Edwii

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So, I have been skimming this section of the forums, and i see a lot of people speaking up proudly that they are not all that into pirating and simply like home-brew(commendable)
Some of these people have expressed they dont care about flashcards or even hoping that the big N will prevent them from working.
I felt like some one should state that pirating (tho can be selfish) has quite a few positives that even now many of us take for granted even if they have never pirated ever.

There are a few pros and cons to this issue.

I'll start with what i see to be the benefits of pirating
-forces developers to try harder and give the consumer more reason to pay then to take: adding online play features, discounts, msc extras to what comes with a game not just in it(pokewalker?)
-gives the consumer an outlet to be more in control of the market, rather then the market always having all the power in telling us what we want.
-in the pc world, pirate versions are often made better then the official version(some games require constant internet connection to be played even tho they are strictly single player games, pirate versions and tools often remove such blocks allowing people w/o internet or people who have laptops to play where every they may be) people who pirate these games again send a message to developers to make there games more user friendly.
-lowers price's
-in the console/handhold world, tho it has been getting easier to demo games for free, it is not always the case, one of the most annoying things is spending money on a game only to find out it is terrible, even worse is supporting "shovel-ware" developers enabling them to flood the market with even more crappy games.
-makes for a way of advertising many different titles and spreads the word of what is good to play.
-one of my fave features of flash carts is i can have all my games with me on 1 card in my pocket, i don't have to carry 10-15 different cards with me
-there are often games that I want to play but never come to my region
-sliding into the home-brew area of things, I love being able to play my old nes snes etc games (via emulator) that often have never and will never be redistributed on the system i'm using at the time.
-home-brew, thanks to home-brew we have things like open source cell phones/ operating systems/ tablets allowing any one to contribute something cool for free. Giving the community of consumers control over what they want devolved.

con's
-Indie developers that actually cared to make a fun game with limited resources that don't get the credit they deserve, and suffer for it.
-safety of your system's hardware is in question.

I admit I am bias to the benefits that come from pirating and have a hard time coming of with more con's. feel free to POLITELY add more or pick apart what i have said.

I hope the 3DS gets hacked wide open as the DS has been, I have enjoyed very much it has to offer. (especially when i was stuck in the hospital for 6 LONG months)
I have bought many a title I would have never even known about if it wasn't for pirating, and avoided many wasted transactions at the same time.

I like to live by the motto used by many "pirates"; If you like the game, buy it, if its not worth it then it's not worth playing in the first place. (I still LOVE having a flash cart to store them all on)

ps:
Please support Indie developers, and avoid shovel-ware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelware

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should be moved to blogs or something. The last thing we need in the 3DS Hacking forums is another piracy morality discussion.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
TehSkull said:
This should be moved to blogs or something. The last thing we need in the 3DS Hacking forums is another piracy morality discussion.

I second this.

And piracy doesn't make prices lower.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
I Agree with edwii
bow.gif

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Honestly most of your Pro Arguments are stupid (and i did pirate games too).

As first the 3DS isn´t a PC and even if people which pirate games report bugs they still don´t buy them (at least many of them).
Demos will be available.
You decide if you want to buy something so you already have control over the market.
Prices will not lower because people pirate more (that´s just plain stupid reasoning) or even make games better.
And so on.
The only two proper arguments i see in your list are about other region games and homebrew btw. programming for the 3DS.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Edwii said:
-forces developers to try harder and give the consumer more reason to pay then to take: adding online play features, discounts, msc extras to what comes with a game not just in it(pokewalker?)
If anything it makes them put less effort in....shovelware can sell just as much to casual gamers and costs a fraction to develop compared to big name games. A massive increase in piracy could put many devs out of work and increase the shovelware to decent game ratio just so publishers stay in the black.

-gives the consumer an outlet to be more in control of the market, rather then the market always having all the power in telling us what we want.
The consumer is in control already...purchase power. If you don't like it don't buy it...piracy isn't even relevant....

-in the pc world, pirate versions are often made better then the official version(some games require constant internet connection to be played even tho they are strictly single player games, pirate versions and tools often remove such blocks allowing people w/o internet or people who have laptops to play where every they may be) people who pirate these games again send a message to developers to make there games more user friendly.
Nonsensical...the measures you mention are intended to curtail piracy.....The last thing we want is everyone having an equal say in game development, else niche critically acclaimed games would die.

-lowers price's Just plain wrong

-in the console/handhold world, tho it has been getting easier to demo games for free, it is not always the case, one of the most annoying things is spending money on a game only to find out it is terrible, even worse is supporting "shovel-ware" developers enabling them to flood the market with even more crappy games.
Simple remedy...read many reviews, watch videos, play demos. If you're still not sure then wait and buy used or in a sale.

-makes for a way of advertising many different titles and spreads the word of what is good to play.
What? People admit that they tend to go off games faster if they get them for free....if anything this point would be unfairly detrimental to all but a few games.

-one of my fave features of flash carts is i can have all my games with me on 1 card in my pocket, i don't have to carry 10-15 different cards with me
Aww diddums. Invest in clothes with pockets.

Import them. Problem solved.

-sliding into the home-brew area of things, I love being able to play my old nes snes etc games (via emulator) that often have never and will never be redistributed on the system i'm using at the time.
Still illegal given ROM's are copyrighted. If you want to play them buy them from the Virtual Console, play the compilation games or buy the retro systems that offer built in games.

-home-brew, thanks to home-brew we have things like open source cell phones/ operating systems/ tablets allowing any one to contribute something cool for free. Giving the community of consumers control over what they want devolved.
No relevance to flashcarts....maybe homebrew on the systems of yore back in the 70's and 80's but not now.

I don't think you have any decent points....

D

Deleted_171835

-forces developers to try harder and give the consumer more reason to pay then to take: adding online play features, discounts, msc extras to what comes with a game not just in it(pokewalker?) Not true. All it does is motivate developers to add stricter DRM/Anti-Piracy or to not make the game at all.

-gives the consumer an outlet to be more in control of the market, rather then the market always having all the power in telling us what we want. Just don't purchase or pirate the game.

-in the pc world, pirate versions are often made better then the official version(some games require constant internet connection to be played even tho they are strictly single player games, pirate versions and tools often remove such blocks allowing people w/o internet or people who have laptops to play where every they may be) people who pirate these games again send a message to developers to make there games more user friendly. Not necessarily. Most of the time, you can't access online multiplayer.

-lowers price's I fail to see how piracy lowers the price of said game. Do explain.

-in the console/handhold world, tho it has been getting easier to demo games for free, it is not always the case, one of the most annoying things is spending money on a game only to find out it is terrible, even worse is supporting "shovel-ware" developers enabling them to flood the market with even more crappy games. I suppose. We do have stores like Blockbuster where you can rent games from, though. I fail to see how pirating a game "enables them (developers) to flood the market with even more crappy games", though.

-makes for a way of advertising many different titles and spreads the word of what is good to play. This point doesn't make any sense.

-one of my fave features of flash carts is i can have all my games with me on 1 card in my pocket, i don't have to carry 10-15 different cards with me I agree with you regarding this.

-there are often games that I want to play but never come to my region If you want the game that badly, import it.

-sliding into the home-brew area of things, I love being able to play my old nes snes etc games (via emulator) that often have never and will never be redistributed on the system i'm using at the time. If there is no other way to legitimately purchase the game, then I don't disagree with pirating old games.

-home-brew, thanks to home-brew we have things like open source cell phones/ operating systems/ tablets allowing any one to contribute something cool for free. Giving the community of consumers control over what they want devolved. What does this have to do with piracy?

con's
-Indie developers that actually cared to make a fun game with limited resources that don't get the credit they deserve, and suffer for it. It's not just indie developers. It's developers in general.

-safety of your system's hardware is in question. Huh?

I admit I am bias to the benefits that come from pirating and have a hard time coming of with more con's. feel free to POLITELY add more or pick apart what i have said. It irritates me when people like you try to justify piracy. The only reason you're pirating the game is because you don't want to spend money purchasing it. 'Nuff said.
[/p]

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edwii said:
So, I have been skimming this section of the forums, and i see a lot of people speaking up proudly that they are not all that into pirating and simply like home-brew(commendable)
Some of these people have expressed they dont care about flashcards or even hoping that the big N will prevent them from working.
I felt like some one should state that pirating (tho can be selfish) has quite a few positives that even now many of us take for granted even if they have never pirated ever.

There are a few pros and cons to this issue.

How does that force developers to try harder? Wouldn't they try less?

You have all the power to buy what you want. No one has control over what you buy.

Not really. I actually found more problems with pirated versions than official ones.

-lowers price's

That won't help at all.

I admit that I have pirated crappy games before, but demos are what demos are. For trying the game out.

I don't get this one.

This is a good point.

Than import them.

This is ok-ish

That's ok too.

con's
-Indie developers that actually cared to make a fun game with limited resources that don't get the credit they deserve, and suffer for it.

I haven't really seen this. Correct me of I'm wrong.

-safety of your system's hardware is in question.

You took that into account right when you tried to hack it.

D

Deleted-188346

I can agree with a few things that this guy has said. Although, a few of his points go beyond just the 3DS, such as the whole PC DRM issue.

I personally pirate because I simply don't have the money to purchase all the games that I would like. This is also the reason that everybody else pirates. You can rationalize it all you like, but we only pirate because we can't, or don't want to, spend money on games.

All his other reasons are just nice small benefits of pirating, not entire reasons for pirating.

After all, did anybody really pirate just because they don't like carrying their game cartridges around? There are $15 cartridge-holding cases around, you know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3