Hacking 3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

• Thread starter Cyan
  • Start date
  • Views 4,470,725
  • Replies 53,775
  • Likes 43

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i switched my header on games but my save data is corrupted? way to keep the saves?

RPG_Fan_1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The instructions would work, but as you said, you would lose any CIAs and such. (On step 1, an unformatted card wouldn't work, because you wouldn't be able to put Launcher.dat onto it.) Gateway's .sav files would transfer just fine, since they aren't part of the emuNand or anything, but save files for installed games would probably not transfer. Also, formatting emuNand wipes the card, so you should include a step of copying the sysNand backup to the computer between 3 and 4. When completely done with the old 2GB card, the Windows utility "diskpart" can be used to red

EmuNand Tool is literally two buttons, "Extract emuNAND" and "Inject NAND to emuNAND". Even if you don't use it for this process, it's an important tool to have handy, as you should always make a backup of your emuNand before updating or doing anything that could cause problems (like installing system CIAs).

Thanks for all the instructions, it has really cleared up things a lot! I think I can write down a decent quick tutorial to help out my friend with upgrading to a bigger SD now! I also completely forgot about how formatting emunand erases everything in the card including any backups made at that moment (duh!), when I was writing the basic instructions lol. Thanks for pointing that out too. I guess I'll modify my instructions, and give both emunand tool and no emunand tool versions, and let him choose which works out best for him.

Last edited by RPG_Fan_1,

ongo_gablogian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question. I recently installed the mset exploit, so now I have the gateway 3.2.2 ds exploit installed. I then backed up my NAND and am planning on updating my firmware version from 4.5.0-4 to 4.5.0-7 with 3DSNUS. Since I have my NAND backed up, how would I go about restoring it if my system bricks. Thanks so much.

AvohkahTamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still running system firmware 9.2 so I can use Ninjhax and whatnot, but it's getting really tempting to upgrade so I can actually update my games and play online.

The biggest time-sensitive factor is redeeming my Club Nintendo Mewtwo DLC before the code expires next month.If I can't find a solution by then, I'll probably end up updating my firmware.

My question: If I were to invest in a Gateway card and create an emuNAND, could I then update that emuNAND to 9.8 (supported as of a couple days ago) and access the eShop / update my retail cartridge games?

Also, if I update my retail games via emuNAND, does that present any risk if I attempt to launch those games without Gateway?

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll just post my question here.

I have a 9.8 Japan New 3DS LL. Anyway I can do to make it region-free so that it can play US game carts?

Please quote or tag me. Thank you.

komatta

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 9.2.20J N3DS LL. I own 2 copies of Cubic Ninja and no flash carts.
I successfully got the Gateway Loader to load via Ninjhax.
The First thing that I did was to back up my NAND.
I then dumped my New Super Mario Bros.2 cart to a .3ds file.
Next, I used 3DS Simple CIA Converter 3.1 to create a ncchinfo.bin file from the dumped 3ds file.
This is where I get stuck.
What do I need to do next in order to create the xorpad file?
I think that I am supposed to use Decrypt9 but that does not work for me.
The original Decrypt9 file loads up a black screen and appears to do nothing.
The modified Decrypt9 file kicks me back to the home menu with a pop-up error message showing.
Are there any step by step tutorials on how to generate that xorpad file?

zongalito

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
i have a question about pasta CFW. i want to install the gba games on my 3ds. and to do it i have to install 0004013800000202.cia on the sysnand. and the only way to do so is using pasta CFW. and i'm a gateway user so i have a ds flashcard, plus my 3ds is 4.2. and my question is about how to run pasta cfw because all the tutorials are for people without ds flashcard, or with the ninjax, or using palantine cfw to transfer a cia from pc to 3ds on the internet. but that last method never worked for me, i hope somebody tell me the steps to follow to properly use the pasta cfw on my 3ds using my DS flashcard, and then install the 0004013800000202.cia to play gba games on sysnand
thanks.

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know what firmware new3DS systems come with right now out of the factory? For example, if I walk into my local gamestop/best buy/whatever today and buy a new3DS, will it probably be above 9.2? I'm wondering for pasta CFW purposes.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll just post my question here.

I have a 9.8 Japan New 3DS LL. Anyway I can do to make it region-free so that it can play US game carts?

Please quote or tag me. Thank you.

