3DS To Allow Retail Software To Be Copied To System?

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I remember a few people saying that they buy a flash cart because they can't carry so many games.

Well, I want to see those people now buy all the games, and not buy a flash cart (when and if it will come out)
smileipb2.png

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I assume there will not be enough space to save more than 2~3 games at the same time ("max 2GByte games"). So buy->sell/bring back shouldn't be the biggest problem. And maybe nintendo already knows it will be hacked, so they this time try to be nicer to their users.

But if this is like we imagine, and if we get some kind of custom firmware working, it would mean it is possible to run retail games from memory -> No need for a flashcard

Uzumakijl

Trophies
Website
www.uzumakijl.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Rayder said:
It sounds like Ninty has taken to heart one of the reasons people pirate; so we don't have to carry multiple carts with us all the time.

Of course for me, that's not exactly my TOP reason for doing it.
smileipb2.png

Maybe everybody, me included likes steam, so making another theoretical comparison won't hurt
tongue.gif

So, all left is a "Free Week" thing, That way you could try everything just like you do with a flashcard, then you decide if you wanna buy it or not.

Anyways this seems like a pretty cool feature for me i hope they implement it i just hope 3DS is not region locked...

And regarding the "3DS will be always connected downloading things etc." thing, i swear Nintendo said you can turn that option off if you want so i don't think that will be an issue.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
leinad said:
And maybe nintendo already knows it will be hacked, so they this time try to be nicer to their users.

Would you be nice to sex offenders that kept offending? Being "nicer" in that way is like Nintendo take the side of the hackers. Not only would they lose money, but they'd lose all confidence with 3rd party companies, as well as people in their 1st and 2nd party establishments.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DiscostewSM said:
leinad said:
And maybe nintendo already knows it will be hacked, so they this time try to be nicer to their users.

Would you be nice to sex offenders that kept offending? Being "nicer" in that way is like Nintendo take the side of the hackers. Not only would they lose money, but they'd lose all confidence with 3rd party companies, as well as people in their 1st and 2nd party establishments.

Sure, hackers & hyper pirate not used to pay even a cent for software or games will not be stopped.
But if the console offers everything flashcards would do (except download-pirating), the majority might not bother about hacking, specialy if there will be bricking-risks.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Escape said:
Yea, I remember a few people saying that they buy a flash cart because they can't carry so many games.

Well, I want to see those people now buy all the games, and not buy a flash cart (when and if it will come out)
smileipb2.png
ok. Considering I already buy all the games I enjoy that are on my DS, this will be of no issue. The only issue being the lack of try before I buy which I've done on many titles I wasn't sure about only to find out it's completely awesome and buying it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
leinad said:
DiscostewSM said:
leinad said:

Sure, hackers & hyper pirate not used to pay even a cent for software or games will not be stopped.
But if the console offers everything flashcards would do (except download-pirating), the majority might not bother about hacking, specialy if there will be bricking-risks.

It is unfortunate that the homebrew community relies on hacking to get things working for them. If pirates relied on these homebrew hackers, and Nintendo gave the homebrew community access while keeping security high so that they didn't need to hack, that could help, even if it was short term.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If anyone has actually watched the Iwata Asks segment with Konno then the feature in this topic is most likely only a tag mode like feature. Such as getting status updates with people around you for the games you have installed this feature to. So it doesn't actually sound like playing a game without the cart at all if you watch the interview.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Escape said:

smileipb2.png

I buy all my games now, but usually play them on a flashcart, and use an NDS Adapter Plus to update the save data on my actual cartridges every once in a while, after I've made enough progress on the flashcart.

I'd still like a 3DS flashcart, though, so as to still be able to distribute Wonder Cards to my Pokemon games with a second 3DS (once the inevitable time comes when a distro cart is dumped). Canada gets no events at all, and I don't want to directly AR hack or Pokesav my cartridge.

I also hope there's a device like the NDS Adapter that allows 3DS saves to be dumped to *.sav files on your computer. I like having backups.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
It's insane to think the 3DS will let you install games to it's internal memory! If it does have internal storage, it'll be for saves and maybe music and films as they're suggesting the ability to watch 3D movies on the 3DS.

They also can't stop people making backups of their games as it isn't technically illegal to play a backup of something you own, providing you can prove you've purchased the original. And the 1-install-per-cart route is a ridiculous waste of cash on Nintendo's part! Why make carts??

To me, it seems they want to move towards online-only game distribution as believe it or not, piracy isn't the biggest problem facing game developers, it's game re-sale. You buy your game, complete it, then take it to a second-hand game shop to be sold on to someone else. When it is, the developer only gets paid once for the game, yet two people get legal copies and this is what they want to stamp out. Online distribution is the way to do this but if they made the jump straight to online only, they would isolate a section of gamers who have no need or want for internet gaming. They paid $200 for a gaming device and they have to pay an ISP for an internet subscription too, even if they only thing they'd use it for is downloading DS games?? Ridiculous!

I honestly do hope Nintendo start winning this piracy war but if/when they do, I hope it doesn't come at the cost of Homebrew developers. I love those guys and they're the reason for my flashcart(s)!

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seraph said:
If anyone has actually watched the Iwata Asks segment with Konno then the feature in this topic is most likely only a tag mode like feature. Such as getting status updates with people around you for the games you have installed this feature to. So it doesn't actually sound like playing a game without the cart at all if you watch the interview.
Just to make sure people actually read it. The interview is actually from Nintendo so it sounds more accurate than the source of tis article does

D

Deleted_171835

LelouchVII said:
If it is stolen, it would contain all of your games, while, a normal DS would only contain 1 game.
You can still keep your game cart, though?
This is just an alternate method of accessing your games.

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The reason flashcart's are convenient is for the ability to store multiple games without swapping carts. I have lost many DS games because they are way to small and a carrying case is kinda childish. If Nintendo goes with the backing up of games directly to the 3DS it would make things convenient enough so that the younger audience can easily keep track of there games without the worry about the loss of them. It would make sense to have product codes so that you would have to buy new but it should definitely not be stuck to one 3DS system. I would feel more motivated to go out an buy a game new apposed to used if they made it so I could have it directly on my console as well as keeping the availability to play my game I own on a second console in case it gets broke/lost/stolen. Another thing is i plan to get a 3DS for myself and my younger sister and we live in the same household so it just seems like it's fair to be able to swap games in and out because she is still to young to work for games and I'm pretty broke so buying a game is hard enough.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:
& what if you don't have WIFI connection ??? I don't @ home or in work & I don't have my DS switched on when I go to/from work... does this mean I won't be able to play any games because it can't check to see if it's legit ????

its not a feature that you have to use, if you dont have wi-fi, you cant use it. it doesnt stop you from playing games.

QUOTE(altorn @ Jun 18 2010, 12:21 AM) Instead of keeping the battle against piracy, they could sell games cheaper so people will want to buy the games.

Buying a couple of games for 20bucks will come a long way, for companies and users alike.
Even if each sell wont make up for a company's expenses for the game and publishing, the volume of people buying the game will make up for it.

that's one of the reasons why there are many pirates, because games are a bit too costly. most people cannot buy each and every game they want (especially now that games, good games even, come out very fast and simultaneously)

I can afford games but I still pirate, my reason is to not bring my carts with me if i go out.

this argument is silly. time and time again, pirates will always find some reason to try and justify. no one can guarantee there being enough people to fill the margin. a game sells at $30, and 250k copies sell, thats 750k returned, game sells at $20, they'd need 375k copies to sell and get the same amount of return. no one can guarantee there being another 125k people willing to buy the game, maybe another 20-30k. publishers and retailers aren't going to go off a couple surveys and suddenly change their prices.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
They're just begging for this thing to be hacked! They better have some good AP on it, while they'll still sell lots of games 3rd parties do tend to struggle unless they have a huge hit.
I agree, they're just making this too easy for us.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't sound like an idea Nintendo would use, but it would be nice.
Would lesson the reason to get a flash cartridge though I'd still prefer homebrew over "official" functions.

I hope the feature stays when its released. I would love to have my most played games on the go.
Though its easy enough to cart some carts around now and then so I'd probably just stick to the internal space or SD cards.

Hacking wise, I really hope we can see some nice features.
AP shouldn't be too much of a problem, though usually its hardware thats the hardest to deal with.
If only they would give us a way to program for it so we dont need to hack. Would be nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg