Apple A petition for Apple to sign all IOS firmwares

Shad0w136

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already know i'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but please take your time and sign this petition. A lot of people are fed up with Apple's degrading the performance of your iphone after every software update that they spam you with every time there is a new version, until you finally get annoyed and decide to update. When you do finally update you will be disappointed to see your battery percentage dive down and other issues that follow with that too.

Of course, a lot of us do realize that this comes with several security risks, and while apple is trying to protect us from them, shouldn't we be grown up enough to make the decision on our own to stay on IOS firmware with security risks? I doubt very much that if they did this, that it would leave a huge impact on their sales, and some developers want this as well because the simulator they use doesn't always work and this would be more efficient to them.

@iBSparkes makes some very interesting points for supporting this idea, and he is also encouraging people to sign the petition.

"You know, what if we were to start a petition to send to Apple requesting them to open the signing window for older firmwares? I mean we are all Apple customers and feel like we should be able to use the software that suits our individual devices best. It really is unfair for those of us who pay hundreds of dollars if not over a thousand to be stuck on a software that is problematic and unsatisfactory. Just as we are able to choose what software we use on our household computers, we should absolutely be able to choose the software we run on our mobile computers! I mean you can see the amount of interest and demand for earlier software versions not only from the jailbreak community but elsewhere. It is simply unfair and unacceptable from Apple to withhold our ability to choose. If it’s a security issue put it in the fine print like you do your terms and conditions Apple. We are adults and can make our own decisions.”

Thank you all for taking your time to read. I know it's a long shot and it may not happen, but it's at least worth a try.

https://www.change.org/p/apple-sign-all-ios-firmwares-2092900d-095d-4dcb-8cf5-33a15487cc64

Reactions: jpx86 and Zero72463

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree and support this (I'll sign the petition), if Apple wants to implement security patches for older IOS they can. I really hate IOS 11 though I loved IOS 9. I don't care if I can jailbreak it or not I just want to be on IOS 9 rather than 11. Although I wouldn't mind being on an older firmware even if I was at risk.

Last edited by Zero72463,

Shad0w136

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree and support this (I'll sign the petition), if Apple wants to implement security patches for older IOS they can. I really hate IOS 11 though I loved IOS 9. I don't care if I can jailbreak it or not I just want to be on IOS 9 rather than 11.

Wow I didn't even think of Apple putting more security on past versions, and that's very true!

During that whole "downgrade party", I managed to downgrade to ios 8.0 and now i'm stuck there in an activation lock lol, but I have no intentions at all of updating to the latest firmwares and losing a chance at at an untethered jailbreak.

Reactions: Zero72463

Shad0w136

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Signed.

But honestly, I doubt that this will go anywhere. Apple doesn't care what customers want.

BTW, I am an iPhone user.

Even though it probably won't happen, thanks for signing! We won't know unless we try right?

Shad0w136

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when will people learn petitions are utterly useless...
If you don't want to sign it, you don't have to, but we are just trying to be positive about this. We know it most likely isn't going to happen, but that hasn't deterred the 3000+ people that have already signed it.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already know i'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but please take your time and sign this petition. A lot of people are fed up with Apple's degrading the performance of your iphone after every software update that they spam you with every time there is a new version, until you finally get annoyed and decide to update. When you do finally update you will be disappointed to see your battery percentage dive down and other issues that follow with that too.

Of course, a lot of us do realize that this comes with several security risks, and while apple is trying to protect us from them, shouldn't we be grown up enough to make the decision on our own to stay on IOS firmware with security risks? I doubt very much that if they did this, that it would leave a huge impact on their sales, and some developers want this as well because the simulator they use doesn't always work and this would be more efficient to them.

@iBSparkes makes some very interesting points for supporting this idea, and he is also encouraging people to sign the petition.

"You know, what if we were to start a petition to send to Apple requesting them to open the signing window for older firmwares? I mean we are all Apple customers and feel like we should be able to use the software that suits our individual devices best. It really is unfair for those of us who pay hundreds of dollars if not over a thousand to be stuck on a software that is problematic and unsatisfactory. Just as we are able to choose what software we use on our household computers, we should absolutely be able to choose the software we run on our mobile computers! I mean you can see the amount of interest and demand for earlier software versions not only from the jailbreak community but elsewhere. It is simply unfair and unacceptable from Apple to withhold our ability to choose. If it’s a security issue put it in the fine print like you do your terms and conditions Apple. We are adults and can make our own decisions.”

Thank you all for taking your time to read. I know it's a long shot and it may not happen, but it's at least worth a try.

https://www.change.org/p/apple-sign-all-ios-firmwares-2092900d-095d-4dcb-8cf5-33a15487cc64
i think the only reason they dont sign older firms is because of jailbreaking

Shad0w136

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think the only reason they dont sign older firms is because of jailbreaking
Maybe, but why is that such an issue considering piracy would be pointless with most apps, as itunes would say something along the lines of "You need to be on the latest version to be able to use this app". With a jailbreak though, you have tweaks like lowerinstall, and app admin to be able to download and use the last application that was released for the IOS version you are on.

Ethan34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Myanmar (Burma)
If you don't want to sign it, you don't have to, but we are just trying to be positive about this. We know it most likely isn't going to happen, but that hasn't deterred the 3000+ people that have already signed it.
not really about signing it or not, but just the act of creating petitions is stupid in my opinions. if i could have 1 example of a petition that made a company change something....
but even then in this case we are talking about a product that was deisgned to only works with said signed by apple firmware. and its been like this since the ipod. if customers are ignorant enough to buy products as is then they shouldn't complain about mandatory firmware signing. people should inform themselves better about their products' "features" before buying. and to be honest, im still surprised - given most of their business practices -that they're still signing the last firmware of each and every one of their products. they could easily render old devices more than obsolete, yet first iphone firmware - and even my ipod mini from 15 years ago - are stil signed. so people honest shouldnt complain about that, and buy android/linux smartphone if they want something more open, instead of complaining about a proprietary softwares being proprietary..

Last edited by Ethan34,
Reactions: Shad0w136

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, but why is that such an issue considering piracy would be pointless with most apps, as itunes would say something along the lines of "You need to be on the latest version to be able to use this app". With a jailbreak though, you have tweaks like lowerinstall, and app admin to be able to download and use the last application that was released for the IOS version you are on.
another true thing because piracy is still possible on any firmware just mainly tweaks are not possible

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I agree and support this (I'll sign the petition), if Apple wants to implement security patches for older IOS they can. I really hate IOS 11 though I loved IOS 9. I don't care if I can jailbreak it or not I just want to be on IOS 9 rather than 11. Although I wouldn't mind being on an older firmware even if I was at risk.
I upgraded from iOS 9 to 11 and there isn’t much different really. Though one thing that annoys me is that the wifi button in the control center doesn’t disable wifi and you have to do it via the settings app. Other than that, it looks and feels like iOS 9 and you get a handy screen recorder.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I upgraded from iOS 9 to 11 and there isn’t much different really. Though one thing that annoys me is that the wifi button in the control center doesn’t disable wifi and you have to do it via the settings app. Other than that, it looks and feels like iOS 9 and you get a handy screen recorder.
yeah but with ios 9 you could still get screen recorders and with an update in ios 10 they slowed down a few devices on purpose without telling people also the performance is heavily dependent on the device like the iphone 5s is awful on ios 11

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
yeah but with ios 9 you could still get screen recorders and with an update in ios 10 they slowed down a few devices on purpose without telling people also the performance is heavily dependent on the device like the iphone 5s is awful on ios 11
Well you can always save your SHSH blobs are retain the restore ability from iTunes if you don’t want to update.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It won't work, but good luck, I hope it does.

6S+ here and I swear it just eats my battery to death compared to iOS 9. Also seems a bit laggier in some regards. I'd kill to go back to 9 over 10/11.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you can always save your SHSH blobs are retain the restore ability from iTunes if you don’t want to update.
cant create blobs if the firm you are running isnt being signed though

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

6S+ here and I swear it just eats my battery to death compared to iOS 9. Also seems a bit laggier in some regards. I'd kill to go back to 9 over 10/11.
yes ios11 kills battery life compared

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I see. Well I have an iPhone SE and its battery life was always shitty :P
cant create blobs if the firm you are running isnt being signed though
It would work if you saved them before Apple stopped signing your firmware. I agree there is nothing you can do if you haven’t already saved them.

Last edited by WiiUBricker,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

How long have you had your phone for? It might need a battery replacement. Apple is offering a discount, $29, on replacing batteries for a year because of the whole throttling debacle, to try to get on peoples good side. Iphone speed will also go to 100%, and improve performance with a new battery. Iphones are only throttled on a used old battery.

Last edited by SG854,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Well I have an iPhone SE and its battery life was always shitty :P

It would work if you saved them before Apple stopped signing your firmware. I agree there is nothing you can do if you haven’t already saved them.
I own 2 different iphone SE one on 10.3.3 one on 11.2.2 and the battery difference is massive compared i have tested it and with 0 apps open there is a difference

Reactions: Shad0w136

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
How long have you had your phone for? It might need a battery replacement. Apple is offering a discount, $29, on replacing batteries for a year because of the whole throttling debacle, to try to get on peoples good side. Iphone speed will also go to 100%, and improve performance with a new battery. Iphones are only throttled on a used old battery.
I was thinking to go do that, but testing the battery shows it's more than fine. I might as well bring it in for "repairs", though, but I'm not sure if it's the issue if my battery is supposedly still alright.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto