Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so the other day I was organizing the list of games I was interested in but hadn't gotten yet. One on the list was Hotel Dusk. I went to a certain website that shall remain nameless due to forum rules, to check out information about it, and saw that the US edition's file size was 80.1 MB, while the European version's was only 21.6! Am I missing something, or is the site? Because a discrepancy that large CAN'T be right. If anything, the European version should be LARGER by a small amount due to language support....

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What I'm seeing is 68 (U) and 72 (E).

Either they're miscounting, or they're applying some serious compression like 7-zip ultra, which wouldn't make much sense for a traditional distribution site... (though some rom sites will use 7-zip's ability to store multiple versions of a file while keeping only the original and any changes, sort of like how patches work), if they're listing the different regions on different pages that can't be it.

Either their version's corrupt or it's a mistake if it's rar or zip.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
okay. I suspected something similar. No the site doesn't use 7zip. The site I use for all the old-school console stuff (which happens to be located in Russia, yet is stable and has been used by me for years and years) now uses 7zip files, and also conveniently includes all the variants to a rom, including region differences and hacks.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well there is the two curious things where European version of First Zelda on DS (phantom) was put to 128mb rom because the data overlapped by few megs of the normal 64mb one. (literally, when you trim the rom it is ~65mb)

same on Rythm Heaven (What was "rhythm paradise" In europe) Was packed to 256mb rom when original was presumably in 128 rom.. .again, only five megs more data (making trimmed rom around 135megs or so)

Though, I think zipping etc hides that "extra fat" so... Well the ROM size of both versions is 128 megs and trimmed around 80 megs as said so cannot say much. (Get a better source
ph34r.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: *puts on my pirate hat* Go ahead. :) +1