A disappointing price check for black friday in Europe

contezero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If something is big and profitable in U.S.A. we try to mirror it in Europe. This is the reason we are celebrating Halloween. Black friday is no exeption but, as everything you try to copy, the results aren't on a par with expectations.

This is an online store price check for new consoles in Italy. If you have datas from other Euroepan countries or U.S.A. feel free to add them, I'd like to know what are the average prices on black friday. For simplicity we can consider 1$ = 1€. All prices should include postage in the country of origin.

Italy (source: www.trovaprezzi.it, an online store comparator, ebay.it or google price comparator).

Note: the price are nice but nothing you couldn't expect with a normal special sale during the year. The only interesting offer is the Xbox one S all digital but the price is almost the same in all online store (129,99 euro) for the same bundle so, probably, is a reduced price from Microsoft to hit the price of Google Stadia bundle.

Xbox one X 1tb with 4 Gears of war games (include Gears 5)
299,99 euro

Xbox one S 1tb with two controllers, no games
199,99 euro

Xbox one S 1tb with Jedi Fallen Order
169,99 euro

Xbox one S all digital 1tb with 3 online only games
128,00 euro

Ps4 pro 1tb with Fortnite
279,99 euro

Ps4 pro 1tb 2 controllers no game
302,99 euro

Ps4 1tb slim with Fortnite
179,90 euro

Nintendo Switch lite
179,90 euro

Nintendo Switch
259,99 euro

Last edited by contezero,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"WARNING WARNING!!! YOU NOW GET TO READ THIS POST AT AN UNIQUE BLACK FRIDAY -10% DISCOUNT!!! KEEP ON READING FOR THE BEST ALL YEAR PRICE!!!"

Ahem...It's hard to compare prizes. In Europe, economies are still very different despite the euro, which is another layer of how things can be different. I've checked around for a switch, but can barely find it for (just) shy of 300 euro (without bundle or games). Still about 50-70 euro less than average, but still more than in Italy. It happens...

(note: I'd get one if I hadn't so much other expenses...my house renovation isn't paying for itself)

But if you ask me: the USA can keep their black friday (not that my opinion counts). The reason? Price cuts don't mean much if you can't establish a base value. In other words: these sorts of special days just incentivizes stores to jack up prizes for most other days.

The most bizarre is one I had at my job. Amidst the business mails, one of our secretaries was forced to "mail" the word that if we'd shop on the airport today, we'd get a 20% discount.
WHOA! 20% discount??? In a store chain that's not only all but next door, but also asks on average 75% more than your local supermarket? I'm sure they can't hold back the stampeding horde of shoppers! :unsure:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is Halloween an American import? Some have pondered whether it is an American reintroduction but import is a strong charge.

Anyway if you can fool people into thinking they are getting a good deal and you don't even have decades of expectations and fond memories of the concept to live up to then why would you offer a good deal?

Reactions: Alexander1970

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I visited Saturn located in Germany today because of “BLACK FRIDAY SALE”.

nintendo Switch for 288€,- instead of 299€,-

its really just a commercial trick instead of real promotions!
You can find a cheaper Switch on the internet and even when it’s not black Friday.
i was disappointed as well.

Last edited by MeAndHax,

contezero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is Halloween an American import? Some have pondered whether it is an American reintroduction but import is a strong charge.

Maybe in his original pagan form Halloween in an european tradition but in it's actual uber-commercial existence, with mask-parties, elaborates costumes, horror-themes house decoration it is American. 30 year ago nobody used to celebrate Halloween in Italy, it was just another american holiday we know about thru movies, books and comics from USA. and 60 years ago we barely know about his existance.

Fun fact (from wikipedia):
Italy and the "Great Watermelon"
When the Peanuts strip was first introduced in Italy, Halloween was almost unknown there as a festivity. The earlier translations turned the pumpkin into a watermelon ("Il Grande Cocomero") because it was felt as a more Mediterranean fruit-figure and its name sounded better. The intentional mistranslation did somehow stick in the Italian pop culture, so that it was kept in all the later translations. There was also a movie named after il grande cocomero in 1993.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pumpkin#Italy_and_the_"Great_Watermelon"

contezero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last update: cyber monday prices were the same and, two days later... still the same! Some offer were only rebranded as "Christmas", so no "special" offer for the black friday, only a special label.

Meanwhile Gamestop now sells the Xbox one S with 2 controller for 179,99; 20 euro less of the best price available on black friday.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L958sMz1kWs +2