Hardware A bizarre misadventure with the SD-slot of my dear DSi

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone. I was lazily playing a dsiware game (launched via TWL++ from SD slot) on my faithful DSi and suddenly it freezes for no apparent reason. I reset the console by returning to the DSi menu, but selecting Flipnote does not detect the presence of the SD card (precisely micro SD + adapter). Even through the camera software results in the absence of the SD card. I turn off the console, remove and put back the SD card several times, reset several times, and try again, but the DSi will not read the card.
At this point I fear the worst; that the entire SD card is corrupted! :ohnoes:
I insert it into the SD-reader and plug the latter into the PC but, to my surprise, the data is intact and everything is fine.

It immediately occurs to me that it is a contact problem in the DSi's slot, so I replace the adapter with a newer Sandisk one, insert the micro SD into it, and put it in the DSi's slot; et voila, the console magically goes back to reading the SD without any problems. For this time, happy ending. :wink:

There remains the unsolved mystery of how, without apparent cause, without having taken any knocks or jolts, the console stopped recognizing the previous adapter while recognizing this seemingly identical one with no problems. Out of curiosity, has this ever happened to any of you? :unsure:

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So DSi has stopped seeing the card through one specific microSD to SD adapter?
By the way, when you tested this card on a PC via card reader, did you also use this specific adapter?
So it's only the DSi that doesn't like this specific adapter?

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So DSi has stopped seeing the card through one specific microSD to SD adapter?
By the way, when you tested this card on a PC via card reader, did you also use this specific adapter?
So it's only the DSi that doesn't like this specific adapter?
Yeah, the Kingston adapter was no longer being read by the DSi (but previously it was) but was being read by the SD Card Reader, then inserted into the PC.

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Flimsy mirco-SD adapters. They go bad all the time. Works in one reader but not another. Doesn't work at all. Works sometimes…
To get around potential problems with bad quality adapters (which introduce another potential point of failure¹), it is a good idea to simply use full-sized SDs for devices with full-sized slot.

Please don't say it.

====
Most of the time micro-SD in adapter works… until is suddenly doesn't

Reactions: CoolMe and Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Please don't say it.
Reaction to this vague and obscure warning:

6a7e691b-a01f-4c9b-ae36-9cb14893a76a_text.gif

Last edited by Nikokaro,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Nikokaro
Technically such a post – picture/meme only – is against the rules.
So at least explain what this has to do with the topic. I'm too dumb, yes

I'm much too happy at the moment for an animated gif getting on my nerves.

Some fancy ultra-modern full-sized SD cards nowadays look something like this inside:
With the difference that the internal contacts will not wear because the µSD inside won't get removed normally.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Technically such a post – picture/meme only – is against the rules.
So at least explain what this has to do with the topic.
1) Technically it is not only a meme, but also a quoted text;

2) What does your "don't say it" have to do with the topic? All I did was ask you for an explanation of that expression in an indirect and funny way (for everyone, not for you).

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
2) What does your "don't say it" have to do with the topic?
Was I too cryptic? Dang it! Hard to find the balance. It was not for trying to take your thread off-topic!

It fits here, but not only here. Experience: Whenever I give you an advise or a possible solution, there is a high probability you will answer it with: "I don't have […] and can't do that."
My advise here is:

"Just use full-sized SDs to have one possible point of failure less." and I feared something like: "I don't have a full-sized SD and/or a reader for them"
A little frustration about your lack of interest in getting your hands on a proper Windows or Linux machine, which would make things a lot more easier in many cases.
Again: Not a joke, if I was near you, I'd give you a old but usable computer just to solve that problem (most of that stuff didn't cost me a penny).

But don't take my "Please don't say it." too seriously. Maybe it was just a side-product of the rare instance of feeling overwhelmingly well and happy. I don't know. Maybe I post some kind of bizarre humor because of this?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Might be either faulty SD Adapter or faulty DSi contacts.

Blow into the DSi SD Card Slot and try again. If it works it's just dirty contacts.

If not, try damping a smooth toothbrush with a bit of alcohol (not water! nor soap!) and wipe the DSi SD Card Slot. If it works it was just dirty contacts.

If not, try opening your DSi to visually find the cause of the problem, i.e. desoldered joints/points.
After this step it's obvious what's wrong and how to fix.

Alternatively, clean your SD Card Adapter, that's where the miniSD slot is (with toothbrush+alcohol) and the outer card's pins... sometimes oil might prevent proper contact, and by oil I mean fingerprints.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not a joke, if I was near you, I'd give you a old but usable computer just to solve that problem (most of that stuff didn't cost me a penny).
The fact that I do not buy a new or used but more modern PC is not because I cannot afford it, but because I have no interest in it. I already use it at work unwillingly and almost nauseously, let alone at home: life and time are too precious to throw them away like that.
Have I made myself clear? Thank you anyway for the thought and the kind offer. :)

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have only one guess:
It is possible that this specific DSi slot is more tighter/stronger/springly and (or otherwise) warps or tilts the slim body of the adapter and interconnecting conductors inside of adapter (they are very thin). So there is a contact disruption - for example, one of the pins has loosened its seat and has become more loose than before. But this specific PC card reader slot is softer, it doesn't spring as much, and so the reading of card is going fine.

With the difference that the internal contacts will not wear because the µSD inside won't get removed normally.
That's if the manufacturer is generous with the material and coating of the contacts. Or you might come across a more flawed 'hello contacts oxidation' version.

Attachments

• 917aa9.jpg
    917aa9.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 43

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@JuanBaNaNa , thanks for the advice, but maybe you didn't read the whole opening post. I solved the problem by replacing the Kingston adapter with a Sandisk one (evidently of higher quality).
Post automatically merged:

I have only one guess:
It is possible that this specific DSi slot is more tighter/stronger/springly and (or otherwise) warps or tilts the slim body of the adapter and interconnecting conductors inside of adapter (they are very thin). So there is a contact disruption - for example, one of the pins has loosened its seat and has become more loose than before. But this specific PC card reader slot is softer, it doesn't spring as much, and so the reading of card is going fine.
Bravo. Well said. I too surmised such an explanation. :wink:

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@JuanBaNaNa , thanks for the advice, but maybe you didn't read the whole opening post. I solved the problem by replacing the Kingston adapter with a Sandisk one (evidently of higher quality).
Post automatically merged:

Bravo. Well said. I too surmised such an explanation. :wink:
Sorry, tend to write as I think.
Yes, according to the last part of your origin post, I have a Kingston adapter that kinda refuses to live or die.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, i can also attend to the notion that sd card adapters most of the time they break start malfunctioning easily. The locking slider no longer registers it's unlocked, which can be mistaken for micro sd card going read-only (and is dying). Contact issues, works this time and not again soon after Etc.
So always keep a few close when you start having issues with one..

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be either faulty SD Adapter or faulty DSi contacts.

Blow into the DSi SD Card Slot and try again. If it works it's just dirty contacts.

If not, try damping a smooth toothbrush with a bit of alcohol (not water! nor soap!) and wipe the DSi SD Card Slot. If it works it was just dirty contacts.

If not, try opening your DSi to visually find the cause of the problem, i.e. desoldered joints/points.
After this step it's obvious what's wrong and how to fix.

Alternatively, clean your SD Card Adapter, that's where the miniSD slot is (with toothbrush+alcohol) and the outer card's pins... sometimes oil might prevent proper contact, and by oil I mean fingerprints.

Not to mention the SD Card's pins. [whatever they call them]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying