Arnold Schwarzen

OP
Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
There doesn't seem to be any straight answer as far as how loud the 3DS speakers can be (I know software can be a factor too). I just want to know in general can we expect the same loudness present in the DSi, XL, a PSP, or perhaps even exceeding those? As long as it is pretty loud (unlike the DS Lite..) I am satisfied. You can't tell from videos because camcorder mics can pick up very low volume so that's certainly not the best way to tell. Of course we also want to know how the sound quality is and from what I hear it seems to be on a pretty good acceptable level IMO.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
actually, its only possible to tell by experience.
the vids are sometimes connected to the 3ds directly
either way, the sound quality is only as good as your pc's speakers.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Based on experience, the sound quality is much better than the DSi. The volume however is lacking, but that might be because I've tried the 3DS around many people at the time and I've only tried hearing the game sounds up close. I didn't get the chance to try playing with earphones.

The game I've played the longest was Lego Star Wars and the sound quality is almost as close as a console version of a Lego game.

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
when i heard it, i'm not sure if it was at max or not, but it seemed quite low. Around the same as a DS Lite :/

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Why would you need a loud console ? If you're playing in a shopping mall or whatever, just use headphones. The sound quality will also be better this way.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I too have always been confused by people that want their portable gaming systems to be mini-juke boxes... Simply put, I don't ever want to hear you playing your game console, if in ear headphones aren't an option for you, there are over the ear ones.

I shouldn't have to put up with your pokemanz crying on one side of the train and my hearing it on the other.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
Yes I too have always been confused by people that want their portable gaming systems to be mini-juke boxes... Simply put, I don't ever want to hear you playing your game console, if in ear headphones aren't an option for you, there are over the ear ones.

I shouldn't have to put up with your pokemanz crying on one side of the train and my hearing it on the other.
Well, aren't you just the little mind reader?
How'd you know he was gonna play it in public with the sound blasting?

Ichiban

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quoted from a review.

The system’s speakers are pleasing, too. They sound loud at maximum volume – louder than even the DSi – but even at higher volumes maintain sound quality. They also continue the impressive virtual surround sound effect that DS has wowed us with back in 2004.

It’s impressive for a handheld, where speakers are generally compromised. The mixture of higher sound quality due to less storage limitations over previous DS models and better speakers leads to a better sound experience than our previous DS models and even Apple’s iPad’s single mono speaker. It’s certainly streets above the speaker in the iPod Touch line, and the compromised PSP go speakers too.

Full review here: http://3dstribe.com/reviews/nintendo-3ds-review-hardware/

Arnold Schwarzen

OP
Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Ichiban, exactly what I've been looking for. And that being said most of the time I will be playing in doors and for various reasons I won't be using headphones all the time on it (can't hear other background noise like people calling my name, or phone ringing, share experience with other other, etc). Playing older DS games on the 3DS will certainly be a treat (especially if you're like me and going from a Lite to the 3DS).

Ichiban

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hehe np
smile.gif

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
most of the time I will be playing in doors and for various reasons I won't be using headphones all the time on it (can't hear other background noise like people calling my name, or phone ringing, share experience with other other, etc)

Still cannot understand it. If you're playing indoors at home, it's usually quite quiet there and even DSLite's speakers will do the job. If you're playing in a noisy place (school yard, airport, shopping mall), even the loudest speakers won't help. And if you're playing on a train or on a plane, then turning the volume up might be disturbing to other passangers.

Arnold Schwarzen

OP
Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
How bout the simple answer that I just like my volume louder cuz? Same with my laptop that stays home 95% of the time. You know it gets harder to hear when there are other noise in the background in the house.

Ravenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
pachura said:
Still cannot understand it. If you're playing indoors at home, it's usually quite quiet there and even DSLite's speakers will do the job. If you're playing in a noisy place (school yard, airport, shopping mall), even the loudest speakers won't help. And if you're playing on a train or on a plane, then turning the volume up might be disturbing to other passangers.

Umm... It's not that black and white. There's more than 1) pure silence and 2) a freaking airplane flying over your ear.

It's a portable console, it's supposed to be used anywhere.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ravenius said:
pachura said:

Umm... It's not that black and white. There's more than 1) pure silence and 2) a freaking airplane flying over your ear.

It's a portable console, it's supposed to be used anywhere.
The answer to all your problems = Headphones.

Ravenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well, headphones work, but why are the speakers there then anyway?
If you always replace something that should work out-of-the-box with some more accessories, you'll lose portability and money.

It should be playable as-is, with no need for any extra accessories. It's just more stuff to carry around if the speakers aren't loud enough in the beginning.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ravenius said:
Well, headphones work, but why are the speakers there then anyway?
If you always replace something that should work out-of-the-box with some more accessories, you'll lose portability and money.

It should be playable as-is, with no need for any extra accessories. It's just more stuff to carry around if the speakers aren't loud enough in the beginning.
Because the speakers do work? Just because they're not loud enough for you doesn't mean they don't work. And just because the 3DS has speakers doesn't mean you should always use them. Headphones can provide much better sound quality and allow you to play more privately. Not to mention headphones can make a game more immersive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1