Yes I believe you can. Check out regionfour: http://smealum.net/regionfour/

You will need a copy of Cubic Ninja though.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Jersey
I have an old Acekard 2 (not 2i) from my DS Lite running AKAIO. If I transfer all my data from an R4 Card to play DS Roms on my N3DS, will I lose all my saves and everything?
Also, recommendations for a DS Mode Flashcart for N3DS?

drinkmen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
im still problem with blue card and DS game? n3d3 9.0 FW not working, i tried everything and no chance to play old pokemon DS games

cg2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello everyone - I've been out of the scene for quite a while and now I'm trying to revive my 3DS to play Zelda Majora's Mask 3D. I'm still running 4.4.0-10U with R4i Gold Deluxe. I downloaded .3ds game for Majora's Mask 3D and did the same procedure as I used to, to copy it to SDCard with Win32DiskImage app, the game icon shows up, but I just gets stuck at the Nintendo 3DS logo screen. Any suggestions? Do I need to update my firmware to play this? TIA.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm using pasta with cia's and I was wondering if those still don't have private headers if you made them from a rom.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm looking at the Japanese new 3DSs online and they look bomb as hell and they're basically as cheap if not cheaper than buying an American N3DSXL, which I don't really want. Is it possible to bypass region locking efficiently yet? Even with a flashcard or something? I just don't want an XL.

Also, as an aside, is it possible to install the fancy new CFWs and then not mess with cubic ninja ever again? I'd rather not be stuck with a shitty $45 game after install, but if I have to I'll do it. I've got an o3ds right now that should be within the firmware range.

Last edited by stinkoman,

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to update a 8.1 FW japanese new3ds to 9.0-9.2 that is 'noob friendly'? I've been looking around the net and all I can find is this:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-upgrading-8-1-0-0j-to-9-2-0-20j.384960/

which apparently shouldn't be done if you don't understand what you're doing (unfortunately this is the case for me). I also found something that stated some copies of super smash bros contain a 9.2 update, but only for USA region and not Japan. Any easier methods or ideas?

Last edited by thebatdadd,

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question. I recently installed the mset exploit, so now I have the gateway 3.2.2 ds exploit installed. I then backed up my NAND and am planning on updating my firmware version from 4.5.0-4 to 4.5.0-7 with 3DSNUS. Since I have my NAND backed up, how would I go about restoring it if my system bricks. Thanks so much.
If your system is functional enough to turn on and reach the launcher, you can use the Gateway Launcher to flash the NAND.BIN to system nand. Hold Up and press A on the "Downgrade Console" option to restore the backup. If your system cannot turn on, or you cannot reach the Launcher (because it's been updated past an exploitable System Version, or too damaged to reach the Launcher), then it will require a hardware mod to restore the nand. There are people on the forums who can install the hardware mod, if you do not wish to do it yourself.

I'm still running system firmware 9.2 so I can use Ninjhax and whatnot, but it's getting really tempting to upgrade so I can actually update my games and play online.

The biggest time-sensitive factor is redeeming my Club Nintendo Mewtwo DLC before the code expires next month.If I can't find a solution by then, I'll probably end up updating my firmware.

My question: If I were to invest in a Gateway card and create an emuNAND, could I then update that emuNAND to 9.8 (supported as of a couple days ago) and access the eShop / update my retail cartridge games?

Also, if I update my retail games via emuNAND, does that present any risk if I attempt to launch those games without Gateway?
Is your 3DS an Old 3DS, or a New 3DS? An Old 3DS can support emuNand of 9.8. You can create your emuNand, update it, access the eShop, get the updates, and everything will be fine. If you keep your nands linked, you can even extract the update and install it on sysNand as well, or you can just run the games on emuNand in Classic Mode (since you have retail cards), or extract the retail cards to .3DS files and use them with your red card. If you have a New 3DS or cannot get a Gateway card in time, there should be a couple methods of spoofing your System Version to access the eShop without updating your console available to you. I haven't read into them myself, but https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...eshop-and-more-on-new-3ds-and-old-3ds.386591/ is probably a good place to look.

i have a question about pasta CFW. i want to install the gba games on my 3ds. and to do it i have to install 0004013800000202.cia on the sysnand. and the only way to do so is using pasta CFW. and i'm a gateway user so i have a ds flashcard, plus my 3ds is 4.2. and my question is about how to run pasta cfw because all the tutorials are for people without ds flashcard, or with the ninjax, or using palantine cfw to transfer a cia from pc to 3ds on the internet. but that last method never worked for me, i hope somebody tell me the steps to follow to properly use the pasta cfw on my 3ds using my DS flashcard, and then install the 0004013800000202.cia to play gba games on sysnand
thanks.
You should be able to install CIA files to sysNand by using Gateway's "Boot Gateway Sysnand Mode". Have DevMenu.3ds on your red card, the CIA you want to install on your system SD card, and enter the Launcher menu. (Hold L while performing your usual exploit to reach the menu instead of automatically booting emuNand.) Highlight "Boot Gateway Mode" and hold B, and the text will change to "Boot Gateway Sysnand Mode". Press A while holding B, and it will prompt to make sure that's what you want to do. Press X to accept, and you will be running sysNand but with Gateway support enabled. Run DevMenu like you would any other game, and install the CIA, and it will be installed to sysNand.

Does anyone know what firmware new3DS systems come with right now out of the factory? For example, if I walk into my local gamestop/best buy/whatever today and buy a new3DS, will it probably be above 9.2? I'm wondering for pasta CFW purposes.
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
Yes I believe you can. Check out regionfour: http://smealum.net/regionfour/

You will need a copy of Cubic Ninja though.
New "New 3DS" units (Why must Nintendo be so terrible at naming things lately?) can come with System Versions both above and below 9.2. You can try comparing the serial numbers to get an idea of when it was manufactured, as that would determine what System Version is installed. There is a thread devoted to it at https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/

im still problem with blue card and DS game? n3d3 9.0 FW not working, i tried everything and no chance to play old pokemon DS games
The Blue Card will be blocked by most System Versions. I forget exactly which one blocks it. It can be unblocked by installing BlueCardFix.cia (included in the Gateway download) or FlashCardTimeWarp.cia to sysNand. Once either of those two have been installed, the Blue Card should work just fine in sysNand (it will not work in emuNand).

Hello,

Can I backup my EMUNAND (with emunandtool) and inject this emunand to another 3DS? Or do I have to restore this emunand only on the same 3DS?
Nands, including emuNands, are linked to the console they are created on, and cannot be used with any other console. Is there something specific you are trying to do? We might be able to offer a different solution if you tell us more about your desired result.

hamstrman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question... I tried to write a VERY new release to my microSD card and it said there was currently no support (in the template) for the games. I figured any release would be included in the template. A couple of the games AREN'T that new so... not sure there.

Last edited by hamstrman,

AvohkahTamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your 3DS an Old 3DS, or a New 3DS? An Old 3DS can support emuNand of 9.8. You can create your emuNand, update it, access the eShop, get the updates, and everything will be fine. If you keep your nands linked, you can even extract the update and install it on sysNand as well, or you can just run the games on emuNand in Classic Mode (since you have retail cards), or extract the retail cards to .3DS files and use them with your red card. If you have a New 3DS or cannot get a Gateway card in time, there should be a couple methods of spoofing your System Version to access the eShop without updating your console available to you. I haven't read into them myself, but https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...eshop-and-more-on-new-3ds-and-old-3ds.386591/ is probably a good place to look.
I appreciate the reply. I'm running an Old 3DS, should have mentioned that.

I guess I was misunderstanding how emuNand works, at least in terms of installing game updates / DLC; I was under the impression an update installed in emuNand would also update the game in sysNand, but I can see why that might not be the case. Having to link the nands / extract / install updates manually, along with possible long shipping times makes a Gateway sound like too much trouble just to get my games updated by next month (although I may still get one at some point). I'll look into spoofing my system version unless there's some better way. Hopefully I don't end up having to actually update my firmware...

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the reply. I'm running an Old 3DS, should have mentioned that.

I guess I was misunderstanding how emuNand works, at least in terms of installing game updates / DLC; I was under the impression an update installed in emuNand would also update the game in sysNand, but I can see why that might not be the case. Having to link the nands / extract / install updates manually, along with possible long shipping times makes a Gateway sound like too much trouble just to get my games updated by next month (although I may still get one at some point). I'll look into spoofing my system version unless there's some better way. Hopefully I don't end up having to actually update my firmware...
There are files inside the internal memory that are updated when software is installed (title.db and I think movable.sed? I am not 100% sure on the process.), so something installed on one is not immediately visible on the other. If the two are still linked, they'll share the same IDs, so a personal CIA can be extracted from one and installed on the other. Once the two are unlinked, it won't work, though. The two nands will be using different console IDs, seeing themselves as different 3DSes.

I believe the firmware spoofing can be done without any additional hardware, as long as you have an exploitable version of the browser (which you should). Once you have it, it'll be present in emuNand once you create it, since creating the emuNand causes to be an exact copy of your current sysNand. If you then format sysNand, your emuNand will be the only one that has legitimate access to the update/DLC. (For instance, I would be unable to play my eShop version of Smash Bros on sysNand, because sysNand appears to have never bought the game. I would have to somehow transfer my NNID to the "new" console sysNand became in order to do that. But I can play it just fine in emuNand, even in Classic Mode, because I never formatted emuNand after creating it.)

A game update will apply to both an eShop/CIA version of the game, as well as a retail/.3DS version of the game, as both use the same Title ID.

I hope this helps get a better understanding of how exactly emuNand works. If you still have questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I would recommend at this time, that you try to spoof your System Version to access the eShop and obtain the update. Not only would you be able to get the update much sooner, but if you plan to only use emuNand in the future, just about everything transfers pretty easily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool