A good day to die hard

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not getting emotional with the movie, but all the ones getting emotional are making my day. That's even better than the movie. The guy writing the article about that movie is obviously a Die Hard fanboy. I am also a Nintendo fanboy. The difference is that my world does not collapse when i see Nintendo titles such as Metroid Other M. I embrace them.

Are we reading the same article? The one i'm reading is explaining what made the original films good and how they've not moved so far from that point they've lost what made them stand out. If he was upset about it he'd be explaining why the movie is good, not why he agrees it was bad.

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Are we reading the same article? The one i'm reading is explaining what made the original films good and how they've not moved so far from that point they've lost what made them stand out. If he was upset about it he'd be explaining why the movie is good, not why he agrees it was bad.

You see, i start the conversation backwards to get people going.
So, i disagree with him (the critic) and i joke about it. Because he is unable to accept the fact that movies evolve with time. What he's saying is absolutely correct. In a 80s world where Stallone and Chuck Norris kill without remorse, here comes John McLane a mortal superhero. Valid. But that was the 80 ( i make this point over and over again with movies and time) so now Die Hard has to evolve. I personally enjoyed all die hard movies. John McLane kicks ass now, kind of like Chuck Norris back then, but you know what? It's great. There's great dialogue, action, cgi. So you can't compare it with 1980 anymore. The first one is great and it will remain great, but you can't compare it to the movies made 20 years later. You know why? Because it's 2013. So things have changed. Jokes have changed, social issues have changed. Many other things have changed.
If you're unable to accept this fact you're a fanboy on any field. There's nostalgia and there's progress. The critic is a fanboy in this case.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're unable to accept this fact you're a fanboy on any field. There's nostalgia and there's progress. The critic is a fanboy in this case.

But it's not a good movie in those terms. If it had evolved to offer something to the genre that'd be one thing, but you're seemingly upset that the Die Hard legacy can't turn a poor movie into a great one. Die Hard was always the preserve of John McClane's epicly bad day where he did unusual real-world (ish) stuff to save the day. This new movie reads just like every other action movie that's been made lately.

You can protest all you want, but it's you that's crying about people not liking a bad film based on it's Die Hard name. You need to accept that every brand can get tarnished with time and mismanagement.

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
You need to accept that every brand can get tarnished with time and mismanagement.

I do accept it. No disagreement. But i like this movie. I think it has evolved great in 20 years.

Also yet another Engert thread. Engert states his terrible opinion, gets buttflustered and makes accusations when no one agrees with him, then tries to go "lol u all got troled hard im master trole".

Unlike you, i don't seek for approval or agreement.
I am my own island.

Server Timeout

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
No one hug me?
You insensitive bastards!

Ok kids, what did we learn today? We learned (again) that you should never ever create a movie-opinion based on what someone tells you. Especially a crying diehard fanboy critic who is stuck in the eighties.
You may dislike this movie after watching it, and I may dislike this movie after watching it. But you dislike it on your own, not because some harward-law-school professor says so or the majority.
But, you may also like this movie. In the end it's you that matters.
And that ladies and gentlemen is the word of the day.

For any more questions please contact me at [email protected]
truck_nutz_dodge.jpg

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this shitfest so fuck this all I'm going to say why this movie is fucking terrible.

