Donald Serrot

OP
Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I want to try something here, with the 3DS on it's way out in a few short (read long) days a question keeps popping up in my head, "I wonder how well Streetpass will work in my area?" And my mind has a tendency to then wander around the possibilities. I think this could make an interesting social experiment. What I want to do is use this topic to collect the thoughts of various people from various places of various populations from around the world both before, and after the 3DS finally releases.

Here is what I want, just give your honest thoughts about how well you expect Streetpass to work for you in your area. Do you think you live in a Streetpass hotzone? A deadzone? I want to hear it. THEN, after a week or two I want to hear just how close (or off) you are with your thoughts. It's simple as that!
To start this off I'll throw out my thoughts. I live in a small west TX town where there is almost nothing to do. You are better off going out of town to find anything interesting. I see where I live as a deadzone for Streetpass, not much potential. HOWEVER, I work in the only coffeehouse in town, and the only place that has free public use Wi-Fi. If there is one place in this town where I would pick up anything from Streetpass this would be it. Especially since I'm usually here while school is letting out and all the parents in town think we are free babysitting or something. >_> So there is some potential, but it's just limited to one place. I'm interested in seeing how this works out for me.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I live in a populated town, but there is NO way Streetpass will work. It will work in school for maybe the first month, but the feature is useless outside of a major city.

I think it is a great idea, and will try to use it as much as possible, but it just doesn't work.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in a generally large town. I don't know if I'll get many StreetPass things outside, but maybe in a mall or something.

I'm expecting the majority of StreetPass (for me) to come from my local Gamestop.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If I get a 3DS, I may be the only one I will see who will have a 3DS here. dammit. not many handheld gamers here.

But i'm sure StreePass will work in Japan.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
It certainly won't be up to much until the system becomes more wide spread. With the stock so limited for Europe the chances of meeting anyone else with a 3DS are fairly slim, to be honest. That and I don't really think it's such a great idea. Surely in order for it to work the system needs to be either on or sleeping, both of which drain its already meagre battery life. I'd rather switch it off.

That and anyone that's wandering the streets of a highly populated area with a £200+ device in their hands is just pants-on-head retarded. I wouldn't go outside with a sandwich for fear of it being stolen by today's broken society in this city full of teenage no-hopers. Sod going out with my 3DS. It'll be locked in my safe when not in use.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in southern cali near the coast and there's no way it'll work in my area. I could try walking around a big mall we have nearby but i doubt many will be using that feature. The best would be to each annouce an event in your own area and see how many are willing to attend.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I live in a reasonably crowded city and I doubt my 3DS will ever come in range of another 3DS, i'm just not out enough for it to happen, the most time I spend outside of my house is driving to/from work and food shopping at 2am (when the staff at the store outweigh the customers)

So ya, no chance
glare.gif

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've seen young women take their DS out in tubes and trains around london. Give it time and maybe I'll see some with a 3DS.

Nope I don't see it working, noones's gonna stop to game with you apart from exchanging miis and game data on the fly.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I live in a very small city where I am just about the only Nintendo gamer, so apart from holidays, restaurants and things like that (I like to take my handhelds with me, plus I'm still a kid, more or less) or family members I'm pretty sure the thing will never see another 3DS within a mile.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people think they won't be using the feature...If someone has a 3DS and is carrying it around with them, they are probably using the feature because it's not like you have to actively do something for the feature to work.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Seraph said:
I don't understand why people think they won't be using the feature...If someone has a 3DS and is carrying it around with them, they are probably using the feature because it's not like you have to actively do something for the feature to work.
correct me if i'm wrong but, battery? and virus(probably)? or they just don't want to.

Luna

Trophies
XP
Country
I think there are more people in town's/City's who will buy a 3DS hen many people assume.

I think I'm not in a particular dead-zone but I won't take it out much. If I go on holiday/vacation then it will be put to use I suppose.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
Seraph said:
correct me if i'm wrong but, battery? and virus(probably)? or they just don't want to.
Battery? The 3DS uses very little battery when sleeping, and chances are that connections made between people won't kill the battery off very fast.

Virus? ...Really? Wow.
glare.gif

I'm sure that people would want to see their 3DS connect with others. Even if you don't want to do it for the info, you still get benefits in games like Find Mii and even Street Fighter.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Slyakin said:
Narayan said:
Seraph said:
Battery? The 3DS uses very little battery when sleeping, and chances are that connections made between people won't kill the battery off very fast.

Virus? ...Really? Wow.
glare.gif

I'm sure that people would want to see their 3DS connect with others. Even if you don't want to do it for the info, you still get benefits in games like Find Mii and even Street Fighter.
ahh, well it's just my idead. that's why i put something before my post. hehe thanks though.

Donald Serrot

OP
Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS doesn't have to do anything aside from send/receive a signal when it's sleeping. The battery should last (at least) a week in that state doing nothing else, maybe more. You play a game for a bit, close the 3DS, and head off to your next location. Along the way you pass someone else who also has their 3DS in sleep mode and data is passed. That's all there is to it. You see the data the next time you open the 3DS.

desam57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i live in southern cali. border la county and orange county. i think for the most part my are is deadzone. gamestop would probably be the only place around my house that streetpass would work. but the idea of a 3ds owners gathering at a place nearby woould be pretty cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.forbes.com/sites/caileygleeson/2024/05/29/walgreens-joins-target-amazon-walmart-in-an...