save game editor for Pokemon Shuffle that you can run on a PC, if you feel like it. On a system with CFW, you can also easily run cheats that will let you get unlimited items from the Shop.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

SilverLife42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Many thanks for the assistance regarding my questions @KleinesSinchen and @Kwyjor. I think that's about everything I needed to know. This was very helpful. I've pretty much got the step-by-step process you and the other nice person provided with that link. I can't wait to give it a go. Cheers.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a 'best known method' for installing a set of official 3DS themes to a system such that they can be managed through the system 'Change Theme' menu?

If I install custom themes using Anemone 3DS, can they be managed through the system 'Change Theme' menu?

If I install custom themes using Anemone 3DS, do I need to keep Anemone 3DS installed on my system, or could I, for example, inject Anemone into H&S, do what I need to do, then restore H&S?

WiseFool

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi everyone. I just picked up a used "new" 3DS XL.

I already have a switch with cfw installed.

Can someone give me how to start off with the 3ds.guide.
I mean I want to backup nand first but the guide has it later on. Is there something like Hekate for the 3ds to take a nand backup?

Basically I want to have a clean nand backup.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by WiseFool,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can someone give me how to start off with the 3ds.guide.
I mean I want to backup nand first but the guide has it later on.
That's because there's no way to backup the NAND without first installing CFW – unless you have an ntrboot flashcart.

(Things might have been different with older firmware versions, but those days are gone.)

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm living out of my car, he better make 600k a year