1. The directing. You can't tell what the fuck is going on 90% of the time. I can almost smell if a movie is going to be directed by a toddler if they start having the camera shake on static, boring shots. Like it feels as though, to keep production costs down, they decided against tripods and steady cam rigs. Action was so choppy and quick cut that it felt like a radio with poor reception. You only get snippets of information before it goes back to static. I know a lot of movies have this but at least some of those movies (such as the Bourne ones) have a decent story and pacing (more on these later).
  2. The pacing and tone. The movie was so jarring. It'd abruptly cut into an action scene, then cut to a brief scene trying to make the McClanes have an "emotional reunion" then go back to action. It felt so forced, like they realized they needed to have characterization but just couldn't fucking write anything. The dialogue between them isn't even good. It's just John going "I love you" and Jack going "I love you too now that we've bonded". Every fucking scene they're being emotional. Let's not forget the story.
  3. The story. Or should I say lack thereof. I won't go into the whole "Die Hard's small scale" thing, I'm judging this purely as a movie. It feels like nothing is at stake. They really just shoehorn in some reason to care. I wasn't huge on Live Free or Die Hard but at least it had stakes (his daughter, the entire United States). Plus it had a noticeable antagonist. Him and John were always throwing curveballs at each other. I wouldn't say it was a great dynamic but it was a dynamic. It was clear that he was the bad guy and you kinda understood all his motivations. Here, the bad guy just seems so... nonexistent. At first it's just the dancer guy (hell not even the McClanes could remember his name) but he's just a generic hired gun. Like he's literally just a suit. You'd think they'd put the light on the guy orchestrating this all, Viktor or whatever his name was. But he was only in a few scenes and it was mainly just to introduce plot points. So then (spoilers but who gives a shit) it moves to Yuri with his bullshit "IT WAS ME THE WHOLE TIME!" garbage. But this is like right in the last act. So you get an actual villain in the last act. So there's some fighting, he dies, everyone else dies, and then the movie's over. We never see what happens. They found all that uranium and nothing. Everyone just dies, it feels like there's no pay off for their actions.
  4. The special effects. The general rules on special effects are as follows. Good special effects are ones you don't notice. Special effects shouldn't be used to replace real work and effort but to enhance scenes that need them or use them to do the impossible. Like in Titanic, having the ship go down like that wouldn't be so good looking without special effects (they also used a ton of miniatures and models). Or Iron Man, you can't have Iron Man flying around like that without the special effects. And in both movies you don't notice the special effects or they look good enough that they pass off as real. Here, they're just so terrible. It's so noticeable. Plus they shouldn't use it to replace basic stunts like jumping out a window or watching a helicopter go down. Go watch Skyfall and look at those set pieces and stunts. A helicopter crashes into a mansion and it blows up. And it looks all fucking real.
  5. The action. Even as an action movie, this isn't good action. It's so samey. Literally the movie is about three set pieces. The first act is a car chase. The second act is a helicopter. The third act is... a helicopter again. They reuse so many stunts. Like they're constantly jumping out windows. Helicopters are constantly firing at them. Two of the three action scenes are the same. Besides the fact that they're so poorly cut that you have no idea what's happening, it's just the fucking same. Plus all the sets themselves are the same. Boring grey stereotypical Russian buildings. Live Free or Die Hard at least had him fighting in Washington DC, in some gas plant or something, riding a jet. It was silly but it was different and varied.
So no, this is not a bad Die Hard movie, it's just a bad movie.

Reactions: Gahars

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol at people who expect exposition and passable cinematography from "Bruce Willis Action Vehicle 131". The original Die Hard is probably my favorite movie ever. I also believe Die Hard 4.0 is the second best of the series. Poor CGI? Obliterates suspension of disbelief? The basic Die Hard "formula" has been the same since the beginning. An ordinary man in an extraordinary (and completely unbelievable) situation... Nothing has changed here.

And exhibit B:

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol at people who expect exposition and passable cinematography from "Bruce Willis Action Vehicle 131". The original Die Hard is probably my favorite movie ever. I also believe Die Hard 4.0 is the second best of the series. Poor CGI? Obliterates suspension of disbelief? The basic Die Hard "formula" has been the same since the beginning. An ordinary man in an extraordinary (and completely unbelievable) situation... Nothing has changed here.

I have no complaints with the infinite ammo and invincible heroes and typical action movie cliches. Every movie has them, I don't mind. It's not that that's bad. It's the fact that it's a fucking terrible movie. The other Die Hards may not be masterpieces but they're competent. This just isn't. Even when it comes to shlocky action movies (for the record I LOVED Sucker Punch), this is horrible.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
i wish bruce willis would do another film similar to looper before he retires. I don't wanna hear no more orchestra type music playin' on a trailer where he's gonna kill people. that doesn't feel right. who plays that type music while killing people?

psychopaths?? makes the movie seem like a game.

OT:

and skyfall is pure garbage. first time I finished a james bond movie and now I don't ever want to again. lame storyline, lame scenes... 6/10 movie.

are directors gonna add garbage cyber hacking story lines to movies in the near future? I can't take em' seriously at all. bring the 90's and 00's back!!!!

these cyber hacking skilled ultra smart killers...makes me laugh.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
A Good Day to Die Hard was a very average action movie. Decent effects shots, lots of guns, and a plot that is surprising to nobody. The whole thing with him and his son was like watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull again. What's next, Chuck Norris teams up with his lost son in a Missing in Action remake?

Skyfall was one of the worst Bond movies in my opinion, right up there with On Her Majesty's Secret Service (George Lazenby.... meh) and Tomorrow Never Dies (worst Bond villain EVER). Don't get me wrong, I love Bond movies and even have the Blu-Ray collection. Bond just wasn't enough...... Bond is the best I can describe Skyfall.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i wish bruce willis would do another film similar to looper before he retires. I don't wanna hear no more orchestra type music playin' on a trailer where he's gonna kill people. that doesn't feel right. who plays that type music while killing people?

OT:

and skyfall is pure garbage. first time I finished a james bond movie and now I don't ever want to again. lame storyline, lame scenes... 6/10 movie.

are directors gonna add garbage cyber hacking story lines to movies in the near future? I can't take em' seriously at all. bring the 90's and 00's back!!!!

I will never take you seriously.
Ever.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A) It's ironic. Like, that's pretty much the point.

wut

OT:

Film criticism with narutofan, ladies and gentlemen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @MysticStarlight, Hello