• Replies 53,796
  • Likes 43

Karstent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
How do I exactly convert games from No-Intro's Nintendo - Nintendo 3DS (Digital) (CDN) set to .cia files I can install on my 3DS? I've been trying to find information about it, but no dice.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
How do I exactly convert games from No-Intro's Nintendo - Nintendo 3DS (Digital) (CDN) set to .cia files I can install on my 3DS? I've been trying to find information about it, but no dice.
You can directly install the 3ds file with godmode9. Boot into godmode9, browse to where the games are in the sdcard, then install image.

Karstent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yep, in godmode9 you can mark several files for mass processing.
Oh really? Well that seems more enticing. I never looked that up. But the CDN dumps only have 2 files containing the game data, and a tmd file. Will that be enough? And, does it have a Select all option by any chance?

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh really? Well that seems more enticing. I never looked that up. But the CDN dumps only have 2 files containing the game data, and a tmd file. Will that be enough? And, does it have a Select all option by any chance?
That's another beast, more complex. Gm9 does the job too. IIRC you select the tmd file, then select which version install if there are several of them in the cdn dump. Make sure you have a not very old enctitlekeys.bin copied in the proper place, read the docs. Can't share any link, sorry.

Karstent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That's another beast, more complex. Gm9 does the job too. IIRC you select the tmd file, then select which version install if there are several of them in the cdn dump. Make sure you have a not very old enctitlekeys.bin copied in the proper place, read the docs. Can't share any link, sorry.
After doing a little research, they just appear to be akin to seeddb.bin, therefore enctitlekeys.bin simply has multiple .tik files inside it, right? I've got them as individual files, that won't be an issue.

It seems only a tmd and a cetk (a renamed .tik file from what I've been reading) are required for the process, which is what this script requires. Though apparently I need to rename them because it won't work. What should the folder structure look like?

Nevermind, I figured that out as well. The issue now is that the .cia is encrypted and neither Citra nor my 3DS will accept it. Another issue lol.

Last edited by Karstent,

Karstent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
What exactly makes you think that? And what do you mean that your 3DS will not accept it?

Does it install with FBI or custom-install?
Okay nevermind, the .cia I created installs just fine with FBI on my 3DS, although Citra is rather pickier, and it won't let me use that unencrypted .cia

Since we are at it, do you know what to do when a CDN dump has more than one tmd file?

I've got several such as tmd.2080 and tmd.4160, so I don't know how I should rename them for make_cdn_cia

Karstent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I would look for some documentation from whoever is providing the "CDN dump".
I hope you enclosed that in quotes because you genuinely don't know about No-Intro. Unfortunately, whoever provided it did just that, so I'm going to have to keep asking elsewhere about these extra files.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm relatively new to the 3DS hacking scene so pardon me if my question is a repeating one.
What's currently the best (and fastest) way to install games on your 3DS?

So far I've seen that hShop and FBI offer remote installs and, while very, very convenient, they're a bit slow. I've noticed that custom-install is a good alternative which installs games directly onto the SD card and all you need to do is to supply the app some prerequisites and rom files, followed by running the custom-install-finalize homebrew app once you're back on the 3DS.

Is it safe to install games this way? Is there something else that I've missed?
Thank you for your time.

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Where can I found info about using and adding cheats? I have checkpoint 3.7.4 installed and it listed some cheats for my games but when I went to use that Rosalina menu, it said there no cheats for it.
They're all european versions if it matters.

nekkutta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
upgrading b9s
tried searching, and didn't find anything succinct, Plailect's guide says to put the safebs9installer boot.firm in the sd root, was just wondering if I could use luma's chain loader to run it instead?

grencham

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, what are the limitations of 3ds homebrew and hardware hacking? Would it be possible to use homebrew to interface with a gsm breakout board so to use a 3ds as a cellularly connected device?

If not, would there be any chance to achieve a similar effect by routing that breakout board to something like a raspberry pi then have the pi and 3ds communicate or by even using voip shenanigans?

Thank you

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be possible
Lots of things are "possible".

would there be any chance to achieve a similar effect by routing that breakout board to something like a raspberry pi then have the pi and 3ds communicate or by even using voip shenanigans?
Why mess around with a breakout board when you can just do everything through wifi?

grencham

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of things are "possible".
So you aren't aware of any reason that doing so would be not possible. Thanks.

Why mess around with a breakout board when you can just do everything through wifi?
VOIP is notoriously sensitive to loss of signal quality, latency, etc, it's a compromise I'm willing to make if there is no other option but I would prefer to make use of the cellular network. This also would hypothetically allow me to use my existing sim card and number in order to make and receive calls and texts as well as have reliable internet wherever service is available.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you aren't aware of any reason that doing so would be not possible.
Why wouldn't it be possible? You could rip out all the internals and design new ICs from scratch if you had hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to spare. Guess that makes it "possible".

VOIP is notoriously sensitive to loss of signal quality, latency, etc, it's a compromise I'm willing to make if there is no other option but I would prefer to make use of the cellular network. This also would hypothetically allow me to use my existing sim card and number in order to make and receive calls and texts as well as have reliable internet wherever service is available.
You'd still be stuck with an underpowered device ten years out of date with a tiny low-resolution screen inferior in almost every way to an entry-level smartphone.

grencham

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldn't it be possible? You could rip out all the internals and design new ICs from scratch if you had hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to spare. Guess that makes it "possible".
Yes :), though I specifically meant would it be possible with add-on boards rather than a custom design from the ground up. At this point I'm considering chucking in a pi and just doing 3ds emulation or something

You'd still be stuck with an underpowered device ten years out of date with a tiny low-resolution screen inferior in almost every way to an entry-level smartphone.
Yes :), but the rule of cool applies imo so I see no issues
Couldn't you just create a wifi Hotspot with your phone, then link the 2/3DS to it. (when out n about)
Sure, but ultimately I'd like to hack together a single device, I think it would be cool ( and also hilarious) to be in a meeting or party and whip out my 3ds and call my mom or order a pizza. Plus it sounds like a fun project whereas a hotspot is really easy and not fun

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper